Author Topic: Bradley Beal?  (Read 9237 times)

Bradley Beal?
« on: June 02, 2023, 02:07:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I think I’d swap JB for Beal at this point. He’s still in his prime and gave the Wizards 23pts/5ast/4rebs per game this season. Shooting splits of 50/36/84. He can dribble and I would trust his decision making a lot more than I do with Brown. I don’t have much confidence in JB anymore and he’s going to be 27 this year. Can’t say that he’s young and still learning the ropes at this stage. Plus, I’m pretty sure Tatum would be on board with adding his best friend to the roster.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Bradley Beal?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 02:15:06 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don't hate it, honestly. He's another guy you can trust with ball and he can make free throws in clutch moments.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 02:23:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Doesn't Beal also have a NTC? I feel like he's always in trade rumors but nothing ever happens lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 02:29:05 PM »

Offline Greenblood35

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
I'm all for exploring JB trades, particularly in light of the changes to the CBA. However, I just don't see how any JB trade gets done this offseason. Any team trading for him would have to consider him as a one-year rental. What incentive would Brown have to committing or even suggesting he might resign with that team. He wants his Supermax. Also, as soon as any wind of trade discussions comes out (and it will), that could ruin our chance to sign him, even to the Supermax. So, if Brad is going to trade him, he better be willing to come to agreement on that first phone call. I just don't see a deal happening. Seems much more likely they sign him to the Supermax, run it back, and then reevaluate next year (when it will be difficult to trade him at that point trying to find a partner to match the 50m).

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 02:29:32 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I think Beal would be better alongside Tatum than Brown is
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 02:35:11 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I'm all for exploring JB trades, particularly in light of the changes to the CBA. However, I just don't see how any JB trade gets done this offseason. Any team trading for him would have to consider him as a one-year rental. What incentive would Brown have to committing or even suggesting he might resign with that team. He wants his Supermax. Also, as soon as any wind of trade discussions comes out (and it will), that could ruin our chance to sign him, even to the Supermax. So, if Brad is going to trade him, he better be willing to come to agreement on that first phone call. I just don't see a deal happening. Seems much more likely they sign him to the Supermax, run it back, and then reevaluate next year (when it will be difficult to trade him at that point trying to find a partner to match the 50m).
This is why I think the main logical destination for JB (other than Boston) is Atlanta.  It's his hometown and maybe he has some inclination to sign long-term there.  Atlanta seems to be a logical trade partner as well.  They have redundancy in stars at the point guard position and we have redundancy in our wing position.  I think Trae for JB makes sense from a basketball standpoint (not sure about the money).  We will be losing something defensively, but we will be gaining someone who can shoot, make free throws and handle the basketball.

What would be even better would be if we can somehow move Brogdon in the deal and get John Collins back.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 02:45:53 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown had career highs for min/gm, shot/gm, and turnovers/gm this season.  Also, career highs for FTA, FT%, and Rebs.  A career low though for 3P%.  Brown had more points and more rebounds than Beal.  Beal had more assists but the same amount of turnovers (in fewer minutes).  Brown is bigger and has more defensive versatility. 

I don't see the need to trade for Beal.

I look at the general reaction here to Beal vs. Towns.  People seem to like Beal but don't want Towns (not everyone of course).  The complaint on Towns is he is bad on defense but that seems to also be the case for Beal.  A lot of people were saying that Denver wouldn't make the finals because of bad team defense.

It is hard to quantify defensive impact or liability but I see Beal as a volume scorer who would have the ball in his hands a lot but not much else.  Both Beal and Towns are regular all stars and occasional All-NBA.  As you expect Brown to be going forward.  I admit it is hard to rank these 3 but I can say that I like Beal the least of the 3.  Towns and Brown to me are kind of tied.  I like Towns' size but I like Brown too.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 02:47:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

They would trade JB after he signs the Super Max, which he could ink over the summer I believe. Course no team is going to give up much when he’s a flight risk. You sign him and after the waiting period is over, they can move him.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 03:15:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Doesn't Beal also have a NTC? I feel like he's always in trade rumors but nothing ever happens lol

Probably, but you’d have to imagine that at some point he will get sick of losing every season. Wizards are going nowhere.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 03:21:29 PM »

Offline Greenblood35

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11

They would trade JB after he signs the Super Max, which he could ink over the summer I believe. Course no team is going to give up much when he’s a flight risk. You sign him and after the waiting period is over, they can move him.

As I understand it, once he is signed to the Supermax this summer, they can't trade him for a year. So he would be gauranteed to be on the team for this coming season. They could trade him for the following season, and yes, the fact that he is locked in for 4 more years will have value, but the fact that he will be Supermaxed at 50+ per year will also decrease his value. It will also be tough to match that type of salary with a trade partner. It can be done, but I think options will be limited. As others have said, if you wanted to trade Jaylen (which I didn't), the time to do it was last offseason, but it didn't make sense then. C's are in a tough position. Hopefully Brad can get creative and work on improving around the J's. Think you will see one of Smart, Brogdon or White moved. Hoping its not White.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 03:52:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

As I understand it, once he is signed to the Supermax this summer, they can't trade him for a year. So he would be gauranteed to be on the team for this coming season. They could trade him for the following season, and yes, the fact that he is locked in for 4 more years will have value, but the fact that he will be Supermaxed at 50+ per year will also decrease his value. It will also be tough to match that type of salary with a trade partner. It can be done, but I think options will be limited. As others have said, if you wanted to trade Jaylen (which I didn't), the time to do it was last offseason, but it didn't make sense then. C's are in a tough position. Hopefully Brad can get creative and work on improving around the J's. Think you will see one of Smart, Brogdon or White moved. Hoping its not White.

He will actually be locked in for 5 more years.  The 2023-24 season is the last on his current contract at $32'ish and then the 5 year deal starts in 2024-25 season with the big money.  You point is relevant in any case.  John Wall was one of the first to sign a super big contract (I don't recall if it was actually a supermax contract).  That contract ended up being an albatross.  Klay Thompson too, many end up that way.  Barring catastrophic injury though, I think they will be able to trade him in the future.  It won't be easy, but it will be possible.  Some team will think he is the key to getting over the top.  Having one of these contracts on you team is one thing, having two of them is the problem.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 03:55:09 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

He will actually be locked in for 5 more years. The 2023-24 season is the last on his current contract at $32'ish and then the 5 year deal starts in 2024-25 season with the big money.  You point is relevant in any case.  John Wall was one of the first to sign a super big contract (I don't recall if it was actually a supermax contract).  That contract ended up being an albatross.  Klay Thompson too, many end up that way.  Barring catastrophic injury though, I think they will be able to trade him in the future.  It won't be easy, but it will be possible.  Some team will think he is the key to getting over the top.  Having one of these contracts on you team is one thing, having two of them is the problem.

I'm assuming the final year will be a PO, because it pretty much always is for star players.

As regards to Beal, I'm just not sure why the c's make this trade. He's 15 million dollars more expensive next year then more or less equally expensive as Jaylen the three years after that. So he doesn't solve your CBA problems.

He's three years older, a less healthy recently, plays a less premium position (combo guard vs wing) and has a no trade clause which makes him harder to move if you ever wanted to get off his contract.

It's just not enough of an upgrade, if at all, to overcome all that.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 04:43:19 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

He will actually be locked in for 5 more years. The 2023-24 season is the last on his current contract at $32'ish and then the 5 year deal starts in 2024-25 season with the big money.  You point is relevant in any case.  John Wall was one of the first to sign a super big contract (I don't recall if it was actually a supermax contract).  That contract ended up being an albatross.  Klay Thompson too, many end up that way.  Barring catastrophic injury though, I think they will be able to trade him in the future.  It won't be easy, but it will be possible.  Some team will think he is the key to getting over the top.  Having one of these contracts on you team is one thing, having two of them is the problem.

I'm assuming the final year will be a PO, because it pretty much always is for star players.

As regards to Beal, I'm just not sure why the c's make this trade. He's 15 million dollars more expensive next year then more or less equally expensive as Jaylen the three years after that. So he doesn't solve your CBA problems.

He's three years older, a less healthy recently, plays a less premium position (combo guard vs wing) and has a no trade clause which makes him harder to move if you ever wanted to get off his contract.

It's just not enough of an upgrade, if at all, to overcome all that.

I would have agreed with you before the season started and been against making a swap. However, after watching Jaylen crumble under pressure in the playoffs, I’d be willing to make the trade. Brown wasn’t just bad in the ECF, he was abysmal on both ends. Going to be near impossible to win a championship with him performing like that in crucial games. Brown also seems unable or unwilling to play off Tatum. It’s like he still won’t accept that Jayson is the #1 option on the team.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 04:55:17 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 04:51:25 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
JB for BB was always the rumored/idea trade last year. Now I'd be 100% for it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2023, 05:10:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Too injury-prone.  Do people want to pay $210 million over four years to a 30 year old who has missed at least a quarter of the season the past four years?  Who shot around 30% from 3PT the season before this one, and who had a sub-.500 eFG%?  Who doesn't play defense, and who has only played in 45 career playoff games?

For perspective, career playoff shooting:

Beal:44.2% FG%, 34.7% 3PT%, .501 eFG%

Brown: 47.9% FG%, 36.2% 3PT%, .548 eFG%

In his last playoff appearance, Beal averaged 4.0 turnovers per game.  But by all means, let's concentrate on one bad series for Brown.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 05:17:03 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes