Author Topic: KAT idea (link)  (Read 7283 times)

Re: KAT idea (link)
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2023, 04:28:17 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Minnesota would want Brown for KAT.. they got hose in the Garnett trade but not going doing it again..

I think they did about as well as any team losing a player of Garnett's caliber. Al Jefferson turned into a high-end big man. Gerald green was solid. If they hadn't botched the Johnny Flynn pick they would have been even happier.

Brown is arguably better than KAT. I don't think that trade makes sense.

What if we get KAT plus a rotational player, like Slo-Mo, for JB (and non-rotation guys to make the salaries work)

Something like this is similar value. Here's the problem: KAT has had just as many problems in less post-season games as Brown. We'd be running into similar issues about the ability to create against high-level playoff defenses. To me, this is like a "grass-is-greener" situation. We know what we have with Brown, but the unknown is attractive because of the what-might-be.

I want KAT to replace Al in our rotation. A shooter like KAT, if his defense could be developed a bit more, would open up the floor so much for Tatum and Brown. In the playoffs this year, playing Rob and Horford together was brutal because Al lost his shooting legs and Rob can't shoot. If we could pull defenders out more, I think Tatum and Brown would have been much more effective.

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2023, 05:51:33 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think we have the 3rd best realistic trade package for KAT, after thinking through the league. Here is my reasoning through this:

1. They can't trade Gobert for anywhere near the value they got, and they can't trade him for less value a year after they broke the bank for him. Therefore, they need to trade KAT.
2. Many teams are eliminated up front:
- Teams that would need to trade back a big that wouldn't fit with Gobert or have a big that wouldn't fit with KAT - Bucks (Lopez, Giannis), Sixers (Embiid), Cavs (Allen, Mobley), Raptors (Poetl, Siakim, Barnes), Magic (Banchero, Wagner, Carter Jr.), Wizards (Porzingis), Nuggets (Jokic), Grizzles (Jackson, Adams, Clarke), Kings (Sabonis), Suns (Ayton), Pelicans (Zion, Valancunas)
- Teams that don't have the either the players or the picks - Lakers, Mavs, Bulls, Clippers
- Teams that don't have anything to gain adding a player like KAT because of their timeline with their core - Spurs, Thunder, Jazz, Nets, Hornets, Pistons, Pacers
- Teams that KAT wouldn't fit their coaching philosophy - Rockets (Ime's defense and they've been rumored to be focusing on defensive bigs), Knicks (he's essentially a different version of Randle, so I'm not sure what is gained)

That leaves a few teams that I will rank their tradeable assets in descending order. I wouldn't personally trade all of the assets I list for KAT.
5. Blazers - #3, Nurkic, Simons, Sharpe (I don't think he's available) first rounders in 26 and 28
Not really a fan of Simons as a guy that can help the Wolves be better than they were this season, but if the Wolves are fans of Miller or Scoot (who makes less sense if you are getting Simons), this may make sense. The Wolves would immediately be worse with either player, but if they can keep their fanbase happy for a couple years, the future may be bright (which is something they've said for over a decade).

4 - Heat - Herro, Martin, Jovic, first rounders in 23, 27, and 29
This really depends on what you think of Herro. I'm not a fan, but I could see some teams getting excited about him. Maybe some teams think Martin has shown he can be continue to develop.

3 - Celtics - Smart, Brogdon, Grant Williams, Horford, first rounders in 24 and 26
Provides the Wolves with multiple high-end rotation players ready to compete now in the playoffs.

2 - Warriors - Poole, Wiggins, Kuminga, Moody, first rounders in 26 and 28
I like the idea of Wiggins going back to Minny as a fit with Edwards, but I genuinely don't think he's going anywhere. I'm not a fan of Poole. Kuminga and Moody haven't proven they are ready to compete in the playoffs yet, even though they do seem to have high upside. Would the Wolves take a chance on unproven prospects?

1 - Hawks - Murray, Collins, Hunter, Bodgonavic, Bey, Griffin, Johnson, first rounder in 23 (or 24) and 29
By far the best package that can be put together for KAT, but from all the news coming out of Atlanta, it seems they are committed to build the roster a different way. I doubt Snyder signed up for coaching the KAT-Young combo, which are two of the most uncoachable stars in the league, and he has a lot of pull in that organization.

I've brought this up a few times in a few ways on this thread. I genuinely think that if KAT becomes available, we'd be in the running to get him with our trade package.

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2023, 05:57:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
KAT signed an extension that begins in 2024 that is good for 4 years and $224m.

That's a lot of money for a guy who has won 4 playoff games in his career.
Didn't realise he played those games alone
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2023, 09:42:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
5. Blazers - #3, Nurkic, Simons, Sharpe (I don't think he's available) first rounders in 26 and 28
Not really a fan of Simons as a guy that can help the Wolves be better than they were this season, but if the Wolves are fans of Miller or Scoot (who makes less sense if you are getting Simons), this may make sense. The Wolves would immediately be worse with either player, but if they can keep their fanbase happy for a couple years, the future may be bright (which is something they've said for over a decade).

G: A Simons
G: A Edwards
F: B Miller
F: J McDaniels / K Anderson
C: R Gobert

Those 3 perimeter players would be a lot of fun playing off of Gobert as the fulcrum to their offense. Similar to what Gobert had in Utah with A Edwards taking over the Donovan Mitchell role. I like the offensive firepower and upside of Anfernee Simons and Brandon Miller more than I liked what Utah had alongside Gobert.

That team would be a lot of fun to watch.

Maybe they can even keep Conley and give them a true PG where needed whether it is as a starter with A Simons becoming the 6th man or Conley himself being the 6th man.

A pretty interesting small-ball lineup with Brandon Miller shifting over to PF, A Edwards to SF and Conley and A Simons in the backcourt. B Miller isn't big enough / thick enough to do that too often but against certain matchups he could get away with. A Edwards a little short but very strong. He could handle most SFs. 4 talented offensive threats around Gobert. Again, more than he had in Utah.

That would be a really good team.

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2023, 10:17:22 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I think we have the 3rd best realistic trade package for KAT, after thinking through the league. Here is my reasoning through this:

1. They can't trade Gobert for anywhere near the value they got, and they can't trade him for less value a year after they broke the bank for him. Therefore, they need to trade KAT.
2. Many teams are eliminated up front:
- Teams that would need to trade back a big that wouldn't fit with Gobert or have a big that wouldn't fit with KAT - Bucks (Lopez, Giannis), Sixers (Embiid), Cavs (Allen, Mobley), Raptors (Poetl, Siakim, Barnes), Magic (Banchero, Wagner, Carter Jr.), Wizards (Porzingis), Nuggets (Jokic), Grizzles (Jackson, Adams, Clarke), Kings (Sabonis), Suns (Ayton), Pelicans (Zion, Valancunas)
- Teams that don't have the either the players or the picks - Lakers, Mavs, Bulls, Clippers
- Teams that don't have anything to gain adding a player like KAT because of their timeline with their core - Spurs, Thunder, Jazz, Nets, Hornets, Pistons, Pacers
- Teams that KAT wouldn't fit their coaching philosophy - Rockets (Ime's defense and they've been rumored to be focusing on defensive bigs), Knicks (he's essentially a different version of Randle, so I'm not sure what is gained)

That leaves a few teams that I will rank their tradeable assets in descending order. I wouldn't personally trade all of the assets I list for KAT.

4 - Heat - Herro, Martin, Jovic, first rounders in 23, 27, and 29
This really depends on what you think of Herro. I'm not a fan, but I could see some teams getting excited about him. Maybe some teams think Martin has shown he can be continue to develop.

3 - Celtics - Smart, Brogdon, Grant Williams, Horford, first rounders in 24 and 26
Provides the Wolves with multiple high-end rotation players ready to compete now in the playoffs.

2 - Warriors - Poole, Wiggins, Kuminga, Moody, first rounders in 26 and 28
I like the idea of Wiggins going back to Minny as a fit with Edwards, but I genuinely don't think he's going anywhere. I'm not a fan of Poole. Kuminga and Moody haven't proven they are ready to compete in the playoffs yet, even though they do seem to have high upside. Would the Wolves take a chance on unproven prospects?

1 - Hawks - Murray, Collins, Hunter, Bodgonavic, Bey, Griffin, Johnson, first rounder in 23 (or 24) and 29
By far the best package that can be put together for KAT, but from all the news coming out of Atlanta, it seems they are committed to build the roster a different way. I doubt Snyder signed up for coaching the KAT-Young combo, which are two of the most uncoachable stars in the league, and he has a lot of pull in that organization.

I've brought this up a few times in a few ways on this thread. I genuinely think that if KAT becomes available, we'd be in the running to get him with our trade package.

The Celtics can be the best package if we offer Brown.  I actually don't think MIN will go for any of the smorgasbord deals like the one you propose for ATL or the Celtics.  POR probably has a chance due to the #3 pick along with a couple of good young players, if MIN wants to go that route (more of a rebuild).  My guess though is MIN sees the team with Gobert and Edwards and Conley, that if they added a player like Brown, they could contend now and have a young core too.  I don't see the point in adding 2-4 role players (even if higher end role players).

I am still not sure I believe these rumors that MIN is "looking" to move Towns.  I think the team they have could be good.  But Towns intrigues me for sure.

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2023, 10:19:08 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
If Towns ask for a trade & Brown ask for a trade, then there u go but doubt if they do
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2023, 11:14:29 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
KAT signed an extension that begins in 2024 that is good for 4 years and $224m.

That's a lot of money for a guy who has won 4 playoff games in his career.
Didn't realise he played those games alone

It explains why he only won 4.

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2023, 12:09:27 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If Towns ask for a trade & Brown ask for a trade, then there u go but doubt if they do

How about if Brown doesn't ask for a trade but MIN is making Towns available and would take Brown as the main piece in a trade?

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2023, 02:32:11 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders

How about if Brown doesn't ask for a trade but MIN is making Towns available and would take Brown as the main piece in a trade?
Good question..me, personally, yes I would..I think Towns would strive in Boston especially alongside Tatum..can’t have Tatum, Brown & Towns together because it would destroy your salary cap so question is, u rather have Towns or Brown for the long haul?

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2023, 06:30:29 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Small sample size but I found this very interesting:

Games played between Towns and Embiid.

Embiid has won 7 and Towns 3. Over the past few years, Embiid has feasted on Towns as well.

Games played between Horford and Embiid:

Horford has won 18
Embiid has won 7

Now, I am not saying Horford is light years ahead of Embiid and he is not at the age where decline is inevitable but I am saying that Towns will not make us better vs a team like the Sixers and a big man like Embiid.  In the end, the most important stat might be winning. Is Towns capable of improving his defense? probably not is my guess.

Now, as far as offense goes, our offense would be better with Towns for sure but our offense will not get us into the finals or past a team like the Sixers in the future.

How many amazing offensive first teams have won titles over the years? A strong defense is always essential in getting to and winning the finals cause it assures you a chance in tight games when your offense goes through inevitable slumps(cough cough).

I'd like to see hortford next to towns.  Both can hit shots outside, both can mix it up inside. Hortford can defend the tougher big.  I don't think they'd get in each other's way.

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2023, 07:57:15 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
When Conley was complaining about guys putting more work into video games than basketball, I wonder who he was talking about? Maybe it was local Call of Duty champ KAT.

This.  When Jimmy Butler showed up, he quickly realized that a team paying max deals to Wiggins and Towns was never going to go anywhere.  He forced his way out.  And lo and behold he was right.  Good pros that get to Minny see the problem.   Any time that gives up 40% of their cap space to KAT is bound to lose.  In the right environment he could be a good 3rd or 4th kog on a winning team.  But he has a super-max extension.  No dice.  I assure you if you followed the Wolves in any way you would agree with this. 

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2023, 12:37:04 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
It's not KAT's fault that they traded the farm for Rudy Gobert and is now playing a redundant position...I wouldn't expect much from Minny's front office team, they've been abysmal since the KG days.

That being said, KAT will flourish with the C's. He'll be our KG.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2023, 05:43:13 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Put KAT on a winning team & franchise like the Celtics & he would be great..having AL to help him plus got Cassell & other assistants to motivate him..