Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 156424 times)

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2023, 12:11:08 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Isiah Thomas hasn’t spoken to Jaylen Brown since the Celtics were eliminated from the playoffs. But the Piston legend, a mentor to Brown from their ties to Cal, has prepared the advice he will give when next they chat. “Take the money,” Thomas told Heavy Sports through a laugh. Brown still has a year left on his Boston contract, but because of his second team All-NBA selection, he is eligible to sign a supermax extension of five years and some $290 million this summer. “Take the money,” Thomas repeated.  – via Steve Bulpett @ Heavy.com

Later that evening when we spoke, Isiah said, “When I got to know Jaylen Brown and how he played, I said to him — and this is before the draft process started — I said to him, ‘You’re a Celtic.’ He fits the Celtic culture that I played against, that I competed against. That I know.” According to Thomas, Brown still very much fits with Boston and the Celtics “intellectually and spiritually.” “Yeah, he’s been great there,” Thomas told Heavy. “He’s had a great career there, and he’s become one of the best players in the league. They’ve done well, and he’s done well there. It’s been a win-win, I think, for him and for the Celtics.”-via Steve Bulpett @Heavy.com

and the part privately that we dont hear is take the money and demand a trade down the road. Money first, forced trade second no doubt. Not my favorite of advisors for JB for sure

I'm not actually sure that would be Thomas' advice, but in any case it's still better for the Celtics if Brown signs the extension and then forces a trade next summer rather than leaving as a free agent next summer.

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2023, 12:54:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Isiah Thomas hasn’t spoken to Jaylen Brown since the Celtics were eliminated from the playoffs. But the Piston legend, a mentor to Brown from their ties to Cal, has prepared the advice he will give when next they chat. “Take the money,” Thomas told Heavy Sports through a laugh. Brown still has a year left on his Boston contract, but because of his second team All-NBA selection, he is eligible to sign a supermax extension of five years and some $290 million this summer. “Take the money,” Thomas repeated.  – via Steve Bulpett @ Heavy.com

Later that evening when we spoke, Isiah said, “When I got to know Jaylen Brown and how he played, I said to him — and this is before the draft process started — I said to him, ‘You’re a Celtic.’ He fits the Celtic culture that I played against, that I competed against. That I know.” According to Thomas, Brown still very much fits with Boston and the Celtics “intellectually and spiritually.” “Yeah, he’s been great there,” Thomas told Heavy. “He’s had a great career there, and he’s become one of the best players in the league. They’ve done well, and he’s done well there. It’s been a win-win, I think, for him and for the Celtics.”-via Steve Bulpett @Heavy.com

and the part privately that we dont hear is take the money and demand a trade down the road. Money first, forced trade second no doubt. Not my favorite of advisors for JB for sure

I'm not actually sure that would be Thomas' advice, but in any case it's still better for the Celtics if Brown signs the extension and then forces a trade next summer rather than leaving as a free agent next summer.

Hopefully any forced trades are kept out of the media so that his trade value doesn't tank in those circumstances.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2023, 12:59:06 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Hopefully any forced trades are kept out of the media so that his trade value doesn't tank in those circumstances.

I’d prefer it happens quietly, but the Nets seemed to do just fine despite how publicly messy the Durant and Irving situations were, so I’m not sure that actually impacts trade value.

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2023, 01:00:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
“Everyone keeps saying Damian Lillard is going to be traded to the Knicks, Damian Lillard should be traded to the Heat, Damian Lillard should be traded to the Celtics, Damian Lillard is going to be traded to the Nets. If one of those trades went through, out of those teams, which one would you be like, ‘Eh, that’s not so bad.’”

“Miami, obviously,” Lillard replied with a laugh. “Bam is my dog for real but Miami is an obvious one. Brooklyn is another obvious one because Mikal Bridges is my dog too.”

On the topic of his future in Portland and a potential trade request, Lillard also stated that his top choice would be “to have an opportunity to win in Portland. We got an opportunity, asset-wise, to build a team that can compete. If we can’t do that… then it’s a separate conversation we would have to have.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/06/damian-lillard-picks-heat-nets-over-celtics-in-hypothetical-trade-scenario.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2023, 01:52:02 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  Unless you want to drink into the wee hours I’ve never understood the appeal of NY.

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2023, 02:01:56 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
  Unless you want to drink into the wee hours I’ve never understood the appeal of NY.

I am guessing you have a lot less money than Lillard. I can see NY being really fun if you are filthy rich. 

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2023, 02:07:08 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

I am guessing you have a lot less money than Lillard. I can see NY being really fun if you are filthy rich.

Also, these guys (even the old ones) are young.  33 is basketball old but not human old.  Lots going on in NYC - not my cup o tea but the cup o tea of many.

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2023, 02:38:59 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Lillard has a lot of miles on those legs plus has a huge contract..I be wary of him at 33 years old next season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2023, 03:04:17 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
“Everyone keeps saying Damian Lillard is going to be traded to the Knicks, Damian Lillard should be traded to the Heat, Damian Lillard should be traded to the Celtics, Damian Lillard is going to be traded to the Nets. If one of those trades went through, out of those teams, which one would you be like, ‘Eh, that’s not so bad.’”

“Miami, obviously,” Lillard replied with a laugh. “Bam is my dog for real but Miami is an obvious one. Brooklyn is another obvious one because Mikal Bridges is my dog too.”

On the topic of his future in Portland and a potential trade request, Lillard also stated that his top choice would be “to have an opportunity to win in Portland. We got an opportunity, asset-wise, to build a team that can compete. If we can’t do that… then it’s a separate conversation we would have to have.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/06/damian-lillard-picks-heat-nets-over-celtics-in-hypothetical-trade-scenario.html
No income tax in Florida  ;)

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2023, 03:20:22 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

What’s his excuse for Brooklyn?  He clearly doesn’t care much about winning a championship; also, how does he expect the Nets to put together a package that doesn’t include Bridges?

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2023, 03:27:37 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

What’s his excuse for Brooklyn?  He clearly doesn’t care much about winning a championship; also, how does he expect the Nets to put together a package that doesn’t include Bridges?

With all the picks the Nets got for Durant, they absolutely can put together a package that doesn’t include Bridges.

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2023, 03:29:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

With all the picks the Nets got for Durant, they absolutely can put together a package that doesn’t include Bridges.

Yep. Was just going to say Simmons, plus a few smaller salaries and X amount of first round picks. I’d rather Dame goes to Brooklyn. They still won’t be good enough to contend.

If he goes to Miami for a package around Herro, that’s going to be a problem for the C’s.
Lillard, Butler, Bam core would be tough..
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 03:46:36 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2023, 04:17:46 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Sorry forgot about the picks, but no way they take on Simmons’ contract so how are they’d need a 3rd team involved right?

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2023, 04:20:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Yep. Was just going to say Simmons, plus a few smaller salaries and X amount of first round picks. I’d rather Dame goes to Brooklyn. They still won’t be good enough to contend.

If he goes to Miami for a package around Herro, that’s going to be a problem for the C’s.
Lillard, Butler, Bam core would be tough..

Every respected NBA writer that has discussed it said has said simmons is one of the worst contracts in the NBA. In addition to his chronic back issues which have been going on for years now, there are serious questions if he even wants to play basketball or just be a celebrity. I would be absolutely stunned if he was part of the return for Lilliard.

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2023, 04:36:40 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Sorry forgot about the picks, but no way they take on Simmons’ contract so how are they’d need a 3rd team involved right?

If they're moving Lillard, they're going for a rebuild, so I think Simmons' contract is less of a hurdle.  There are only two years left, and it will come off the books before Sharpe is ready for an extension, and it still saves them money relative to Dame over this year and next.  If they wanted to do something in 2024 after having spent this year rebuilding, Simmons would be an expiring that could be useful in a trade.