Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 156426 times)

Celtics Off-Season News
« on: June 01, 2023, 01:03:02 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Interview with Brad Stevens from earlier today(06/01/23):

Chris Forsberg: Brad Stevens: “I can say without a doubt that we want Jaylen Brown to be here. And he’s a big part of us. And we believe in him and I”m thankful for him.”  – via Twitter ChrisForsberg

Souichi Terada: Brad Stevens: “Jaylen had a great year, All-NBA year. He’s a big part of us moving forward in our eyes.”  – via Twitter SouichiTerada

Bobby Manning: Stevens: “I’ve had nothing but great conversations with Jaylen.” Won’t comment on contracts until July. “We want Jaylen to be here…we believe in him. I’m thankful for him. I’m really thankful for when those guys have success, they come back and work.”  – via Twitter RealBobManning

Brian Robb: Brad Stevens on Payton Pritchard’s situation with Celtics: “I really feel for a guy like him. He’s a really good player.” Says he doesn’t know how the situation with him will shake out.  – via Twitter BrianTRobb

Jay King: Among all the factors, Brad Stevens said, “if we’re over .500 at home (in the playoffs) we would have had rest and we’d be in the finals.”  – via Twitter ByJayKing

Bobby Manning: Stevens said the goal every time down the floor is getting a great shot, and they’d love for that to be a dunk, but the #Celtics at times struggled to get through the first line of the defense. “Can we get dunks? Can we get to the free throw line, can we get open 3s?”  – via Twitter RealBobManning

Chris Forsberg: Brad: “We love our foundation. We love our core. And that’s really our focus and priority.”  – via Twitter ChrisForsberg

Brian Robb: Brad Stevens on injuries: “Jayson Tatum has a pretty decent ankle sprain. Malcolm is going to figure out what he’s doing (re: surgery).” Derrick White also hyperextended his knee in Game 7.  – via Twitter BrianTRobb

Bobby Manning: Stevens said he wouldn’t have been able to do what Mazzulla did, implementing a system, plan and getting ready for training camp in a matter of days. – via Twitter RealBobManning

Chris Forsberg: Brad: “Joe’s experience now, you could probably measure in dog years, right? Because he’s now been in three Eastern Conference finals and a Finals. Now he’s been the head coach throughout one of those runs, I mean that’s an experience in and of itself.” – via Twitter ChrisForsberg

Souichi Terada: Brad Stevens says the Celtics will make at least one addition to the coaching staff: “We’ll look for somebody that’s got a lot of NBA experience.” – via Twitter SouichiTerada

Jay King: Brad Stevens on whether Joe Mazzulla is the best head coach for the team moving forward: “Yeah I think he is.”  – via Twitter ByJayKing

Jay King: Brad Stevens on Joe Mazzulla: “I think when you consider the position he was thrust into and the overall accomplishments of the group, I thought he did a really good job.”  – via Twitter ByJayKing

Souichi Terada: Brad Stevens on Joe Mazzulla: “I thought he did a really good job. When you look at it in the big picture, and having a team that was 2nd in offense, 2nd in defense, won 57 games … There’s a lot of direction and organization that goes into that.”  – via Twitter SouichiTerada
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 03:29:10 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 01:09:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Bobby Manning: Stevens said the goal every time down the floor is getting a great shot, and they’d love for that to be a dunk, but the #Celtics at times struggled to get through the first line of the defense. “Can we get dunks? Can we get to the free throw line, can we get open 3s?”  – via Twitter RealBobManning[/b]

He should talk to his coach.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 01:48:37 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I just watched the press conference. The things that stood out for me were:

- JB is part of the long term plan
- Joe will stay as head coach, but an experienced NBA coach would be added to his staff
- He thinks Joe did a great job given the circumstances

Looks like we’re running it back guys. Interested to see what tweaks Brad can do to improve this team.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 02:19:35 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
What do they have at their disposal in terms of MLE, bi-annual exceptions, etc?

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 02:27:31 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
I just watched the press conference. The things that stood out for me were:

- JB is part of the long term plan
- Joe will stay as head coach, but an experienced NBA coach would be added to his staff
- He thinks Joe did a great job given the circumstances

Looks like we’re running it back guys. Interested to see what tweaks Brad can do to improve this team.

OMG  SMH

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 02:34:42 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
we shoulda been swept in the first round then. . i guess that is the only way joe would be fired. brad has completely crapped the bed. dude is a clown.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 02:40:15 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
 >:( >:(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 02:49:17 PM by Boston Garden Leprechaun »
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 02:47:25 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Interview with Brad Stevens (06/01/23):

Chris Forsberg: Brad Stevens: “I can say without a doubt that we want Jaylen Brown to be here. And he’s a big part of us. And we believe in him and I”m thankful for him.”  – via Twitter ChrisForsberg

Souichi Terada: Brad Stevens: “Jaylen had a great year, All-NBA year. He’s a big part of us moving forward in our eyes.”  – via Twitter SouichiTerada

Bobby Manning: Stevens: “I’ve had nothing but great conversations with Jaylen.” Won’t comment on contracts until July. “We want Jaylen to be here…we believe in him. I’m thankful for him. I’m really thankful for when those guys have success, they come back and work.”  – via Twitter RealBobManning

Brian Robb: Brad Stevens on Payton Pritchard’s situation with Celtics: “I really feel for a guy like him. He’s a really good player.” Says he doesn’t know how the situation with him will shake out.  – via Twitter BrianTRobb

Jay King: Among all the factors, Brad Stevens said, “if we’re over .500 at home (in the playoffs) we would have had rest and we’d be in the finals.”  – via Twitter ByJayKing

Bobby Manning: Stevens said the goal every time down the floor is getting a great shot, and they’d love for that to be a dunk, but the #Celtics at times struggled to get through the first line of the defense. “Can we get dunks? Can we get to the free throw line, can we get open 3s?”  – via Twitter RealBobManning

Chris Forsberg: Brad: “We love our foundation. We love our core. And that’s really our focus and priority.”  – via Twitter ChrisForsberg

Brian Robb: Brad Stevens on injuries: “Jayson Tatum has a pretty decent ankle sprain. Malcolm is going to figure out what he’s doing (re: surgery).” Derrick White also hyperextended his knee in Game 7.  – via Twitter BrianTRobb

Bobby Manning: Stevens said he wouldn’t have been able to do what Mazzulla did, implementing a system, plan and getting ready for training camp in a matter of days. – via Twitter RealBobManning

Chris Forsberg: Brad: “Joe’s experience now, you could probably measure in dog years, right? Because he’s now been in three Eastern Conference finals and a Finals. Now he’s been the head coach throughout one of those runs, I mean that’s an experience in and of itself.” – via Twitter ChrisForsberg

Souichi Terada: Brad Stevens says the Celtics will make at least one addition to the coaching staff: “We’ll look for somebody that’s got a lot of NBA experience.” – via Twitter SouichiTerada

Jay King: Brad Stevens on whether Joe Mazzulla is the best head coach for the team moving forward: “Yeah I think he is.”  – via Twitter ByJayKing

Jay King: Brad Stevens on Joe Mazzulla: “I think when you consider the position he was thrust into and the overall accomplishments of the group, I thought he did a really good job.”  – via Twitter ByJayKing

Souichi Terada: Brad Stevens on Joe Mazzulla: “I thought he did a really good job. When you look at it in the big picture, and having a team that was 2nd in offense, 2nd in defense, won 57 games … There’s a lot of direction and organization that goes into that.”  – via Twitter SouichiTerada

we regressed brad. we do not even run a motion offense. we run a middle school offense. we do not play D like with IME.....you are pizzing away talent. when will brown finally get it? and fix all his issues? when he turns 40 brad? what a buffoon. what about smart? you'd rather have him than trae at PG also huh? some of this crew will never get it and it is obvious you do not either. your ego and pride will fall on your sword instead of admit you screwed up huh brad? you are a joke man. a joke.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline smicker16

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 14
The JB stuff is what he should have said.  It still does not mean he will not look in to trades for him and if he came out and said he wanted to go in another direction that would be a way to really tank his trade value so I am glad he said that.  I do think they end up signing him to the supermax as well because there are likely not great options right now, but I would be surprised to see JB finish out that contract with the Celtics.

The Joe stuff is the part that is a bit more disappointing and no need to really lie about that. While I do not think coaching in the NBA moves the needle a ton either direction, I am not sold on Joe as the HC.  I hope they bring in 2 experienced guys as they will be needed.  The main thing with the Joe decision is I do hope Brad got input from a few of the players on their confidence in him.  If that did not happen, then I strongly disagree with this decision.  Not that we will ever really know anyways. 

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 04:01:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Potter, did you catch this bit? Might want to sit down before reading.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 04:26:33 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 04:24:07 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I'll be in the minority on this but I'm totally cool with running this back + NBA vet assistant coach.
ok fine

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 05:10:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Regardless what happens with G-Will, this team definitely needs another big man.

If they are banking on injury-prone Timelord and 37-year old Horford to play heavy minutes and almost every game next season, good luck.

Muscala/Griffin can be kept as 4th/5th bigs, but Kornet is useless and they need another real body in the mix
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 05:28:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Regardless what happens with G-Will, this team definitely needs another big man.

If they are banking on injury-prone Timelord and 37-year old Horford to play heavy minutes and almost every game next season, good luck.

Muscala/Griffin can be kept as 4th/5th bigs, but Kornet is useless and they need another real body in the mix

How can you forget about Gallo!  ;D

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2023, 07:29:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Interview with Brad Stevens from earlier today(06/01/23):

Ugh ...

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2023, 07:32:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'll be in the minority on this but I'm totally cool with running this back + NBA vet assistant coach.
I am fine with running it back players wise but not with that head coach. I want him gone.