Author Topic: Worst choke job in Boston Sports History….  (Read 16743 times)

Worst choke job in Boston Sports History….
« on: May 30, 2023, 12:10:01 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
…all-time historic season most wins and most points Bruins this past year losing to 8th seed Panthers in 1st round (after being up 3-1) ?

18-0 Patriots losing in SB against the Giants?

Or the Cs losing to 8th seed Heat after the Cs claw back from down 0-3 with a G7 home court “advantage” and getting dusted by 20?

Who ya got?

Re: Worst choke job in Boston Sports History….
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 12:15:37 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Both Bruins and Celtics lost to South Florida teams who were both 8 seeds, including losing Game 7 at home in TD Garden to both

Embarrassing.

Credit to the Panthers and Heat though. We dreamed of a potential double parade in Boston this summer but maybe South Florida will get it.

To answer the question I still go 18-0 Pats, but this one is right up there too. Even over the Bruins. At least in hockey things are a bit more unpredictable so I can sort of give them a slight pass.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 12:35:06 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Both Bruins and Celtics lost to South Florida teams who were both 8 seeds, including losing Game 7 at home in TD Garden to both

Embarrassing.

Credit to the Panthers and Heat though. We dreamed of a potential double parade in Boston this summer but maybe South Florida will get it.

To answer the question I still go 18-0 Pats, but this one is right up there too. Even over the Bruins. At least in hockey things are a bit more unpredictable so I can sort of give them a slight pass.

Bruins led wire to wire as the #1 seed including winning like their first 13 games or something like that…to lose in the first round is pretty bad though

The Cs at least made it to the ECF and forced a G7 after being shocked down 0-3

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 12:37:41 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

Embarrassing.

Bruins led wire to wire as the #1 seed including winning like their first 13 games or something like that…to lose in the first round is pretty bad though

The Cs at least made it to the ECF and forced a G7 after being shocked down 0-3

Yeah but Giannis got hurt, Bucks got eliminated. We faced Atlanta, Philly, then 8 seed Miami all with HCA and still couldn’t make the Finals.

Bruins unfortunately had injuries going into their postseason with Bergeron, Krejci, etc too.

I also look at the “Presidents Trophy Curse”. Not just the Bruins but most teams who win that don’t do well in the postseason lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 12:39:25 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
18-0 Pats.

But the #2 seeded Celtics is up there with the Bruins goat regular season record collapse.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 07:42:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
1986 Red Sox?

I'd say the 2010 Bruins.  They were up 3-0 in their series.  The Flyers forced a Game 7.  The Bruins took a 3-0 lead in Game 7, and lost.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 10:47:26 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
1986 Red Sox?

I'd say the 2010 Bruins.  They were up 3-0 in their series.  The Flyers forced a Game 7.  The Bruins took a 3-0 lead in Game 7, and lost.

That Bruins team wasn't any good that year tho. They had no business being up 3-0 in the first place. It was the biggest collapse but not the biggest choke

To me a choke is about panic and fear. It is visceral. Which is what we have repeatedly seen from this Celtics team

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 10:57:19 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
18-0 Pats and 1986 Red Sox were BY FAR, worse choke jobs.

This 2022-23 C's team was snake-bitten from the moment Ime was suspended. It was never going to win a chip with a rookie coach and all the injuries.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 11:09:39 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The Bruins this season were by far the worst choke job. They were dominant but got done in by their goaltending, their coach and certain key defenseman choking when it mattered.

This Celtics team was flawed and was never getting by Denver. Of course the biggest flaw may have been the guy coaching the team but they underachieved from February on - and through all 3 playoff series.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 11:09:55 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Ya this was not even remotely close, that 18-0 Patriots team was easily worse.

Also arguably the Bruins this same year.

Like the c's were a normal good team who got to game 7, that's a disappointment maybe but not some massive one.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 11:17:25 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
I’m in the minority here I’m sure but the 18-0 patriots did not “choke” they were running on fumes in the second half of the season and weren’t playing well leading up to the Super Bowl and Brady was literally playing injured…not to mention that giants defensive line had the best performance I’ve ever seen in my life and the pats still took the lead in the waning moments. Also took the most fluke catch and play I’ve ever seen in sports on the giants final drive.   

I’ll go with this years bruins. Best regular season of all time in that league and then lose in the first round? Putrid. Even the Celtics beat the hawks and 76ers.

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 11:18:39 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Did the 18-0 Pats blow a big lead? Where was the choke exactly? Asante dropping the INT? Or general o-line play?

I thought the Giants' d-line was historically good but got overlooked during the season. I think pats fans still oddly refuse to give the Giants credit. They won 2 titles despite having a garbage QB. Their defense was just that good.

I don't consider the Rams' loss to the 2001 Pats a choke either. Bill Parcells and Pete Caroll built a juggernaut defense stacked with talent. With a defense that good, all it takes are a few clutch offensive plays to win.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2023, 11:22:15 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I’m in the minority here I’m sure but the 18-0 patriots did not “choke” they were running on fumes in the second half of the season and weren’t playing well leading up to the Super Bowl and Brady was literally playing injured…not to mention that giants defensive line had the best performance I’ve ever seen in my life and the pats still took the lead in the waning moments. Also took the most fluke catch and play I’ve ever seen in sports on the giants final drive.   

I’ll go with this years bruins. Best regular season of all time in that league and then lose in the first round? Putrid. Even the Celtics beat the hawks and 76ers.
The Pats offensive line got its butt collectively kicked by the Giants DL in that game. All year the OL was good but not great. The Giants peaked at the right time and that was the one way you could beat Brady - effective pressure up the middle.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 11:26:43 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Did the 18-0 Pats blow a big lead? Where was the choke exactly? Asante dropping the INT? Or general o-line play?

I thought the Giants' d-line was historically good but got overlooked during the season. I think pats fans still oddly refuse to give the Giants credit. They won 2 titles despite having a garbage QB. Their defense was just that good.

I don't consider the Rams' loss to the 2001 Pats a choke either. Bill Parcells and Pete Caroll built a juggernaut defense stacked with talent. With a defense that good, all it takes are a few clutch offensive plays to win.

Exactly. 18-0 patriots didn’t choke. On paper I can see why someone would come to that dumb conclusion based on regular season records. They took the lead with minutes to go against a historic defensive line performance and then got beat by flukiest play in sports history.

Giants don’t get the credit. They were playing better football then the patriots leading into that Super Bowl and pats still almost pulled off the impossible, improbable season running on fumes.

It was however the most depressing loss in Boston sports history. I’ll never be over it and it makes losses like last night easier.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 11:44:38 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2023, 11:42:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sorry but the Bruins this year was worse