Author Topic: Bucks Hire Adrian Griffin As Next Head Coach  (Read 2479 times)

Re: Bucks Hire Adrian Griffin As Next Head Coach
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2023, 05:58:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Wow, that is a blast from the past. I remember him primarily for his stint with Dirk's Mavs back when A Griffin was the only guy on the team who played any defense. Some time in Chicago after that as a deep bench piece. I liked those Bulls teams. And Mavs teams.

He was always pegged as a future coach. All the way back then. I look forward to seeing how he does.

That said, I would not have hired a rookie head coach to work with my veteran Championship caliber roster. I would want someone with experience. I am happy A Griffin got a chance but it shouldn't have been with the Bucks. Add a rookie head coach to an aging roster of B Lopez, Jrue (some talk of him retiring after current deal expires) and an injury plagued Middleton. That team could be rebuilding soon. Failure to win, failure to compete, could push Giannis out the door. Something to watch next 12-24 months. This could be the beginning of the end of Giannis' tenure in Milwaukee.

You don’t think Giannis signed off on this? I’d wager he did. Same goes for kicking Bud to the curb.

It is possible but I wouldn't be sure about it. Not every star player wants that influence over their front office. Some just want to concentrate on playing. Take care of their own duties & let the front office do their job.

Giannis strikes me as that type of player. Maybe he is; maybe he isn't.

Either way, it doesn't necessarily matter. If it doesn't work out, he'll still be unhappy and start wondering if there are greener pastures elsewhere. Players tend not to take ownership of bad decisions they were involved in with the front office. They tend more towards just looking after themselves and their own career decisions.

Per the Athtetic:

Bucks hiring Raptors assistant Adrian Griffin as head coach following meeting with Giannis Antetokounmpo
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2023, 06:09:28 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Wow, that is a blast from the past. I remember him primarily for his stint with Dirk's Mavs back when A Griffin was the only guy on the team who played any defense. Some time in Chicago after that as a deep bench piece. I liked those Bulls teams. And Mavs teams.

He was always pegged as a future coach. All the way back then. I look forward to seeing how he does.

That said, I would not have hired a rookie head coach to work with my veteran Championship caliber roster. I would want someone with experience. I am happy A Griffin got a chance but it shouldn't have been with the Bucks. Add a rookie head coach to an aging roster of B Lopez, Jrue (some talk of him retiring after current deal expires) and an injury plagued Middleton. That team could be rebuilding soon. Failure to win, failure to compete, could push Giannis out the door. Something to watch next 12-24 months. This could be the beginning of the end of Giannis' tenure in Milwaukee.

You don’t think Giannis signed off on this? I’d wager he did. Same goes for kicking Bud to the curb.

It is possible but I wouldn't be sure about it. Not every star player wants that influence over their front office. Some just want to concentrate on playing. Take care of their own duties & let the front office do their job.

Giannis strikes me as that type of player. Maybe he is; maybe he isn't.

Either way, it doesn't necessarily matter. If it doesn't work out, he'll still be unhappy and start wondering if there are greener pastures elsewhere. Players tend not to take ownership of bad decisions they were involved in with the front office. They tend more towards just looking after themselves and their own career decisions.

Per the Athtetic:

Bucks hiring Raptors assistant Adrian Griffin as head coach following meeting with Giannis Antetokounmpo

I think there are probably 3 general possibilities re: Giannis’ involvement.

1) no input at all
2) Giannis’ choice
3) pull him for input and/or approval but management makes the recommendation and has ultimate say.

Can rule out #1 given the article referencing the meeting with Giannis.  But having no idea whatsoever, I tend to believe #3 is the closest.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2023, 06:50:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Different circumstances, but the choice of Adrian Griffin, a young assistant coach, to take over as coach of the Bucks, a vet contending team, is very similar in a lot of ways to the choice of Mazzulla to take over as Celtics coach.
The parallels are with Ime, not Mazz. Tough, hard-nosed NBA player with approx. a decade of assistant coaching experience.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2023, 08:22:02 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Different circumstances, but the choice of Adrian Griffin, a young assistant coach, to take over as coach of the Bucks, a vet contending team, is very similar in a lot of ways to the choice of Mazzulla to take over as Celtics coach.
The parallels are with Ime, not Mazz. Tough, hard-nosed NBA player with approx. a decade of assistant coaching experience.
It should be with both - Griffin has Mazza beat on having a more despicable history of alleged violence against women, depending on how much you choose to believe Griffin's ex wife (but not their children, who sided with Griffin):
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Adrian-Griffin-assault.pdf

It's not surprising to anyone, but it bears repeating that NBA front offices don't care about domestic violence if they can eek out one more win on the season.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2023, 08:34:12 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I still don't understand why they fired Bud.

I mean, if Giannis doesn't get injured and miss 3 games it might be Milwaukee/Boston right now instead of Heat/Boston.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2023, 05:53:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
It should be with both - Griffin has Mazza beat on having a more despicable history of alleged violence against women, depending on how much you choose to believe Griffin's ex wife (but not their children, who sided with Griffin):
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Adrian-Griffin-assault.pdf

It's not surprising to anyone, but it bears repeating that NBA front offices don't care about domestic violence if they can eek out one more win on the season.
Had not heard about this. Yuck

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2023, 06:05:56 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Based on the info that's out there, seems the allegations were false. They were going through a nasty divorce, both of his kids publicly refuted it, police investigated but didn't charge him, and he sued her for defamation.

I'm wasn't in their home so I don't know what really went on, but should he have his career stalled due to something that may not even be true?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2023, 06:13:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Based on the info that's out there, seems the allegations were false. They were going through a nasty divorce, both of his kids publicly refuted it, police investigated but didn't charge him, and he sued her for defamation.

I'm wasn't in their home so I don't know what really went on, but should he have his career stalled due to something that may not even be true?
It does seem a bit like a messy divorce that spilt into the public, but it wouldn't be the first time the 'justice' system has failed in a case of DV (or generally)

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2023, 06:14:23 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

The link I posted is from the libel suit - my point isn't about his guilt or innocence, really, it's more to point out that NBA front offices generally don't care about this stuff.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.