Author Topic: Gabe Vincent out for game 5  (Read 5540 times)

Re: Gabe Vincent out for game 5
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2023, 11:45:49 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Does this galvanize the Heat even more, and lead to the letdowns of intensity that we've seen from the Celts before?

It makes it even more critical that we come out strong and take control early.

This is either a rallying point for Miami or it's the beginning of the end.  If we meet and overcome their initial charge it will be a big blow to their morale.

Yep, exactly. Coming out strong and putting up a big lead could end it early. The Heat have all the excuses to give up early in this one given they got Game 6 at home and Vincent is injured. Guarantee they could already be looking at that game 6 at home as their best chance to win.

That said, they are a lot more mentally tough than the C’s, so they could also just play through it.

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2023, 11:46:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Does this galvanize the Heat even more, and lead to the letdowns of intensity that we've seen from the Celts before?

I find it really hard to believe either team is going to play differently IN AN EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS ELIMINATION GAME because one guy is out.

If you are the Heat and can't bring intensity for an elimination game unless a rotation guy is out then WOW, that's pathetic. The Celtics meanwhile already had the MAX desperation you can get, they can't play the "well there's always next game card, because there isn't. You already HAVE TO win the game, it can't be more of a must win than it already is.

I can buy a gm 1 letdown game, or a gm 5 letdown game up 3-1 in a series, but a elimination game letdown game?

The Celts have consistently shown that they lose focus and don't bring energy at crucial times.  Game 5 vs. Atlanta, Game 1 vs. Philly, Game 5 vs. Philly, Game 1 vs. Miami, Game 3 vs. Philly.

If any team is going to take a team lightly because they're missing a key component, it's the Celts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2023, 11:57:29 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Nothing new here.
Dejounte Murray was out and the C's lost at the TD Garden.
Joel Embiid was out and the C's lost at the TD Garden.

Won't surprise me one bit if Gabe Vincent is out and they lose at the TD Garden.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2023, 12:01:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nothing new here.
Dejounte Murray was out and the C's lost at the TD Garden.
Joel Embiid was out and the C's lost at the TD Garden.

Won't surprise me one bit if Gabe Vincent is out and they lose at the TD Garden.

Yeah.  Herro and Oladipo have been out the entire series.  Love missed some time.  Highsmith will probably come in and score 60 or something.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2023, 01:08:19 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I find it really hard to believe either team is going to play differently IN AN EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS ELIMINATION GAME because one guy is out.

If you are the Heat and can't bring intensity for an elimination game unless a rotation guy is out then WOW, that's pathetic. The Celtics meanwhile already had the MAX desperation you can get, they can't play the "well there's always next game card, because there isn't. You already HAVE TO win the game, it can't be more of a must win than it already is.

I can buy a gm 1 letdown game, or a gm 5 letdown game up 3-1 in a series, but a elimination game letdown game?

The Celts have consistently shown that they lose focus and don't bring energy at crucial times.  Game 5 vs. Atlanta, Game 1 vs. Philly, Game 5 vs. Philly, Game 1 vs. Miami, Game 3 vs. Philly.

If any team is going to take a team lightly because they're missing a key component, it's the Celts.

Yeah, the Celtics this season have universally, categorically, without fail put it in cruise control whenever the opponent has been missing a key piece.

And as you said, Roy, it's happened multiple times just this postseason—the game Murray missed in the first round, Game 1 against Philly with Embiid out, and coming into this series knowing that Herro and Oladipo were out.

It baffles me that Gabe Vincent has been a key player in this series, but it's undebatable that he has been a key piece, which means Boston's natural inclination will be to assume an easier road to winning Game 5.

Now, maybe they finally overcome that inclination, we shall see, but it would be the least surprising thing in the world to see the Celtics lose tonight because they let up because they know Vincent is out.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 01:13:41 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2023, 03:06:47 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Don't let your hopes up fellas with Gabe Vincent out! Keep your expectations low of them to still lose at home with a given handicap where they are 11-12 in their last 23 home playoff games. Saving y'all from the heartaches!  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2023, 03:18:07 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Yeah we have seen this story too often so far in the playoffs, team has player 'a' hurt, Celtics relax and think they don't need focus, effort, composure, heart to win.
They will need those even if every starter was out for the heat because the Celtics play down to their level of competition.

I hope that that the C's can just focus on what they need to do...play great def, give great effort and play connected, be unselfish - move the ball.  Do those basics, then the talent can take over.

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2023, 03:38:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I am trying to figure out what their guard rotation will be lowry starts and maybe him and Strauss play 35 each. But who do the other 26 go to? Highsmith is really more of a small forward than guard and don’t think he could cover white, smart, brown very well (leaving brodgon out cause who knows what he can contribute). Then they list robinson as a guard but we know spoelstra hates him and he is awful defensively.

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2023, 03:47:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I am trying to figure out what their guard rotation will be lowry starts and maybe him and Strauss play 35 each. But who do the other 26 go to? Highsmith is really more of a small forward than guard and don’t think he could cover white, smart, brown very well (leaving brodgon out cause who knows what he can contribute). Then they list robinson as a guard but we know spoelstra hates him and he is awful defensively.

Butler can handle the ball. They probably do it by committee!

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2023, 04:13:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Yeah but they still have to have 5 players on the floor (and I don’t think it would be good to have butler chasing around a small guard for his 44 minutes. How do the minutes break down?

Lowry 35 (not even sure he can do 35)
Strauss (35)
Butler (44)
Bam (40)
Martin (40)
Love (20)
Zeller (10)

This seems like the max they could play they guys. You are then getting 16 minutes from either Robinson/highsmith?

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2023, 04:27:25 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Yeah but they still have to have 5 players on the floor (and I don’t think it would be good to have butler chasing around a small guard for his 44 minutes. How do the minutes break down?

Lowry 35 (not even sure he can do 35)
Strauss (35)
Butler (44)
Bam (40)
Martin (40)
Love (20)
Zeller (10)

This seems like the max they could play they guys. You are then getting 16 minutes from either Robinson/highsmith?
The Celtics are never good at executing this, but with the shortened bench for Miami tonight, there should be a focus on driving and drawing contact to get Miami in foul trouble.

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2023, 05:03:15 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Highsmith gonna be unstoppable and burn us for 20pts

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2023, 05:14:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
They're down someone who has been shooting 50% from three and averaging 17.5PPG. This is good, particularly with how poor Lowry has been
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2023, 05:15:12 PM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Isn't Herro  able to play now? Even if he cant shoot it was a broken finger he can tape up and play I would think

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2023, 05:16:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Isn't Herro  able to play now? Even if he cant shoot it was a broken finger he can tape up and play I would think
It was a broken hand, and it was my understanding is that he'd struggle to be back for Finals
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)