Author Topic: Celtics (0-3) at Heat (3-0) ECF Game #4 5/23/23  (Read 27571 times)

Re: Celtics (0-3) at Heat (3-0) ECF Game #4 5/23/23
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2023, 07:25:25 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think Boston wins tonight.

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2023, 09:37:40 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am going to put my thoughts on the record so to speak.  First, it appears that there is a major disconnect between the team and the coach.  I am not sure that this can be resolved even for one game.  Joe is kind of eccentric and who knows what he is going to say to the team.  The key players are young and don't seem to be able to set this aside and focus on the game.

But what gives me even a glimmer of hope is that in every case that I can remember, the team that is down 0-3 is usually clearly a lesser team.  Like the Lakers vs. Nuggets.  You think that even if this lesser team can get inspired and win 1 game, you don't expect them to beat a better team 4 times.

In this case for the Celtics, it is flipped.  The team that is down 0-3 is actually the team that was expected to be the better team.  The team that appears to have the better, deeper roster.  The team that won more games all season.  If there was ever a situation where a team could run off 4 straight, this is it. 

It is still highly unlikely, I am not fooling myself, the most likely outcome is probably that they lose tonight.  That Mazzulla starts Luke Kornet at PG or something and the team sleepwalks through the game.  But if they can win tonight, maybe they wake up and remember they are actually the better team.  Maybe the bubble pops on some of these Miami journeymen who are having career weeks and they revert back to the players they have been all season.  That is my theory anyway, it is all I got to hold on to.  I can't just give up on them, I have been a fan too long.

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2023, 09:42:53 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Even the Lakers beat the hungrier Detroit team in 1 game. I think Boston can do it once
- LilRip

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2023, 09:58:49 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Do we want a face saving win like we got against the Nets Big Three in 2021 or do we want a humiliating sweep to generate more critical mass to force changes?  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2023, 10:00:30 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I am going to put my thoughts on the record so to speak.  First, it appears that there is a major disconnect between the team and the coach.  I am not sure that this can be resolved even for one game.  Joe is kind of eccentric and who knows what he is going to say to the team.  The key players are young and don't seem to be able to set this aside and focus on the game.

But what gives me even a glimmer of hope is that in every case that I can remember, the team that is down 0-3 is usually clearly a lesser team.  Like the Lakers vs. Nuggets.  You think that even if this lesser team can get inspired and win 1 game, you don't expect them to beat a better team 4 times.

In this case for the Celtics, it is flipped.  The team that is down 0-3 is actually the team that was expected to be the better team.  The team that appears to have the better, deeper roster.  The team that won more games all season.  If there was ever a situation where a team could run off 4 straight, this is it. 

It is still highly unlikely, I am not fooling myself, the most likely outcome is probably that they lose tonight.  That Mazzulla starts Luke Kornet at PG or something and the team sleepwalks through the game. But if they can win tonight, maybe they wake up and remember they are actually the better team.  Maybe the bubble pops on some of these Miami journeymen who are having career weeks and they revert back to the players they have been all season.  That is my theory anyway, it is all I got to hold on to.  I can't just give up on them, I have been a fan too long.

Maybe Joe should start the bench guys like Payton, Luke, Muscala, Hauser and GWill...God knows they played harder than our frontliners in Game 3  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2023, 10:26:36 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Got Scott Foster tonight… let’s hope he embraces his Extender role.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2023, 10:29:18 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

It is still highly unlikely, I am not fooling myself, the most likely outcome is probably that they lose tonight.  That Mazzulla starts Luke Kornet at PG or something and the team sleepwalks through the game. But if they can win tonight, maybe they wake up and remember they are actually the better team.  Maybe the bubble pops on some of these Miami journeymen who are having career weeks and they revert back to the players they have been all season.  That is my theory anyway, it is all I got to hold on to.  I can't just give up on them, I have been a fan too long.

Maybe Joe should start the bench guys like Payton, Luke, Muscala, Hauser and GWill...God knows they played harder than our frontliners in Game 3  :angel:

Yeah, I understand the temptation, but I would not do that.  In fact, I might go back to the regular season starters (Smart, White, Brown, Tatum, Horford) and tell them to just go do it.  No adjustments to the adjustments, not tricks with the line up to try and spark things.  No motivational speeches.  Just give the ball to our best players and see what they can do.  That is what I would do.  Mazzulla should remove himself from the equation as much as he can.  Just step back and leave it to the players, then take whatever blame there is when it is over.  Tell the players to just go play and that he will take all the blame no matter what happens.  It is essentially our hail Mary.

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2023, 10:30:48 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

It is still highly unlikely, I am not fooling myself, the most likely outcome is probably that they lose tonight.  That Mazzulla starts Luke Kornet at PG or something and the team sleepwalks through the game.  But if they can win tonight, maybe they wake up and remember they are actually the better team.  Maybe the bubble pops on some of these Miami journeymen who are having career weeks and they revert back to the players they have been all season.  That is my theory anyway, it is all I got to hold on to.  I can't just give up on them, I have been a fan too long.

I'm with you here.  Some team some time is going to come back from down 3-0.  I honestly can't recall a team better suited than this year's Celtics to do so.  Miami Heat won 3 straight (2 on road).  No reason we can't rattle off 3 straight (2 on road) as well, then come home for a game 7.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2023, 12:07:07 PM »

Online BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
And to run where the brave dare not go

It all begins with one game and one win. Celtics Players, See RedSox 2004 vs Yankees for motivation if our coach fails to light a spark. One game, one game......Call me crazy once again, I have hope we can win tonight. To Dream the impossible dream....

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2023, 02:12:02 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Got Scott Foster tonight… let’s hope he embraces his Extender role.

He's been slipping lately lol. But I still believe in Foster to redeem himself!  :laugh:

But ultimately if the C's really quit then it won't matter regardless. Still need to come out and play hard for a full 48
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2023, 02:12:35 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
We're not coming back from 3-0, but I still don't want the season to end tonight. Please just extend for it for a few more days at least  :angel:

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2023, 03:14:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I think Boston wins tonight.

I've thought that every night...

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2023, 03:48:56 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
If the Celtics come out and play hard and play with pride and some shots start falling the momentum could switch and we could still win this game and make it a series

Problem is it looks like they already quit and I’m not sure I can handle the roller coaster ride any more

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2023, 03:57:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
It’s pretty difficult not to doubt the Cs tonight. I believe they’ll lose but hope for a miracle.  A win tonight would have to feel good for the team. I don’t think it puts them back in it, but it does create a little interest.

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2023, 04:02:48 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Lot of people are expecting us to lose tonight, which is why they'll win in a blowout  :laugh: