Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at 76ers (1-2) Round 2 Game #4 5/7/23  (Read 29894 times)

Re: Celtics (2-1) at 76ers (1-2) Round 2 Game #4 5/7/23
« Reply #900 on: May 07, 2023, 06:55:29 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
The key to beating Philly is taking harden out of the game. Not embiid.

And the only thing that beats you is a three. Cannot even allow that shot to happen. Give up the two. Tie game.

CALL TIMEOUT and play to win the game.

« Reply #901 on: May 07, 2023, 06:58:40 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Joe shoulda called a TO at the end of regulation.  We needed one point to win, not a 3.

Joe shoulda emphasized NO helping off of Harden or anyone at the 3.  Play straight up D and force them to tie.

Joe should called a TO at the end of OT.  I really believe it's arrogant on his part.  As if he wanted to be able to say "I trust my guys" in the post game conference. 

Just dumb coaching.  He needs to put them in a better position to win.  That's on him.

The lack of timeouts is to keep the mismatches on the floor. Harden is likely not on the court if Joe calls a timeout either time there, and the Sixers likely have a plan to double or catch the Celtics flat-footed right away on the catch.

I think no TO was the right move at the end of regulation. It's something both Brad and Ime did a lot. I'm not sure if this was the right move on the last play of the game, but their offense was doing really well attacking mismatches down the stretch and I liked the look they got (just too late). I'm not sure I like our chances any better if we have an inbounds play with 4 seconds left, those are very tough to execute.

Fair point.  But Joe gave them a chance at end of regulation and it was a bad shot.  We didn't need a 3.  Plus, I'd rather have a designed play even with Harden subbed out than no shot at all.

« Reply #902 on: May 07, 2023, 07:03:30 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
The key to beating Philly is taking harden out of the game. Not embiid.

And the only thing that beats you is a three. Cannot even allow that shot to happen. Give up the two. Tie game.

CALL TIMEOUT and play to win the game.

rocket science bro  >:( >:( >:(
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #903 on: May 07, 2023, 07:04:08 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
All of you complainers are pitiful. That was a battle the whole game. No lack of effort. A few bad bounces towards the end (Tucker on air ball, D White almost stole that Harden pas in OT). But Harden was amazing. This was not on coaching. It’s basketball. Two teams are trying to win.

um, no. this wasn’t a battle the whole game; the C’s didn’t show up until midway through the fourth quarter. yes, this was on coaching, as joe had two chances to call a TO and draw up a game winning ATO, but he chose to take those TO home, which is why marcus was the shooter in both instances. sorry, but marcus is not who we want taking game winners in playoff crunch time. bad coaching and poor execution.

the sixers are a far inferior team with only two legit scorers, a nonexistent bench, lazy defense, and several key players who aren’t in NBA shape and are consistently gassed in the 4Q. this series should have been a four or five game snoozer, but the talented but immature C’s consistently play down to the level of their opponents, thinking they can flip a switch in crunch time.

« Reply #904 on: May 07, 2023, 07:04:36 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Joe shoulda called a TO at the end of regulation.  We needed one point to win, not a 3.

Joe shoulda emphasized NO helping off of Harden or anyone at the 3.  Play straight up D and force them to tie.

Joe should called a TO at the end of OT.  I really believe it's arrogant on his part.  As if he wanted to be able to say "I trust my guys" in the post game conference. 

Just dumb coaching.  He needs to put them in a better position to win.  That's on him.

The lack of timeouts is to keep the mismatches on the floor. Harden is likely not on the court if Joe calls a timeout either time there, and the Sixers likely have a plan to double or catch the Celtics flat-footed right away on the catch.

I think no TO was the right move at the end of regulation. It's something both Brad and Ime did a lot. I'm not sure if this was the right move on the last play of the game, but their offense was doing really well attacking mismatches down the stretch and I liked the look they got (just too late). I'm not sure I like our chances any better if we have an inbounds play with 4 seconds left, those are very tough to execute.

Fair point.  But Joe gave them a chance at end of regulation and it was a bad shot.  We didn't need a 3.  Plus, I'd rather have a designed play even with Harden subbed out than no shot at all.

Better yet.  Instead of a "willy-nilly" ISO, where no one knows what to do, have a designed play ready, call it and execute.  Too many hero ISOs at end of game situations.

« Reply #905 on: May 07, 2023, 07:06:25 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
All of you complainers are pitiful. That was a battle the whole game. No lack of effort. A few bad bounces towards the end (Tucker on air ball, D White almost stole that Harden pas in OT). But Harden was amazing. This was not on coaching. It’s basketball. Two teams are trying to win.

um, no. this wasn’t a battle the whole game; the C’s didn’t show up until midway through the fourth quarter. yes, this was on coaching, as joe had two chances to call a TO and draw up a game winning ATO, but he chose to take those TO home, which is why marcus was the shooter in both instances. sorry, but marcus is not who we want taking game winners in playoff crunch time. bad coaching and poor execution.

the sixers are a far inferior team with only two legit scorers, a nonexistent bench, lazy defense, and several key players who aren’t in NBA shape and are consistently gassed in the 4Q. this series should have been a four or five game snoozer, but the talented but immature C’s consistently play down to the level of their opponents, thinking they can flip a switch in crunch time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #906 on: May 07, 2023, 07:07:26 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I’m still baffled at why they doubled off harden. Absolutely losing basketball

« Reply #907 on: May 07, 2023, 07:13:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!

Harden cooking us for 42+ not once, but twice this series is already embarrassing. Some of my non-C’s friends are giving me flack for it and honestly I can’t even defend the C’s lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #908 on: May 07, 2023, 07:16:58 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273

100%. the C’s are notorious for really bad iso, step-back threes when they need a bucket, so a timely TO and a few minutes to calm down and review their best situational ATO was the appropriate call. the sixers defensive matchups aren’t a concern; they’re significantly outgunned by the C’s talent. give me our best five on the floor vs. whomever doc wants to trot out as “defensive stoppers” and i like our chances.

in the final analysis, not calling a TO both times was the wrong call, as we witnessed marcus failing to convert twice. this is a disgrace when you have the J’s on the floor, as well as brogdon, who would have been the perfect third option, if the sixers sold out to stop the J’s.

consequently, it’s 2-2, instead of 3-1, with the pivotal game five looming and the sixers still very much alive. disgraceful. 

« Reply #909 on: May 07, 2023, 07:28:27 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

100%. the C’s are notorious for really bad iso, step-back threes when they need a bucket, so a timely TO and a few minutes to calm down and review their best situational ATO was the appropriate call. the sixers defensive matchups aren’t a concern; they’re significantly outgunned by the C’s talent. give me our best five on the floor vs. whomever doc wants to trot out as “defensive stoppers” and i like our chances.

in the final analysis, not calling a TO both times was the wrong call, as we witnessed marcus failing to convert twice. this is a disgrace when you have the J’s on the floor, as well as brogdon, who would have been the perfect third option, if the sixers sold out to stop the J’s.

consequently, it’s 2-2, instead of 3-1, with the pivotal game five looming and the sixers still very much alive. disgraceful.
Both of those final plays were called for Tatum. It’s not like they called Smart’s number. The shot at the end of the regulation was a great look. The best you can hope for even if you called a timeout.

The end of OT was a failure on Smarts part to take too long getting the ball in Tatum’s hands and subsequently a failure on Tatum’s part not recognizing that there was no time for a kick out. But overall that’s either an issue with the coach not instructing them to push the pace given they were down or that’s on Smart. Hard to tell without being in the locker room.

« Reply #910 on: May 07, 2023, 07:33:11 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

Shocking and inexcusable.

« Reply #911 on: May 07, 2023, 07:36:26 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
This series should be at the least 3-1. Philly is an average basketball team.

If they can’t come out with energy in game 5 they are doomed

« Reply #912 on: May 07, 2023, 07:37:26 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

It's amazing to me that they can feel that way.  Every playoff game that comes down to the final 2 minutes they seem to lose.  Both losses against Philly.  The Ice-Tray shot.  Remember OG's shot in the bubble?  They got lucky in Game 7 against Miami last year.

The Celtics are a better team than their opponents, but lack the mental toughness at the end of games to pull it out.

« Reply #913 on: May 07, 2023, 07:38:06 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Not gonna win this series, never mind an nba championship if this is the peak level Tatum is going to get to. He ended up with 25, but the complete no show in the first half, the lack of urgency and impact in the defining moments is pretty brutal.
Glad he made everything in the all star game though.

« Reply #914 on: May 07, 2023, 07:41:19 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Not gonna win this series, never mind an nba championship if this is the peak level Tatum is going to get to. He ended up with 25, but the complete no show in the first half, the lack of urgency and impact in the defining moments is pretty brutal.
Glad he made everything in the all star game though.

Unfortunately in too many games Tatum is inconsistent. Disappears for long stretches and then tries to make up for it late. If he has 5 points in the first half Celtics probably win.

Two of the four games Tatum’s been a no show for a half or for the game