Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at 76ers (1-2) Round 2 Game #4 5/7/23  (Read 28838 times)

Re: Celtics (2-1) at 76ers (1-2) Round 2 Game #4 5/7/23
« Reply #990 on: May 08, 2023, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
How are some of you still confident that the C's will still win this series? Talent-wise, yeah they should be dominating them. It's the mental fortitude/aspect that I'm worried about. I don't know if the C's will come out firing in all cylinders next game or will they start off slow and just mess around and lose another nailbiter (that's been frequent lately).

The media is already clamoring that the Brown leaving Harden to double help on Embiid might have been the turning point of this series and I sure hope that isn't the case

Because I don't get freaked out after every loss or buy into post loss media narratives. 

I saw enough yesterday to instill confidence that they're figuring out Philly and I expect a homecourt bounce back while also expecting Harden to regress and Tatum to have a better game.

Ebbs & flows.  Ebbs & flows.  This series was never destined to be a Celtics sweep.

Sometimes this board is just unbearable. If Celtics don't sweep another team it's all over.

Last night wasn't ideal. But realistically the Celtics can win 2 out of the next 3 if they play like they did in the 4th.

« Reply #991 on: May 08, 2023, 03:48:25 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Just another gagging up a hairball performance.  I can kind of see why Danny bailed.  He thought he had superstars, he just had stars.

#JKNO (just keep no one!)
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #992 on: May 08, 2023, 04:19:29 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Just another gagging up a hairball performance.  I can kind of see why Danny bailed.  He thought he had superstars, he just had stars.

Lol. If you think Danny bailed and wasn't pushed out, I have a bridge to sell ya.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #993 on: May 08, 2023, 04:21:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not gonna win this series, never mind an nba championship if this is the peak level Tatum is going to get to. He ended up with 25, but the complete no show in the first half, the lack of urgency and impact in the defining moments is pretty brutal.
Glad he made everything in the all star game though.

Unfortunately in too many games Tatum is inconsistent. Disappears for long stretches and then tries to make up for it late. If he has 5 points in the first half Celtics probably win.

Two of the four games Tatum’s been a no show for a half or for the game
Ya. He’s terrible. 18 boards. 4 blocks. Makes the go ahead 3 with 35 seconds. Find Marcus for the wide open look to end regulation. He’s downright awful. 🙄

Had we won, this would be called a monster game for JT. He led the comeback and made the right plays. Imagine if Al made that three to put us up 4? Or if Smart actually made that three at the end of regulation? But that’s how basketball is. I’m disappointed with the loss yes, but I still think we get this series.

but ultimately, they lost. if JT wants to be great, a winner, a champion, monster games don’t get him there; winning does. specifically, winning in the big moments.

Mahk, we got a real Tatum apologist on board with us tonite.

There have been a lot of stat stuffers in the NBA who didn't have inside of them what Bird, Russell, Cowens, DJ, Garnett all had.
Tatum wants to win. These guys needed to win. That is your difference.

I kinda feel badly for Tatum, he is extremely talented and appears to be a good person (which counts a lot with me).
But that desperate need to win just ain't in him, it is not his nature. Really not his fault.
Management needs to recognize that this team needs to add a player with the competitive fire required to win titles.
Look what Kevin Garnett did for Paul Pierce and the entire culture of the franchise.
Marcus and Jaylen are competitive, but they both continue to make so many dumb, destructive plays that they disqualify themselves.
I am not suggesting a trade like this, but to make my point, imagine Jimmy Butler on this team instead of Jason.
Combine him with Smart and Brown and all the other talent, a more aggressive GM who would have added that big, physical post player, then hire a solid head coach and we would be hanging banners again.
I love these kinds of ridiculous attempts at analysing a player's brain, as if you know anything about their personality. How did KG's need to win translate before coming to Boston?

Cowens, DJ and Bird had all won just one ring by the time they were Tatum's age.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #994 on: May 08, 2023, 04:23:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Lol. If you think Danny bailed and wasn't pushed out, I have a bridge to sell ya.

Yeah I was about to say, Ainge was basically fired lol. They weren't going to bring him back. I think CBS was also getting pushed out, but the opportunity presented itself and CBS became GM. And honestly, I'm happy for it. We reached a Finals last year thanks to his moves, and I like that he's more aggressive at the trade deadlines than Danny who just stood pat all the time even for deals that only needed 2nd round picks.

It always bugged me during the mid-to-late 2010s when we had some fun teams that made some runs to the ECF, but those years we did practically nothing at the deadline while even the other juggernauts still added to their team (even with decent bench players).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #995 on: May 08, 2023, 05:16:39 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Not gonna win this series, never mind an nba championship if this is the peak level Tatum is going to get to. He ended up with 25, but the complete no show in the first half, the lack of urgency and impact in the defining moments is pretty brutal.
Glad he made everything in the all star game though.

Unfortunately in too many games Tatum is inconsistent. Disappears for long stretches and then tries to make up for it late. If he has 5 points in the first half Celtics probably win.

Two of the four games Tatum’s been a no show for a half or for the game
Ya. He’s terrible. 18 boards. 4 blocks. Makes the go ahead 3 with 35 seconds. Find Marcus for the wide open look to end regulation. He’s downright awful. 🙄

Had we won, this would be called a monster game for JT. He led the comeback and made the right plays. Imagine if Al made that three to put us up 4? Or if Smart actually made that three at the end of regulation? But that’s how basketball is. I’m disappointed with the loss yes, but I still think we get this series.

but ultimately, they lost. if JT wants to be great, a winner, a champion, monster games don’t get him there; winning does. specifically, winning in the big moments.

Mahk, we got a real Tatum apologist on board with us tonite.

There have been a lot of stat stuffers in the NBA who didn't have inside of them what Bird, Russell, Cowens, DJ, Garnett all had.
Tatum wants to win. These guys needed to win. That is your difference.

I kinda feel badly for Tatum, he is extremely talented and appears to be a good person (which counts a lot with me).
But that desperate need to win just ain't in him, it is not his nature. Really not his fault.
Management needs to recognize that this team needs to add a player with the competitive fire required to win titles.
Look what Kevin Garnett did for Paul Pierce and the entire culture of the franchise.
Marcus and Jaylen are competitive, but they both continue to make so many dumb, destructive plays that they disqualify themselves.
I am not suggesting a trade like this, but to make my point, imagine Jimmy Butler on this team instead of Jason.
Combine him with Smart and Brown and all the other talent, a more aggressive GM who would have added that big, physical post player, then hire a solid head coach and we would be hanging banners again.
I love these kinds of ridiculous attempts at analysing a player's brain, as if you know anything about their personality. How did KG's need to win translate before coming to Boston?

Cowens, DJ and Bird had all won just one ring by the time they were Tatum's age.

It's kind of scary how many posters think they really know these guys. They don't.

And the Jimmy comparison is laughable - in his 6th year in league, Jimmy hadn't had the success Jayson has and he was 3 years older. You know what he was doing in the playoffs that year? Losing 4 straight to the Boston Celtics after his team had a 2 game lead and stole home court advantage. And then he turned around and asked for a trade.

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #996 on: May 08, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
L2M report says the Tatum no-call was correct.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #997 on: May 08, 2023, 05:48:37 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
L2M report says the Tatum no-call was correct.

Only reported incorrect call was a missed defensive three seconds call on PJ in the fourth.

They conveniently didn’t review Embiid’s blatant travel call on the game-winning pass, even though he was doing the stanky leg with his foot on that possession. See here: https://twitter.com/brohrbach/status/1655583366639505416?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 06:13:07 PM by jpotter33 »