17 (54.8%)
Smart for Sengun, Tate, Eason
8 (25.8%)
Smart for Jalen Smith, Isaiah Jackson, TJ McConnell
3 (9.7%)
Smart for Nurkic and Watford
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Best trade package for Smart  (Read 15586 times)

Re: Best trade package for Smart
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2023, 04:16:03 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I'm not sure how this Trey Murphy for Smart deal is supposed to work salary wise. One guy makes 3.2 million, the other 17.2 million. Also from what i understand NOP is going to be pretty close to the luxury tax this year, I don't think they'd want to give up one of their cost-controlled guys for a 17 million dollar guy.

The Pelicans have several expiring contracts & team options.

Expiring: Hayes, Richardson

TO: Lewis Jr, Hernangomez, Marshall, Temple

Totalling (roughly) 22 million off their books.

Yes but Zion's contract increases from 13 million this past year to 33 million. They don't have cap space to juist take on Smart's contract, they can't just swap 3 million for 17 million. They need to send out a lot more salary to make this trade legal. JV would probably need to be part of the deal.

The salary cap increases next season from 123 to 134 million.

I wasn’t expecting to get into the minutia of a theoretical trade haha
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2023, 05:30:25 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Trade for a shooter, duggie mcbuckets
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 05:47:46 AM by goCeltics »

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2023, 06:01:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Trade for a shooter, duggie mcbuckets

Serious question:

How much better is Doug McDermott than Sam Hauser?
Even, is D McDermott any better than Sam Hauser?

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2023, 06:14:11 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Mcbuckets is more proven I think, done it for longer, also get the addition by subtraction thing
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 06:32:17 AM by goCeltics »

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2023, 07:07:19 AM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
We are not going to be trading Smart anytime soon.

Unfortunately yes
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2023, 08:36:22 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Mcbuckets is more proven I think, done it for longer, also get the addition by subtraction thing
Is this addition by subtraction mean Marcus Smart? I didn't realize it was Smart for McDermott. Sorry, I should have copped on.

I wouldn't trade Smart for McDermott. I view McDermott as an average bench player. That isn't enough for Smart. Nor do I view Smart as a net negative or addition by subtraction player.

I would trade Smart for one of the following (1) A good starter level player likely a wing or a big (2) A high draft pick if there is someone there that I like (3) a talented up and comer.

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2023, 08:40:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I would consider trading Smart for a high draft pick in the 6-10 range if a prospect I want is available at the time of the pick. There are two guys I like that I would trade Smart for.

Gradey Dick
Taylor Hendricks

There may be others but those are two I am aware of and like the look of talent wise. I like Gradey to be a starting SF for the best part of 10-12 years in the NBA. Taylor Hendricks has more upside but maybe a lower floor. A lot of athleticism and defensive talent. Some offensive game. Possibly a long term starter at PF to replace Horford down the road.

I don't know who the teams are in the 6-10 range or if any of them are interested in trading their pick for a vet like Smart. Sometimes there are teams like that. Sometimes there aren't.

After looking them up, maybe Indiana or Washington at 7 or 8. Dallas at 10. Need some luck that one of those guys is available then. I would only make the trade if the player I want is available. No interest in trading Smart for a pick if there isn't someone specific there that I want.

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2023, 09:15:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would consider trading Smart for a high draft pick in the 6-10 range if a prospect I want is available at the time of the pick. There are two guys I like that I would trade Smart for.

Do you think he could garner that high of pick , I do not

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2023, 09:34:01 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Yes. He still has the defensive MVP pedigree. He's an ideal player for a young team looking to legitimize their playoff contention. The Rockets, Magic, and Pistons would all be possibilities. Also, these teams may be interested in adding solid veterans instead of another young player that needs development. Coaches like Ime and Monty might want a veteran presence with defensive grit as well.

I mean, the Raptors were reportedly looking for 3 firsts for OG, who had his first all-defensive team this year. Smart has three of those and a defensive MVP. OG is very reliant as on playing off of other players to get his shots too, like a lite version of Jerami Grant. Whereas Smart has some shot creation and can set his teammates up.

Celtics fans act like Marcus Smart is an 8th man. He's a frustrating player at times for sure, but if you removed all those frustrations, he'd be on the verge of being one of the best guards in the NBA.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 09:52:28 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2023, 09:59:38 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

I think Smart could get the C's a pick from 10-15 but the more ideal scenario would be a vet for vet trade.  Smart for a Collins type. 

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2023, 10:10:54 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'm not sure how this Trey Murphy for Smart deal is supposed to work salary wise. One guy makes 3.2 million, the other 17.2 million. Also from what i understand NOP is going to be pretty close to the luxury tax this year, I don't think they'd want to give up one of their cost-controlled guys for a 17 million dollar guy.

The Pelicans have several expiring contracts & team options.

Expiring: Hayes, Richardson

TO: Lewis Jr, Hernangomez, Marshall, Temple

Totalling (roughly) 22 million off their books.

Yes but Zion's contract increases from 13 million this past year to 33 million. They don't have cap space to juist take on Smart's contract, they can't just swap 3 million for 17 million. They need to send out a lot more salary to make this trade legal. JV would probably need to be part of the deal.

The salary cap increases next season from 123 to 134 million.

I wasn’t expecting to get into the minutia of a theoretical trade haha

I get it, but for a trade discussion to be useful you have to actually propose a trade that would work or is relatively close to working under NBA trade rules. Otherwise what's the point? As it stands NOP are over the cap next yera and so have to match incoming salary with outgoing salary.

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2023, 10:11:14 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Yes. He still has the defensive MVP pedigree. He's an ideal player for a young team looking to legitimize their playoff contention. The Rockets, Magic, and Pistons would all be possibilities. Also, these teams may be interested in adding solid veterans instead of another young player that needs development. Coaches like Ime and Monty might want a veteran presence with defensive grit as well.

I mean, the Raptors were reportedly looking for 3 firsts for OG, who had his first all-defensive team this year. Smart has three of those and a defensive MVP. OG is very reliant as on playing off of other players to get his shots too, like a lite version of Jerami Grant. Whereas Smart has some shot creation and can set his teammates up.

Celtics fans act like Marcus Smart is an 8th man. He's a frustrating player at times for sure, but if you removed all those frustrations, he'd be on the verge of being one of the best guards in the NBA.

Smart has value for sure.  The Celtics also have players on the roster who can replace Smart.   I believe White as starting pg would be better than Smart.  Brogdon also has diverse skills. And then there’s PP and Davison.  Smart for a high energy big makes sense to me.

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2023, 10:50:05 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
My trade ideas:

1. to the Magic for Isaac and 6th pick
I'm still a fan and willing to take the risk on this guy. Isaac has the potential to be a defensive MVP and could be the perfect fit on this roster. Need another big. Smart stacks next to their young core and immediately gives them a QB on defense to help them take the next step to making the playoffs.

2. to the Pistons for Bogdonavic and 5th pick, or for Wiseman and the 5th pick?
Bogdonavic would help with some of our scoring issues. Monty Williams would appreciate having a veteran guard next to the young core, and would help their defense significantly.

3. to the Rockets for Porter Jr. and 4th pick, or for Smith Jr. straight up
If the Rockets are able to land Harden, they would immediately be seeking solid veterans, especially defenders, to put next to him. The Rockets could also sign another vet (Grant? Green?) and immediately be a playoff threat again. I don't really like Porter Jr., but I really like Smith.

4. to the Pacers for Hield and the 7th pick, or for Turner straight up
I don't think this is enough value for the Celtics, but Smart does make some sense next to Haliburton.

5. to Utah for Sexton and the 9th pick, or for Markennan straight up
Ainge drafted Smart. I've been a fan of Sexton for some time, but again, I don't think this is enough value. But if Ainge and Hardy are fans, this could vault them forward while they continue to rebuild.

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2023, 10:53:04 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Smart has value for sure.  The Celtics also have players on the roster who can replace Smart.   I believe White as starting pg would be better than Smart.  Brogdon also has diverse skills. And then there’s PP and Davison.  Smart for a high energy big makes sense to me.

I'm almost never in agreement with your posts but here I am. I'll give you a TP  ;D
Do you have players in mind?

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2023, 11:04:11 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I saw this one online:

Marcus Smart to San Antonio FOR McDermott, Tre Jones (Sign And Trade), 2025 1st round via ATL, 2027 1st round via ATL. 

Gives the team a legitimate shooter with experience, another young guard to develop, but also two future 1sts and a little bit of cap flexibility for potentially other moves with exceptions due to the new CBA rules.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller