17 (54.8%)
Smart for Sengun, Tate, Eason
8 (25.8%)
Smart for Jalen Smith, Isaiah Jackson, TJ McConnell
3 (9.7%)
Smart for Nurkic and Watford
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Best trade package for Smart  (Read 15509 times)

Best trade package for Smart
« on: April 27, 2023, 01:12:25 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

All these trades work in the machine. You can debate about draft capital going either way.

The pacers Isaiah Jackson is 11th in the league in blocks pet game playing only 16mpg. Jalen Smith could help as well. TJ will give you his all and not complain. If the pacers give us a pick I like that deal.

This post is meant to kick Smart in his you know what.  I'm getting tired of him,  but I still love him.  He's just gotta realize that if we choke early,  he's likely out the door.

Re: Best trade package for Smart
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 01:18:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The only one I would consider iss the 1st one.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 01:36:02 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Really Who, no interest in Sengun? It was rumored he was our draft pick if we didn't trade the pick for Horford.  Oddly enough he's a great Horford replacement  because of his passing.

This is assuming Rockets get Wembanyana and they want to give the team an Identity.  Smart and Ime with Wemby and Jaken Green Jabari Smith Jr.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 05:56:59 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I was thinking Smart, TL, Galo and a few 1st for KAT may be way to go.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 08:31:44 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I was thinking Smart, TL, Galo and a few 1st for KAT may be way to go.
It'd probably take 4 1st's and 3 swaps for Minnesota to even consider it, of course with Gobert I'm not sure what good TL does for them, so they'd have to move on from him as well. 

I'd love Towns, but I don't think it can be done without Brown or Tatum, and that doesn't make a ton of sense especially as the path to the Finals is wide open again. 

I think I'd call the Cavs.  Smart, R. Williams, Pritchard for Allen, Okoro, Rubio.  That trade makes a fair amount of sense for both teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 08:39:39 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
i would do the first two trades so fast the planet would shake.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 09:41:02 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Really Who, no interest in Sengun? It was rumored he was our draft pick if we didn't trade the pick for Horford.  Oddly enough he's a great Horford replacement  because of his passing.

This is assuming Rockets get Wembanyana and they want to give the team an Identity.  Smart and Ime with Wemby and Jaken Green Jabari Smith Jr.

Yeah, I am going back and forth on that Sengun one. I like his offensive game but his defense is absolutely miserable. He reminds me a lot of Enes Kanter only with passing ability. I am not sure Sengun will ever be a legitimate NBA defender or ever able to be quality piece on a title contender due to how bad his defense is.

Then again, if he can get his defense up to even adequate level then he has All-Star level talent because of his intelligence and skill on the offensive side of the floor.

Ultimately, I just do not like the risk involved in it. If I am trading a player as good as Marcus Smart, I want a sure thing rather than a high risk reward player like Sengun. I want someone I can rely on to be part of the team for the next 5-10 years and valuable.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 10:32:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

For Houston ...

Smart would be an awesome addition. I'd love to see him there. He is exactly what they need = a winner. A tough minded defensive player who plays team first basketball. None of those young guys know how to play team basketball. None of those guys know how to play be a winner. None of those guys know how to play defense.

Smart would be their best player until their young guys mature enough to take over the mantle from him. That could happen quickly (within Smart's first year there) or slowly (2-3yrs).

It would be so beautiful for Houston to be done with Kevin Porter Jr and his selfishness ... and to replace him with with a great team player like Smart. What a wonderful change that would be for them.

As for Sengun and Wembanyama, I expect Wemby to play PF for his 2-3 years in the NBA rather than center. Wemby is too skinny and easily pushed around to play the five so I expect they'll use him at PF until he grows into his body. Like Evan Mobley in Cleveland. So I would expect Houston to want to keep Sengun as their five to play next to Wemby rather than Wemby making Sengun expendible.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 10:59:35 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Towns is a dog and will never win anything. I really don't understand why people can't see that yet. Mike Conley doesn't believe in him.  I don't know why so many here do.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 11:09:58 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I would do the first trade, but doubt Magic would give up Carter. Unless they strike gold on Wemby.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 11:21:04 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The pacers Isaiah Jackson is 11th in the league in blocks pet game playing only 16mpg. Jalen Smith could help as well. TJ will give you his all and not complain. If the pacers give us a pick I like that deal.

Jalen Smith is the type of player that I would consider trading Smart for, a young PF, but I am not sure how good Jalen Smith is.  Same with Isaiah Jackson, there is a reason he only played 16 min/gm on a bad team.  And  I don't care much for draft picks right now.  Unless the draft pick can be traded for a useful player, it makes no sense to trade a rotation player like Smart for prospects and picks.  We need at least a starter level player back for Smart.  A starter level young PF would be great, just not sure that is Jalen Smith.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2023, 11:25:23 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
trading a dollar for a bunch of loose change is not a good move for the celtics. you don't replace smart by bringing in 2-3 inferior players. since nba rules show you can only have 5 players on the court at a time, you want the best 5 players you can get on the court.

i dont think any single one of the players you suggest by themselves is better than smart.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2023, 11:27:50 AM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
I can't get behind any of these trades. If you want to win championships, you need every position to have 2 or more elite skills.
If the team wants to trade smart, then the team needs someone who can guard quick shooters like Trae Young and Steph Curry better than Marcus Smart can.
Also, I would support a trade to get the Al Horford replacement: but again, is there a player out there that can defend, rebound, and stretch the floor like Horford? Most of the power forwards out there are a wash because they can't defend.
The Celtics need the next Gary Payton (the Glove) and until then Smart is about the best you can do. The team strategy is to have big guards who are quick enough to give the Curry's trouble. That is why they traded for White instead of for Murray. It is also why they probably will trade away Payton Pritchard. Pritchard is a better shooter than Smart, but Trae Young would've scored 60 if Pritchard was the main defender. Pritchard is great and works hard on defense and rebounding, but he has no advantage over the Trae Young's and Curry's while Smart has the body.
Did anyone here see the Youtube video on Smart explaining defense? He mentioned that in college he did pinky drag wind sprints at every practice. You keep your pinky on the floor and run up and down the court really fast. If the pinky lifts off the floor, you go back to start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hit_j7DlwZ8
Smart also mentions that no matter how well you guard Kevin Durant, he just shoots over you.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2023, 12:15:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Towns is a dog and will never win anything. I really don't understand why people can't see that yet. Mike Conley doesn't believe in him.  I don't know why so many here do.
I'm with you.  It's so obvious to me but people here act like he's the dream center for this team.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2023, 12:28:59 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I actually would love if this team could somehow end up with Jarace Walker from University of Houston. It would likely take the 6th or 7th pick but I think the kid will be able to contribute early in his NBA Career for a contender and could develop into the type of bruising big wing that we currently lack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXF_CielixI&ab_channel=Highlights101

IMO I love the age range of the current team but it would be great to have an iron or 2 in the fire developing as well.