Author Topic: Rumor: Mavs Fear Doncic Trade Request  (Read 10485 times)

Re: Rumor: Mavs Fear Doncic Trade Request
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2023, 09:12:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The Mavs didn't just tank the last 2 games, they just made the last 2 games a super obvious tank.  Dallas was 31-26 at one point this year.  That means they closed the season at 7-18 and were just 2-9 in their last 11.  They've been tanking for awhile.
A fine won’t hurt Cuban, taking away that 1st round pick will
I agree, I don't think they do that, but I agree.
it's the one way the league can send a message that Dallas (and every other team) will notice.  a fine won't deter anyone from doing it again.

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2023, 09:22:23 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The Mavs didn't just tank the last 2 games, they just made the last 2 games a super obvious tank.  Dallas was 31-26 at one point this year.  That means they closed the season at 7-18 and were just 2-9 in their last 11.  They've been tanking for awhile.
it's the one way the league can send a message that Dallas (and every other team) will notice.  a fine won't deter anyone from doing it again.

I could see them taking a second but not a first (and even that is doubtful).  Dallas was a pretty egregious tanker here but not the worst ever.  Even this season, a lot of team sat their top players once they were out of it.  Utah sat Markkanen.  Detroit sat people.

Dallas is different in that they pretty much gave up on a play in or play off opportunity, clearly just to keep a top 10 pick.  This is more than just a few more ping pong balls.  Not sure how to fix it though.

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2023, 09:29:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I could see them taking a second but not a first (and even that is doubtful).  Dallas was a pretty egregious tanker here but not the worst ever.  Even this season, a lot of team sat their top players once they were out of it.  Utah sat Markkanen.  Detroit sat people.

Dallas is different in that they pretty much gave up on a play in or play off opportunity, clearly just to keep a top 10 pick.  This is more than just a few more ping pong balls. Not sure how to fix it though.
this makes it different from the other teams as you mentioned.  the way to fix it is to take away the trade exceptions and have the pick go out in the deal regardless.   it should be stated league policy that teams with an opportunity to make the playoffs are expected to make that effort.  to be that close and not play their best healthy players for multiple games is unacceptable.  While franchises are certainly permitted to be run as their management sees fit -- whether to pursue the playoffs or rebuild -- that late in the season with the playoffs within reach the team  should be expected to try for the playoffs or it's a fraud/scam perpetrated on the fans that bought tickets for those games.   

if the league doesn't push to have the pick conveyed as the penalty, have the team refund all ticket purchases for those games.  that'll also get the ownership's attention.  sadly with the volume of ticket resales, a lot of those refunds will go to scalpers/agencies that did not utilize the tickets and they end up with double the money for those tickets (refund and secondary purchasers)

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2023, 10:17:59 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
This offseason and next season are big for the Mavs. I'm sure Doncic loves it in Dallas, but if things go sour again then that's all it can take for him to potentially reconsider staying.

They'll probably retain Kyrie, but they need to do a lot of work to revamp/add to the bench.

I don’t think people understand how bad of a situation the Dallas Mavericks are in for the foreseeable future.

They don’t have room for a max free agent & they still have to re-sign Dwight Powell, Christin Woods & Kyrie Irving.

If Irving walks in free agency (again), it would be devastating for the Mavs.
Yeah, they have so much money tied up in the likes of Hardaway Jr & Bertans, it's a bad situation indeed

I forgot, it actually gets worse.

Dallas will lose their upcoming pick to New York if it falls beyond 1-10. If it doesn’t, Dallas can’t trade a 1st round pick until it coveys to the Knicks or 2025.

Dallas tanked the last two games to ensure that they wouldn’t lose this years first round pick, even though they still had a chance to make the play-in tournament.

The NBA will investigate the Dallas Mavericks' decision to sit out several key players in Friday night's 115-112 loss to the Chicago Bulls that eliminated the team from Western Conference play-in contention.

"The NBA commenced an investigation today into the facts and circumstances surrounding the Dallas Mavericks' roster decisions and game conduct with respect to last night's Chicago Bulls-Mavericks game, including the motivations behind those actions," NBA spokesperson Mike Bass said Saturday afternoon.

It'd be fitting for the league to remove the trade restrictions as the penalty for Dallas.

Dallas is in this mess because the Knicks blatantly tampered for Brunson.  That cost the Knicks all of a 2025 draft pick — Dallas’ penalty shouldn’t even be that much.

Brunson was an UFA. How was there tampering? Seems like Dallas is in this mess because they didn’t lock Jalen up when they had the chance.

The NBA found that the Knicks tampered and penalized them for it.  I’m not sure how you’re questioning whether or not tampering occurred.

I looked it up. So a slap on the wrist for talking to him before the “legal” tampering period began? Big deal. Cost them a second round pick. Again, Mavs should have signed Bruson to a long term deal when they had the chance.

This week, Brunson joined J.J. Redick’s “The Old Man And The Three podcast and revealed the real reason he decided to leave the team he previously thought he’d play his entire career with.
“Business came knocking on the door,” said Brunson. “It was time to just at least look. I had to do my due diligence and look and see what was out there.”
Brunson apparently wanted to sign a four-year, $56 million contract extension (the same one Dorian Finney-Smith signed in February) with the Mavs, not only before last season started, but again in January. But the Mavs didn’t offer him the extension until after the trade deadline, which sent a signal that Brunson might have been being used as trade bait. At that point, it was pretty much the beginning of the end, although Brunson remained professional about it throughout the remainder of the season.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 10:49:34 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2023, 10:26:27 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think it would be pretty funny if OKC ends up winning one of the top 4 picks because they made the play-in and lost and Dallas ends up with the 11th pick anyway.  That would be about as fitting as you could get.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2023, 11:30:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I think it would be pretty funny if OKC ends up winning one of the top 4 picks because they made the play-in and lost and Dallas ends up with the 11th pick anyway.  That would be about as fitting as you could get.
very fitting indeed

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2023, 11:37:19 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
very fitting indeed

Took me about 8 attempts in the Tankathon lottery simulation before I got a scenario where DAL drops to 11.

I've spent way too much time on that website over the years.  :P

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2023, 11:49:29 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
very fitting indeed

Took me about 8 attempts in the Tankathon lottery simulation before I got a scenario where DAL drops to 11.

It is not all that statistically improbable.  If one of teams 11-14 moves up to a top 4 pick, while Dallas does not, Dallas drops down.  I am not sure how to figure this but Tankathon odds have a 19% chance that DAL drops to 11 and 1% chance they drop lower than this.  If I am reading this correctly, that is about a 20% chance they lose the pick anyway, 14% chance they get top 4, and 66% chance they get pick #10.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 11:54:41 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2023, 11:53:26 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
very fitting indeed

Roughly 20% chance that the pick drops to 11th or worse.  If it does the pick goes to the Knicks, the Mavs only keep the pick if it ends up top 10. 

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2023, 11:56:10 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
very fitting indeed

It is not all that statistically improbable.  If one of teams 11-14 moves up to a top 4 pick, while Dallas does not, Dallas drops down.  I am not sure how to figure this but Tankathon odds have a 19% chance that DAL drops to 11 and 1% chance they drop lower than this.  If I am reading this correctly, that is about a 20% chance they lose the pick anyway.

Yeah, there's definitely a chance of it happening.

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2023, 11:56:22 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
very fitting indeed

It is not all that statistically improbable.  If one of teams 11-14 moves up to a top 4 pick, while Dallas does not, Dallas drops down.  I am not sure how to figure this but Tankathon odds have a 19% chance that DAL drops to 11 and 1% chance they drop lower than this.  If I am reading this correctly, that is about a 20% chance they lose the pick anyway, 14% chance they get top 4, and 66% chance they get pick #10.

That’s correct.  Dallas has a ~20.21% chance of losing the pick.  It is unlikely they lose it, but it’s far from impossible.

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2023, 11:58:27 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
very fitting indeed

Roughly 20% chance that the pick drops to 11th or worse.  If it does the pick goes to the Knicks, the Mavs only keep the pick if it ends up top 10.

Yup.  It's top 10 protected thru '25.  Then I believe it becomes a '25 2nd rounder.

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2023, 02:22:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
very fitting indeed

Years of self-torture with those late lottery picks, trying to will them to jump through endless Tankathon sims
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2023, 08:37:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yeah I love Doncic ,  but I don’t think he is the right mesh for Tatum or Giannis type.  Brown and  Luka maybe .   Doncic has to be very ball dominant like Bron . 

He would be great replacing Bron on LA.

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2023, 09:42:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Yeah I love Doncic ,  but I don’t think he is the right mesh for Tatum or Giannis type.  Brown and  Luka maybe .   Doncic has to be very ball dominant like Bron . 

He would be great replacing Bron on LA.
Lebron worked fine with Wade and Irving in his prime. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip