Author Topic: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread  (Read 32268 times)

Re: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2023, 10:37:33 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I see there being a lot to play out before you can start to speculate about what they will do or should do at the trade deadline.  There are several big open questions, including:

1.  Will Sale hold up?
     2.  What are we going to get from Paxton?
     3.  When will Story be back and how will he play?

Other key players could get hurt creating needs that we don't have now.  So far so good really is where things are at right now. 

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2023, 10:51:31 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
My boy yoshida has only struck out 11 times this season.  That is incredible in this current era.

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2023, 10:27:32 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So... Sale is throwing 99MPH heaters now...

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2023, 10:30:59 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Lot of people eating crow about the Yoshida signing. It's looked like a splendid one so far.

Also I had my doubts, but I'm becoming more optimistic with Sale. His stuff actually looks good and he's starting to figure things out. He had 1 bad inning, but still bounced back well after that and had 10 Ks. He wasn't striking too many guys out earlier, but now he is again.

If the rotation can at least be decent/solid, the Sox can win a lot of games, maybe even 85+ which was enough for a wild card spot last year btw in the AL.

The bullpen has been 1000x better too. It's nice to feel confident holding a 1-2 run lead with Schreiber, Martin, Winckowski and Jansen in the back-end of our BP. Only Brasier and Ort suck, but everyone else is really good.

I do find it amusing that the Yankees are the team in last place now, and they don't look good + they have A TON of injuries. Just annoying that the Rays keep winning. But whatever, I never thought we had a chance at division anyways, I'd be happy with a wild card spot and so far, we're at least firmly in the mix.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2023, 10:44:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Red Sox are now 21-14, 3rd best record in the A.L.

Devers leads the league in RBI and is 2nd in HR.

Wow..
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2023, 09:17:09 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I sorted some stats.  In the first 15 games (up to 15 Apr 2023) the Sox starters' ERA was 6.99, second worst in all of baseball.  Their record was 7-8 (pretty decent actually considering how bad the starting pitching was).  OAK starters' ERA in that same time frame was 9.71 which is historically pathetic, or we would have been the worst.  In the last 20 games, the Sox starters' ERA has improved to 5.27 and not surprisingly, their record has been much better during that stretch, 14-6. The season record now is 21-14, surprisingly good.

Even in the last 20 games, a starters' ERA of 5.27 is not great.  It would still rank in the bottom 10 of the league if that was their ERA for the season.  Our current overall season starters' ERA is 5.93.  I think this group of starters can pitch to and ERA in the range of 4.50 to 5.00, which would still be below league average.  Sale seems to be settling in.  Pivetta and Kluber have pitched in this range the last couple of seasons (better actually).  Then we need to piece something together between Houck, Bella, Paxton, Whitlock, and maybe Crawford.

As to the hitting, I don't see it being any better than it has been so far this season but I can see it continuing.  We will get Duvall back at some point (although Jarren Duran has been great) and we should get Story back.  Masataka Yoshida has been a big surprise but looks like he is just a good hitter (vs. and outlier hot streak).  Otherwise, the production we are getting all seems sustainable.

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2023, 09:30:12 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Unstoppable!
Yup

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2023, 10:40:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
8 in a row. This team is an absolute WAGON right now  ;D

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2023, 05:56:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Looks like Paxton pitched well in his debut, but we wasted his effort. Still promising.

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2023, 06:30:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
What a bizarre game with the pitch timer crap and another blown save.

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2023, 06:31:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
What a bizarre game with the pitch timer crap and another blown save.

This umpire is an absolute stooge.

I blame Cora for even bringing Jansen in today after last night, but then again, Jansen did induce the DP. Our shortstop (Enrique) blew that though. Enrique has been absolutely USELESS for this team. Constantly GIDP, horrible shortstop defense. Provides nothing.

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2023, 12:13:56 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
In other news... Paxton with another strong start. Pitching rotation rounding up.

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2023, 02:53:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
The Sox would have been much better off just re-signing one of Eovaldi/Wacha as opposed to letting both walk and signing Kluber. Now Kluber is moved to the bullpen, but I highly doubt he'll work there either (his stuff is absolutely poor, it'll be like another Brasier).

Sox are 26-24, They are 2-7 in Kluber's starts and honestly, they've been noncompetitive in a lot of them since Kluber gets roughed up early in most of his starts.

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2023, 03:47:02 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Sox would have been much better off just re-signing one of Eovaldi/Wacha as opposed to letting both walk and signing Kluber. Now Kluber is moved to the bullpen, but I highly doubt he'll work there either (his stuff is absolutely poor, it'll be like another Brasier).

Sox are 26-24, They are 2-7 in Kluber's starts and honestly, they've been noncompetitive in a lot of them since Kluber gets roughed up early in most of his starts.

Yup. Either Nate or Wacha would've been miles better. Once again I have no idea what Bloom's thought process was.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2023, 09:17:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
And it begins…

Sale leaves the game in the 4th with “left shoulder soreness”. Lol