Author Topic: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread  (Read 32368 times)

Re: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2023, 12:19:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Through 59 games last season, the Sox were 31-28

This season? 30-29.

Basically another .500-ish, middling mediocre season again. At least football is about 2 months away (preseason and beyond).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2023, 02:48:19 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
And it begins…

Sale leaves the game in the 4th with “left shoulder soreness”. Lol

Yeah, that was a shocker, lol.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2023, 02:48:40 PM »

• Satch Sanders

This season? 30-29.

Basically another .500-ish, middling mediocre season again. At least football is about 2 months away (preseason and beyond).

Trust the process.

/sarcasm
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2023, 04:07:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

This season? 30-29.

Trust the process.

/sarcasm

I feel like this team has more of a legit shot at mediocrity though.  Last year was a train wreck.  This is working hard at it, they're just not good enough to win consistemtly.
Yup

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2023, 04:19:58 PM »

• Satch Sanders

This season? 30-29.

Trust the process.

/sarcasm

I feel like this team has more of a legit shot at mediocrity though.  Last year was a train wreck.  This is working hard at it, they're just not good enough to win consistently.

You're probably right. And “legit mediocrity” is probably what Bloom is shooting for, LOL.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2023, 01:58:22 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Red Sox smoked the Yankees 15-5 tonight  :o

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2023, 02:06:54 AM »

• Satch Sanders

Always awesome to see a Sox beatdown of the Yankees!

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2023, 08:59:49 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

This season? 30-29.

Trust the process.

/sarcasm

I feel like this team has more of a legit shot at mediocrity though.  Last year was a train wreck.  This is working hard at it, they're just not good enough to win consistently.

You're probably right. And “legit mediocrity” is probably what Bloom is shooting for, LOL.

I think it is what the management is shooting for. If they wanted splashy signings, they should have signed someone like Dombrowski. Instead they hired the guy who helped build TB's farm system with one of the lowest payrolls.

The Red Sox are no longer a top tier team re: spending. This is intentional. They know they've won 4 rings in 19 years, so this buys some patience. I think the Red Sox will start spending again once Mayer/Yorke come up to the big leagues in 2024 or 2025.

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2023, 11:04:04 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Good. Screw them. I had fun  ;D

FWIW, we're also 4 games back of the 2nd and 3rd wild card spots (all held by HOU/NYY/LAA who are tied). Still in the mix surprisingly.

The Sox actually seem to play pretty well against better teams, but then they randomly lose series to the likes of Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Colorado, St. Louis, etc.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2023, 11:10:45 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Good. Screw them. I had fun  ;D

FWIW, we're also 4 games back of the 2nd and 3rd wild card spots (all held by HOU/NYY/LAA who are tied). Still in the mix surprisingly.

I hear a lot on TV people say "the Red Sox are in last place".  But really, they are a 0.500 team that is in the middle of the pack for the AL and is very much in the hunt for a wild card playoff birth.  Their starting pitching is still poor, Sale is hurt again, Paxton will probably be next.  But it is unnecessary hyperbole to always refer to the them as "the last place Red Sox".  If you want to say the mediocre Red Sox or the stuck at 0.500 Red Sox, that is fine, but to always say the last place Red Sox is agenda driven.

« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2023, 10:37:41 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Anyone confident that the Sox will do something useful/noteworthy today? I'm not.

Chaim is continuing the long path to a rebuild. I don't see any significant prospects traded to push this team over the hump this year.

I would like a SP (or two). I love the progress from Duran and Yoshida, and am optimistic that Story, Whitlock, and Houck can come back and contribute.

Next year's free agent class doesn't look too strong (beyond Ohtani): https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

I'm hoping that Bloom can tap the international markets and continue to bring in veteran talent without trading prospects.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 10:57:15 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2023, 11:24:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Anyone confident that the Sox will do something useful/noteworthy today? I'm not.

Chaim is continuing the long path to a rebuild. I don't see any significant prospects traded to push this team over the hump this year.

I would like a SP (or two). I love the progress from Duran and Yoshida, and am optimistic that Story, Whitlock, and Houck can come back and contribute.

Next year's free agent class doesn't look too strong (beyond Ohtani): https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

I'm hoping that Bloom can tap the international markets and continue to bring in veteran talent without trading prospects.

I've got no hope for the Red Sox.  I don't think that ownership is committed to winning at the moment.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2023, 11:28:09 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I've got no hope for the Red Sox.  I don't think that ownership is committed to winning at the moment.

Going from top 5 in salary to 13th is a clear indicator of this.

That being said, I am optimistic for the long term. I think Bello and Duran have increased my optimism. I am psyched to see Mayer, Rafaela, and Yorke come up through the minors.

To your point, they aren't committing to 2023, but I think 2025 will yield something sustainable. I guess I'll watch on TV until then.

« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2023, 01:08:37 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I don't think anything major will happen today. I think ownership/Bloom don't see (or want) this team being a legit contender until at least 2025, so anything good that happens before then is just a bonus, in their view. But looking at it that way, some of the things they've done in recent times don't make sense—why the trade for Schwarber? Why bid against themselves for Yoshida? Why sign Story to a big contract? They may as well have just used their own youngsters and a few journeymen and gotten higher draft picks.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2023, 02:10:36 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I don't think anything major will happen today. I think ownership/Bloom don't see (or want) this team being a legit contender until at least 2025, so anything good that happens before then is just a bonus, in their view. But looking at it that way, some of the things they've done in recent times don't make sense—why the trade for Schwarber? Why bid against themselves for Yoshida? Why sign Story to a big contract? They may as well have just used their own youngsters and a few journeymen and gotten higher draft picks.

I agree. That being said, it's tough to sell a tank job in Boston. I don't think the Hinkie plan would ever work here. People spend too much money at the game, and they care too much. I'm not sure what % of Red Sox games still sell out, but it's much higher than KC, Oak, or even Tampa. I'm sure that Bloom's mandate is something similar to "build the team for the future and make it look like we might care about today". I think it's obvious to many that they don't care about today, so maybe that is Bloom's failure.