Author Topic: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread  (Read 32231 times)

Re: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2023, 02:12:22 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
12 Teams with ERA over 5.00 (3 are over 6.00).  Sox team ERA is 6.00.  Last season only 3 over 5.00.  I don't think the pitch clock is helping the pitchers.  I know it is cold in many places and that doesn't help either.  We'll see if the pitchers can adjust.

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2023, 03:49:19 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Chris Sale with a better performance. 3 runs, including 1 HR in 5IP. 7k’s. Not great, but good enough for the Sox to get the W(6-3).
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2023, 08:18:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
The balls definitely seem juiced like 2019. Idk, but there's so many HRs to start the season, even in colder weather places. And I don't think it's all from terrible pitching

Sadly the Sox pitchers have also been serving them up to start the year
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2023, 03:33:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Even as someone who is pretty optimistic, I just can't see any optimism with this team. I mean sure, we're hoping the young guys can take some jump. But when will that be, 2025? So this year and next are bridge years? We're 4 years into Bloom and I don't see a direction at all. Even last season's trade deadline we sold AND bought which sums it up (made no sense)

And I say all this as the Sox are about to be swept by Tampa after being up 3-1 today, then 1 inning later it's 8-3 Tampa (now 9-3)

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2023, 04:56:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
I almost feel like we have the bleakest roster of any team in baseball. Obviously devers is a great piece, and maybe casas turns into something, but who else generates even a tiny bit of excitement?

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2023, 06:41:41 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
…and maybe casas turns into something…
I think you meant to say “and maybe Casas gets another hit this year”. 🤮

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2023, 06:54:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
…and maybe casas turns into something…
I think you meant to say “and maybe Casas gets another hit this year”. 🤮

He did have an awesome 14-pitch AB which ended in a walk

Thought that might have given us a spark the rest of the game. I was wrong

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2023, 07:29:16 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Just posted this on Over the Monster, seems fitting here too:

As I've said before, this team is a bag of mismatched spare parts. And I know it could be worse—the team's 5-8, but could be 3-10, or 1-12—but I really do think it's going to get MUCH worse before it gets better. I know it's a long season, the Rays will eventually lose, probably even hit a skid at some point, and the Sox might luck into a modest win streak once in a blue moon, but I really do think this team is in HUGE trouble. I think Sale and Kluber are washed up, I think Whitlock is much better as a reliever than as a starter, I think Paxton (if he ever even plays) is washed up, I think Bello is completely unproven and far from a guaranteed contributor, and I think the lineup, even with Duvall, has only two legit power hitters, only one or two other decent hitters, and Rusney Castillo 2.0 in Yoshida. And trades aren't going to help (at least not in the short term), because they have almost nothing worthwhile with which to trade. I think, as long as Bloom is in charge, we're in for a long, slow-as-molasses, painful-as-kidney-stones rebuild that will mostly have to happen from within, but since the Sox aren't exactly loaded with top prospects, we're probably only in, like, year 4 or a "bridge decade." Buckle up? No, more like "just get out of the car and don't even think about taking a ride for quite a while."

And though I'm not familiar with every MLB roster, I agree with celticsclay that this must be the bleakest roster in baseball.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2023, 01:40:55 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Actually surprised the Sox are 6-8 at this point… if Sale and Kluber can figure it out, could be an average team instead of a bad one.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2023, 02:37:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Actually surprised the Sox are 6-8 at this point… if Sale and Kluber can figure it out, could be an average team instead of a bad one.

I think our pitching for the most part has been fine, in fact the bullpen has been awesome if you don't count the trash guys we have (Brasier, Ort, etc.). Problem is, this lineup is often lifeless and has a ton of guys batting less than .175 (batting average). Outside of Devers and Verdugo, there aren't really many other "threats" either. Maybe some reinforcements come like Story later in the season or Duvall post-injury, but by then this season could be over for the Sox anyways.

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2023, 03:16:13 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
The Chris Sale extension was by far the dumbest signing in Red Sox history. He was clearly damaged goods at the time and he still had a year left on his contract. Still hurting this team. I wonder if his ineptitude continues if he would consider just retiring after this season and letting the Sox off the hook for the remainder of his contract. I know it would be a stupid financial move on his part but perhaps his conscience kicks in. He’s probably earned like $10 million of his contract vs the $120 million plus he’s been paid.

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2023, 08:27:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Sale’s having a good outing. Zero runs in 4IP. 8 K’s.

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2023, 11:23:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Red Sox walk it off in extras!

I'll give them this. The team isn't that talented and they have a lot of flaws (which is primarily on Bloom and the FO), but there's no doubt this team fights and battles.

Encouraging to see Sale pitch well tonight. I need to see it consistently to believe it, but even if he turns into a solid mid-rotation kind of guy I'll gladly take it. He needed this performance though given how it's started for him

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2023, 12:01:50 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
1 game over .500….  ;)

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2023, 09:31:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
6-2 in their last 8 games.

Technically speaking, they are just 1.5 back of a wild card spot currently.

Problem is, they are last place in their division because everyone else is also above .500 (bloodbath)