Author Topic: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?  (Read 10358 times)

Re: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2023, 07:48:53 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
He’s making $2M and next year will make $4M.  $10M overall in his first 4 years. I realize money isn’t the only thing and that it’s all relative - the guy stands to make much more money the more he showcases his skills. But, the adjustment from wanting a trade for more PT to giving it his all in his current role shouldn’t be difficult. More so, it should be expected.  $2M for playing 10 minutes of basketball per game and working to keep your body ready and skills sharp is pretty good compensation.  Love that he’s still here and hope he can make a contribution in the playoffs when called upon.

I guess his fear is that he might be out of the league if he withers away on the bench, especially given he's a small guard with limited utility and his production has been declining over his time in the league. Probably the fear of that happening outweighs the desire to win a champtionship even as a spectator on the bench. I think he will be alright though. On the bench at least. But his future in the league is probably a little murky unless someone takes a chance on him.

I always find it fascinating thinking about the motivations of end of benchers - the ones we don't always think about when we view players as commodities that make teams better or worse - those who are just trying to stay in the league, as opposed to the stars who are trying to win championships. Like you might think "why don't you want to stay with the Cs? You could win a ring!" when he's just trying to not end up in the G-League or in China  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2023, 09:24:06 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He’s making $2M and next year will make $4M.  $10M overall in his first 4 years. I realize money isn’t the only thing and that it’s all relative - the guy stands to make much more money the more he showcases his skills. But, the adjustment from wanting a trade for more PT to giving it his all in his current role shouldn’t be difficult. More so, it should be expected.  $2M for playing 10 minutes of basketball per game and working to keep your body ready and skills sharp is pretty good compensation.  Love that he’s still here and hope he can make a contribution in the playoffs when called upon.

I guess his fear is that he might be out of the league if he withers away on the bench, especially given he's a small guard with limited utility and his production has been declining over his time in the league. Probably the fear of that happening outweighs the desire to win a champtionship even as a spectator on the bench. I think he will be alright though. On the bench at least. But his future in the league is probably a little murky unless someone takes a chance on him.

I always find it fascinating thinking about the motivations of end of benchers - the ones we don't always think about when we view players as commodities that make teams better or worse - those who are just trying to stay in the league, as opposed to the stars who are trying to win championships. Like you might think "why don't you want to stay with the Cs? You could win a ring!" when he's just trying to not end up in the G-League or in China  :police:
Pretty much why I’ll never fault anyone for leaving to take a little more money. I know if I was him I’d be thinking the th same. $10 mil is nice but if you aren’t getting the opportunity to get minutes na and he double that in your next potential contract, I can see why he’s be concerned.

That being said, I think Pritchard would kill it in Europe. Think he’d have teams willing to pay him good money and a good role.

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2023, 03:20:30 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I’ve reached the stage where I’m pretty mad about his approach and think he’s turning a bit into a punk.

I really wish we had found a trade at the deadline. For a team who has been on a season long role, whole team orientation has been a big part of the success (camaraderie has been huge culture shift for me) it pains me to hear him put his interests first. This is a championship team. On a serious path. And #10 (arguably even further down) guy off the bench is causing a stir? Bye Felicia…

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2023, 03:31:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I’ve reached the stage where I’m pretty mad about his approach and think he’s turning a bit into a punk.

I really wish we had found a trade at the deadline. For a team who has been on a season long role, whole team orientation has been a big part of the success (camaraderie has been huge culture shift for me) it pains me to hear him put his interests first. This is a championship team. On a serious path. And #10 (arguably even further down) guy off the bench is causing a stir? Bye Felicia…

What stir? This is much ado about nothing.

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2023, 03:39:49 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

Even the slightest of stir from this guy shouldn’t ever happen. Who knows what it is causing in locker room. We’re all speculating.

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2023, 04:05:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

exactly, I don't get the sense that this has been even a small or minor distraction.
holy smoke we are blowing this out of proportion.  Yeah PP should have probably just towed the company line and not been as honest.
But the truth of it is he is our 3rd string point guard who has pretty much zero leverage in all this.  Brad will trad him when it is best for the team.
PP sounds like he is good friends with the guys on the team...it just isn't that big of a deal.

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2023, 02:29:51 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/celtics-payton-pritchard-reportedly-wants-a-trade-this-summer/ar-AA1c01er?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=b8dd2cfddbd9400893155d09dec201c0&ei=11

Looks like PP has basically requested a trade.  I still think Utah and Danny is his destination.

Here's where the salary cap and my lack of understanding of it come into play.  Can we trade PP for just a 1st?  Utah has three this year and may not want all three versus getting an experienced player that DA drafted.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2023, 02:41:28 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

Grant was a good solider and where did it get him? He wasn't played soon enough to help the team get back to the finals and he will probably get less of a contract.

I'm all about guys doing what they can to help the team, but the org showed it has no loyalty.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2023, 02:48:58 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/celtics-payton-pritchard-reportedly-wants-a-trade-this-summer/ar-AA1c01er?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=b8dd2cfddbd9400893155d09dec201c0&ei=11

Looks like PP has basically requested a trade.  I still think Utah and Danny is his destination.

Here's where the salary cap and my lack of understanding of it come into play.  Can we trade PP for just a 1st?  Utah has three this year and may not want all three versus getting an experienced player that DA drafted.

No way PP nets the Cs a first maybe PP+35 for 28 but I’m not sure the value is there to just move up 7 spots.

I’m guessing PP is moved in a package or for a pick in the 40s and a future 2nd. This sounds under whelming but with new CBA I think 2nds have just gained more value
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2023, 02:59:59 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

I'm not 100% on this because I've got a bit of a head cold, but based on the cap & the contracts for 2023-2024, we could trade him to Utah for a 1st, yes.

Whether Utah would take it is another question.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2023, 04:26:25 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I'm ok moving Smart and sliding PP into the guard rotation.
ok fine

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2023, 04:56:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I kind of wonder if they are better off trading Smart, keeping White, increasing the roles of White/Brogdon and having Pritchard/Davison on the bench as backups and letting them continue to develop. Or either a small signing/trade to acquire a depth PG if Davison isn't close to ready as the 4th PG. I'm assuming trading Smart means we keep JB but also get another big man on the team which is a need.

I'm not so sure PP's time in Boston is done. It probably is if they keep all of Smart/White/Brogdon. If not, there's an opening again and he can be in a bit of a similar role like 2022 (solid backup)

If you want to trade him, package him with Muscala's 3.5M salary option + pick(s) and see what you can get. A solid, cheap role player to fill another hole?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2023, 05:26:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm ok moving Smart and sliding PP into the guard rotation.
I would absolutely prefer we do this, but I know we won't, because we're run by morons.

Very frustrating. Haven't felt this personally annoyed about us shipping out a player for a while. Can't wait for Pritchard to light us up for the next decade a la Ish Smith
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2023, 06:00:06 PM »

Online BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Will we trade our only true PG? Yeah, makes perfect sense.

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2023, 06:03:06 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
we need..

Luka

work it Danny...!!

*sippin*