Author Topic: Tom Brady announces retirement  (Read 5254 times)

Re: Tom Brady announces retirement
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 10:22:48 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
If it sticks can we finally talk about what a weird dude TB is, or do we need to wait a few years?

Sure. Do tell us how weird this guy is. You know him?

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 10:44:58 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
There will be no other football goat than Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr

Thank you number 12. Best wishes to everything in the future!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 10:54:26 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
If it sticks can we finally talk about what a weird dude TB is, or do we need to wait a few years?

Not really - insofar as I haven't had more than passing interactions with the guy and his team over the years - but the plastic surgery, the association with Alex Guerrero, and the other public weirdness (to say nothing of the near-pathological desire to play football, which can be construed as weird but I don't buy it) are in the public domain.

Great quarterback. Weird dude. I don't see much point in being super reverential about him.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 12:17:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Not really - insofar as I haven't had more than passing interactions with the guy and his team over the years - but the plastic surgery, the association with Alex Guerrero, and the other public weirdness (to say nothing of the near-pathological desire to play football, which can be construed as weird but I don't buy it) are in the public domain.

Great quarterback. Weird dude. I don't see much point in being super reverential about him.

I find this to be a strange reaction.  Not being judgmental, I just don't see it.  I don't find it surprising that the greatest QB in the history of the game is being shown some reverence.  It doesn't mean that Alex Guerrero wasn't a questionable character and I guess then by association, it reflects on Brady.  And plastic surgery, I have no plans to get any but I don't judge anyone based on what they choose to do.

You also reference "other public weirdness", not sure what that is.  I just chalk it up to the fact that there always seems to be a little craziness mixed in with greatness.  Brady is no different.  Dealing with celebrity in this day and age is not an easy thing.  Many "stars" go off the deep end.  Aaron Rodgers for example (he is teetering on the edge of the deep end).  Many actors and musicians.  I think Tom dealt with it just fine.

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 12:40:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
For now  ;)

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2023, 01:04:30 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Dude can still throw the ball better than 90% of the league, but them bones start getting brittle....good to walk away while he still can.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2023, 01:20:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
One year too late imo. Lebron is next.

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2023, 03:25:09 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I would be stunned if he back tracked again on a retirement announcement.  I suspect he is done for real this time.

I hated that he went to Tampa in the first place and it was salt in the wound that he won a super bowl there.  But as a Pat's fan, we got 20 years of winning football from him.  No other franchise has had a comparable run.  No other athlete in any sport has had a comparable run with 1 team.

Also, I bought my wife a top end Brady jersey several years back ($150!).  I have to say she looks pretty hot in it.  But it has been in the attic since Brady went to Tampa.  I think she will take the jersey back out now.

I salute Tom Brady and hope for him all the best.

I'm baffled when fans have this mindset about a player when they leave, especially one who helped the team to inconceivable success. I rooted for Pierce and KG as much as a I rooted for the Celtics when they left just out of appreciation for what they did for the city.

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2023, 03:29:42 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I would be stunned if he back tracked again on a retirement announcement.  I suspect he is done for real this time.

I hated that he went to Tampa in the first place and it was salt in the wound that he won a super bowl there.  But as a Pat's fan, we got 20 years of winning football from him.  No other franchise has had a comparable run.  No other athlete in any sport has had a comparable run with 1 team.

Also, I bought my wife a top end Brady jersey several years back ($150!).  I have to say she looks pretty hot in it.  But it has been in the attic since Brady went to Tampa.  I think she will take the jersey back out now.

I'm baffled when fans have this mindset about a player when they leave, especially one who helped the team to inconceivable success. I rooted for Pierce and KG as much as a I rooted for the Celtics when they left just out of appreciation for what they did for the city.

I understand. VG isn't saying that he hates Tom Brady, just his departure.

In the case of KG and PP, the Celtics asked them to accept a trade and they did. In Brady's case, he left voluntarily, although one could make the argument that he was pushed out.

Either way, it hurts to see a player leave (especially after spending that much on a shirt) voluntarily.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2023, 03:53:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

In the case of KG and PP, the Celtics asked them to accept a trade and they did. In Brady's case, he left voluntarily, although one could make the argument that he was pushed out.

Either way, it hurts to see a player leave (especially after spending that much on a shirt) voluntarily.

Mike

Exactly, I didn't blame Tom Brady for it.  But I was also not going to root for him while he was a Buccaneer.  I didn't want the Buccaneers to do well.

Other prominent players leave, Johnny Damon to the Yankees for example.  He basically left, not traded.  That one I did blame Damon for to some extent.  Then there are other ones like Xander Bogaerts, where it is not really his fault at all.  I am not going to hope the Padres do well though.  Certainly didn't want to see Damon do well on the Yankees.

Brady is more like Xander in my mind, but somewhere in the middle.

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2023, 03:59:30 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Mike

I have little interest in Brady since he left. Generally speaking, when players leave I don’t root for them. I’m a Patriots fan, not a Brady fan.   I rooted like crazy for him when he was here - then he left. I don’t root for Tampa Bay.  Wish he’d stayed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 04:15:12 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2023, 04:41:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
My mostly un-serious predictions that I'll take full credit for if they happen:

1) Brady signs one of those silly 1-Day contracts with the Pats, so he can hug it out with Kraft and the Pats can start churning the Brady affiliation machine again.

2) The new lighthouse at Gillette gets named after Brady.

3) Brady will probably not be worth the $37.5 million/year as a broadcaster but will pour his heart into it, and be pretty good at it.
Yup

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2023, 04:51:51 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I'm a Brady fan before a Patriots fan, the league will never be the same without him.  :'(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2023, 12:36:27 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
For now  ;)

This. Once the Bucs slap their franchise tag on someone not named Brady, Brady will be in talks with Miami after Miami brings up the ongoing concerns about Tua’s concussions. Book it.

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2023, 08:46:25 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Tom Brady agreed to a 10-year, $375 million deal with FOX in May, and he is expected to pursue his broadcasting career in 2023, he won't be a part of the Super Bowl broadcast.

Multiple people said they were impressed by his ability to communicate football concepts.

—————————

Source: The Athletic
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 08:52:31 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine