Author Topic: 1986 Celtics - Poetry In Motion  (Read 7333 times)

1986 Celtics - Poetry In Motion
« on: December 25, 2022, 02:24:48 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

———————————

Source: https://youtu.be/O4Td5QRfzj4
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: 1986 Celtics - Poetry In Motion
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 02:43:16 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772

———————————

Thanks, good memories!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 02:50:10 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

———————————

If you liked the video about the 1986 Celtics, I bet you'll like this one too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T3y7cWmoBCI

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 01:30:31 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
So for those around here who think I am too critical or negative regarding the current Celtic group, these '86 highlights are what I think of when I say playing quality basketball the right way as opposed to dumb basketball played the wrong way. Jaylen and Jason would be lost if they somehow were magically put on the floor with this '86 team.

Obviously, I understand these highlights are some of the best plays from the greatest team in NBA history.
My expectation is not that Jayson Tatum should start passing the ball like Bird overnight. I would simply like to see the current team approach the game with a similar mentality as the '86 guys - winning is all that matters, whoever is open automatically gets the ball and keep the ball moving. Currently, the ball stops in one guy's hands while the rest of the team watches much too often.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 03:17:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
There were several things about that team that resulted in all the good passing.  People tend to acknowledge the obvious, the pass itself.  It all started with Bird, his vision and passing were unbelievable, and Walton too, others as well.  But I don't think that is what made that team so good.  What was really exceptional about that team was the off ball movement, the cutting, off ball picks.  They didn't just stand around and watch the pick and role develop.  Everyone was on the move and with purpose.

GSW are actually the closest thing these days, all driven by Curry.  He is a great shooter, of course, maybe the best ever, but if you really watch him, he is like Gretzky.  As soon as he passes the ball, he is cutting or curling, moving, all the time.  A move ahead in his head.

That to me is where this Celtics team (and all teams) lags the old Celtics teams.  That off ball movement isn't there.  They don't have Larry Bird either, of course, but I don't really understand what happened to the purposeful, choreographed off ball movement.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 03:30:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
There were several things about that team that resulted in all the good passing.  People tend to acknowledge the obvious, the pass itself.  It all started with Bird, his vision and passing were unbelievable, and Walton too, others as well.  But I don't think that is what made that team so good.  What was really exceptional about that team was the off ball movement, the cutting, off ball picks.  They didn't just stand around and watch the pick and role develop.  Everyone was on the move and with purpose.

GSW are actually the closest thing these days, all driven by Curry.  He is a great shooter, of course, maybe the best ever, but if you really watch him, he is like Gretzky.  As soon as he passes the ball, he is cutting or curling, moving, all the time.  A move ahead in his head.

That to me is where this Celtics team (and all teams) lags the old Celtics teams.  That off ball movement isn't there.  They don't have Larry Bird either, of course, but I don't really understand what happened to the purposeful, choreographed off ball movement.
Exactly.  Player movement is more important than ball movement.  You can pass the ball a lot and not have a good offense and each pass is a potential turnover.  Single pass to an open shooter, preferably at the basket, is the most efficient offense. 

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 05:20:29 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Agreed. I actually a good amount of off-ball movement during our hot start, but it hasn’t been sustained. Takes a lot more work of course, and a real trust in your teammates.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 05:33:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So for those around here who think I am too critical or negative regarding the current Celtic group, these '86 highlights are what I think of when I say playing quality basketball the right way as opposed to dumb basketball played the wrong way. Jaylen and Jason would be lost if they somehow were magically put on the floor with this '86 team.

Obviously, I understand these highlights are some of the best plays from the greatest team in NBA history.
My expectation is not that Jayson Tatum should start passing the ball like Bird overnight. I would simply like to see the current team approach the game with a similar mentality as the '86 guys - winning is all that matters, whoever is open automatically gets the ball and keep the ball moving. Currently, the ball stops in one guy's hands while the rest of the team watches much too often.
Maybe people think you're negative because your first instinct in this nostalgic thread is to have a crack at the current team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 04:55:07 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Maybe people think you're negative because your first instinct in this nostalgic thread is to have a crack at the current team

Yeah, probably.

So, why do you think so many people regard you as nothing but an annoying pest who trolls the board in search of someone to snipe at ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 05:11:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, probably.

So, why do you think so many people regard you as nothing but an annoying pest who trolls the board in search of someone to snipe at ?
I don't really care if they do. I'm not as concerned about the opinions of others as you seem to be :)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2023, 06:59:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The 1986 team was a great team for sure, with Bird and Walton you had two of the better passing bigs this side of Jokic.   McHale 's low post moves were also special.

I think Jokic is very close to Bird in terms of passing.