Guy Playing Football Guy
"And One" Guy
Playing Thru Injury Guy
Guy who can't make a move without traveling Guy
Guy who screams at shooters to distract them Guy
Guy who just can't keep the score right and is always arguing about it Guy
Sweaty Guy
Always Takes Charges Guy

Author Topic: Who are the Worst Pickup Basketball Guys or Ladies?  (Read 66043 times)

Re: Who are the Worst Pickup Basketball Guys or Ladies?
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2022, 05:54:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How about a moment of Honesty?

If someone was to describe you, what guy would you be?
When I exercise I am perhaps the sweatiest man of all time, so definitely sweaty guy.

Haven’t gotten up to any Rondo antics of rubbing my sweat on the ball during opposition free throws though… yet  ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2022, 07:00:54 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

When I exercise I am perhaps the sweatiest man of all time, so definitely sweaty guy.

Haven’t gotten up to any Rondo antics of rubbing my sweat on the ball during opposition free throws though… yet  ;D

LOL
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2022, 08:39:47 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
My least favorite of the past few years was a one and composite of several guys.

Waltham YMCA I'm waiting to get on court watching the current game and this big, older dude was splashing 3's all game, chirping trash talk, and in general looking very impressed with himself.

When It's my turn to play I am closest to his height so I D him up and he quickly realizes those wide open 3's he had last game aren't there any more.

I block his first 3 outright no contact as soon as it left his hand. Next time he goes to hoist one up there I am not giving him anything. He gives me a pump fake which I followed keeping my balance and never losing my position and he just sneers at me and says 'maaan thats stupid' and passes it off. I just smirk at him.

Later in the game after he laid several more bricks we both go for a rebound hip to hip. I come away with the ball and he lands, then falls, and clutches his knee saying that I tripped him on the way down. I looked at him and said that I went strait up for the ball, I stayed in my space, and if anything any contact was initiated by him. He keeps playing up the injury and blaming me for tripping him and that it was a loose ball foul.

Fine, I'm kind of new on these courts and am not trying to get in an argument the guy at the Y. I just move on and he grabs the ball to check it up. Suddenly though, in comes my teammate who tells the guy it's our ball. The guy says I fouled him but my teammate was having none of it and says I went strait up for the rebound. We get the ball back and go on to win the game.

-----
Long winded story aside, feel free to trash talk my ability or my defensive approach to the game all you like but falsely accusing me of playing dirty or reckless is an attack on my character and that is not something that I can abide.

I miss playing pickup ball… Lived in the North Shore for years and used to play at the Swampscott/Marblehead YMCA. Some decent players, but I bet the competition in Waltham is much better.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2022, 09:12:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Guy who thinks they are better than anyone else on team  ;D

Like bruh chill you in a street pickup game, if you so good go play in the recs or leagues lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2022, 09:18:58 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
There's also the "no blood no foul" folks but that's fair. Pickup game, pick up rules. I also play at a park where we use "double-lines" as an unwritten rule, so if the ball goes outta bounds it gotta cross the two lines, where the second line starts on the adjacent court while the first line ends the current court lol. And every 3-pointer is a 2-pointer. And the infamous "ad/deuce" rule where we needa win by 2 points after reaching the designated point, we play the ad-tennis rule ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2022, 12:00:19 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

The instigator… I was quicker than most of the people I played against and could drive them mad with defense. Remember playing at the Y one night after work some years ago. They had casual pickup leagues with a ref and the teams were mostly guys, but a few females played as well. There was this one middle aged guy that took it way too seriously, trying to relive the glory days or whatever. super aggressive, was stealing the ball away from the girls and just playing way too hard for what it was.

I got annoyed and decided to guard him every time he had the ball. He would try to dribble past me and I’d repeatedly poke the ball away, forcing him to pass. Then when he tried to drive to the basket I would get in front each time to draw the offensive foul. Made it my mission to keep him from scoring another basket and being half his age and in shape(at the time..), it wasn’t too difficult. Needless to say, it irritated the hell out of him and he ended up leaving after a while.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 10:15:03 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2022, 12:21:42 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

I’m the coach on the court which probably gets annoying. But overall I’m fun to play with because I’m big on team basketball and I love to win more than anything else
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2022, 06:30:24 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Thought of a new "guy" I hate.....Short story long:

My 14 year old freshman son is trying out for JV Bball and its very competative at his school. We've been practicing quite a bit, I feed him shots, do dribbling drills and a bunch of other fundamental stuff to prep him for tryouts next week. We started going to the gym at local liberal arts college. Some college kids needed an xtra body for a pickup game and they invited him. He's clearly weaker than those kids but was holding his own. They've been super nice and exchanged snapchat info to let him know when they are playing, and give him all sorts of pointers. Today we went and worked out together and the college kids showed up to play. Inspired by this thread, I inserted myself into a game of 3v3, before I left my son to play with these kids. I matched up w the tallest kid, about my size but nearly 30yrs younger. He had no left so I over guarded him to the right but I hadn't played against anyone other than my son since before Covid my timing was off and he was sooooo much quicker than me, he could still get past me to the hoop. He scored on me a couple times. But I got them all back plus some because he was such a lazy defender. I got him several times on cuts, got around him off picks and dropped dimes to cutters when he switched off me.

So guy I absolutely hate to have on my team is "talented net negative guy bc his Defense is so lazy". I mean, it was fun to be able to take advantage of him because he wasn't on my team but.... still hate that guy.

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2022, 10:38:33 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
The guy who doesn't understand the right way to play within a team, but thinks he's doing just fine.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2022, 05:36:19 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Never passes guy, a ball hog is the worst!! Had a guy I played with one time and never pass, so I block him and he was on my team..sad part he didn’t even notice lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2022, 06:07:17 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The player/ coach wanna be guy who talks TOO much on defense and offense and telling everybody else what to and where to be and he’s terrible at it.

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2022, 08:21:06 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The Always Fouls guy. It is so annoying. Every. [dang]. Play.