Author Topic: Bezos (with Jay-Z in his group) is talking about buying the Commanders  (Read 4812 times)

Re: Bezos (with Jay-Z in his group) is talking about buying the Commanders
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2022, 10:28:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I wonder how much money the team lost in value, when they changed the name from Redskins to Commanders.

It hasn't.  The opposite has actually happened.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/194517/franchise-value-of-the-washington-redskins-since-2006/

The team increased in value simply because it's an NFL team. If they're potentially worth 5.6B, what would they be worth if they were still the Redskins? I may be wrong, but I wonder if the team lacks name recognition now. For instance, off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you the team name for the Cleveland MLB team. When I see the Commanders name pop up on the NFL scores scroll, I have to try to remember who they are.
The value jumped 1.4 billion when they changed the name, I think that tells you the name was holding the value down, not the other way.

It was definitely a very big jump.  I wonder to what extent, if any, of that was due to simply selling a lot of merchandise due to the rebranding, rather than because the name had held the value down.  In other words, if the Panthers changed their name, would they see a similar jump (proportionate to their fan base) just because people wanted the new merch?

If Bezos / Jay Z want to make even more money, they should apply to change the name again, to something that incorporates "red" into the name.  "Red Hogs" or "Red Tails" or anything of that nature.

Thinking the same.  Not a fan of Bezos but he is head and shoulders above Snyder.  I like the idea of changing the name and also would like to see them move back into DC.  I believe that land is currently available at the site of the old RFK stadium.
It is and the reason the Commanders aren't there is none of the DC politicians want to work with Snyder.  No one likes him.  The new ownership group will work out a deal with DC and almost certainly move in the RFK area. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Bezos (with Jay-Z in his group) is talking about buying the Commanders
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2022, 11:35:38 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I wonder how much money the team lost in value, when they changed the name from Redskins to Commanders.

In retrospect, it’s crazy that they kept that name for so long. Black skins and yellow skins would rightfully face backlash. It shows how beaten and voiceless Native Americans are.

That’s one way to look at it I guess.  Or that there’s a significant number of native Americans that supported the name, which made the whole topic murky to begin with, where as the other two examples you provided would clearly have no support.  Native Americans have definitely gotten a ton of mistreatment in this country for as long as anyone can remember but the ‘redskins’ name is a poor choice to show how ‘beaten down’ and ‘voiceless’ they are
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 12:07:31 PM by greg683x »
Greg