Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 109169 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #1455 on: April 29, 2023, 04:09:30 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Finally, a WR. 

« Reply #1456 on: April 29, 2023, 04:22:30 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
And a punter.

« Reply #1457 on: April 29, 2023, 04:43:02 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Pats first pick in the 4th round: Jake Andrews-C

Add K Chad Ryland and G Sidy Sow.

Glad to see a center and a guard selected though I haven’t the slightest idea whether either project to be starter quality.

Took a kicker with a pretty valuable pick. Don’t know anything about the guy but I imagine he must be pretty good. ???

Glad for any knowledgeable folks to assess the selections.

I love the Sow pick. He can play any of the three interior line positions and was one of the best run blockers in college last season. I do wonder if the Pats are planning to move Onwenu back to RT. Their picks of Andrews and Sow (along with the other FA additions) seem to indicate they either know they won't pay Onwenu after this season, or that they'll move Onwenu to RT and roll with Trent Brown, Onwenu and their other additions (Reiff, Anderson, McDermott, etc.) in a rotation at tackle.

David Andrews is 31 and getting older, plus he's dealt with some injuries. I think this new Andrews (Jake Andrews) might just be backup in 2023, but insurance for beyond that.

Yeah, I think you could be right on this.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1458 on: April 29, 2023, 06:36:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Boutte is a really good value pick in the 6th round. I remember at the start of this college season he was being thought of as a day 2 guy at worst. He didn't have a great year, but his RAC ability and knack for weaving through defences makes him a legit chance.

Demario Douglas is an explosive undersized WR. Screams K/PR guy with some ability to chip in on offence.

Love the pickup of Sow. I think he can slot in right away, hard to find many issues with his game. Big, athletic, and balanced. Hand work can probably do with some work.

Jake Andrews is a good IOL pickup, has a really strong understanding of how to use angles to his advantage. Not a great athlete, but his versatility to play G and C is intriguing.

Atonio Mafi is essentially a big rhino of an O-lineman. Hugely strong, but has little to no lateral mobility. Good lead blocker in the run game with his massive power though.

Baringer the punter is a good pick for the 6th. If he can rein in his power on finesse punts he will be good.

No thoughts on Speed or Bolden.

The kicker in the 4th round, Ryland, astounds me as a selection. Just do not see the need to trade up for that. Oh well
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1459 on: May 03, 2023, 10:45:21 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
In my mind, the biggest need or weakness was O-Line.  They signed two vet tackles and drafted 3 more O-linemen.  None of these 5 should be expected to be studs, but lots of added depth.

Trent Brown is back, not sure what to make of him.  Has been one of the best at times and other times not so much.  Hopefully with a better overall line and better coaching/scheming, it will raise all boats as they say.  The O-Line should be better, we'll see how much better.  A little bit better OL can make a QB look a whole lot better.

I checked and saw that Isaiah Wynn is still out there, he has not signed anywhere.  I wonder where he is going to end up and if coming back on a kind of make good type of short contract is something he would consider (or that the Patriots would offer).  Injuries and consistency are what is preventing teams from offering a long term contract.  If he hasn't gotten a desirable offer at this point, it seems like he isn't going to get one.  He is going to have to settle for a lesser contract from someone.  Seems the best environment for him will be to come back with the Patriots.

« Reply #1460 on: May 03, 2023, 04:58:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Malik Cunningham as an UDFA is interesting. His final season was a significant step backwards, but in 2021 he was super dynamic. Not a great arm, but slippery in the pocket and can pick up scrimmage yardage. I'd like to take a flyer on him as a backup.

Lumpkin is nothing really.

Jourdan Heilig is probably us hoping for another Schooler
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1461 on: June 20, 2023, 03:49:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
How likely is it that Jack Jones gets off with just community service and/or fines for this? Do you think the Pats cut him.

According to NFL.com, Jones faces two counts each of possession of a concealed weapon in a secure area of an airport; possession of ammunition without a firearm identification card; unlawful possession of a firearm; carrying a loaded firearm; and possession of a large-capacity feeding device.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 04:14:51 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1462 on: June 20, 2023, 11:00:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jones' defense:  institutional racism + he had no idea

https://www.yahoo.com/news/were-not-answering-lawyer-patriots-182314837.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1463 on: June 20, 2023, 11:22:49 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Did social media/the media conjure up this as well?  ???

Jones has had legal issues before: In 2018, he was arrested after breaking into a Panda Express in Santa Paula, Calif. He initially faced felony charges of commercial burglary and conspiracy to commit a crime, but the charges were reduced to misdemeanor commercial burglary after he pleaded guilty. He served 45 days of house arrest as part of his plea deal.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 11:50:00 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #1464 on: June 21, 2023, 01:34:39 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Did social media/the media conjure up this as well?  ???

Jones has had legal issues before: In 2018, he was arrested after breaking into a Panda Express in Santa Paula, Calif. He initially faced felony charges of commercial burglary and conspiracy to commit a crime, but the charges were reduced to misdemeanor commercial burglary after he pleaded guilty. He served 45 days of house arrest as part of his plea deal.

Jones is innocent till proven guilty and entitled to (and wealthy enough to have) a vigorous defense.  We have limited information on Jones - 4 or 5 disciplinary incidents since his freshman year in college countered by some solid corner play in the 2022 NFL season.  And now an arrest for what seems to be a flagrant violation.

Does being a young Black man with priors have influence on how Jones is adjudicated in the court of public opinion?  My guess is that with some folks it does.  And although the conclusions some draw about his character might be tainted by racial bias, that doesn’t make him innocent.  It’s a social reality that physical appearance, in the absence of knowledge of character, can influence what we think of someone. In this case there is clearly a history, but equally clear is that none of us really know much about him as a human being. Yet, my guess is that many people have already decided they know who he is. Hopefully the judicial system will judge fairly - hear mitigating factors if they exist - and judge based on the facts that are presented.