Author Topic: Is it just me, or is the quality of conversation around here at an all-time low?  (Read 37280 times)

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I agree Roy and I applaud to your initiative in raising awareness about the quality of posts we create.

I am no different from others, sometimes I take time and intellect to write a good post.
On other occasions, I have knee-jerk reaction and write something worthless, I act emotionally, or I am too hasty to post.

I also agree with @PhoSita that our team didn't exactly help us this year from flipping out and writing all kinds of stuff.

I think all of us should have one internal filter, that comes into place just before we press that post button and ask ourselves -
What is the purpose and value of this post that I am about to let go
?

Lets make it work Strong Celtics!

Love your humor!  Puhleease don't over police yourself!  TP! 

Bolded is excellent suggestion....for blog and in the life beyond! 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:43:36 PM by wiley »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I tend to write quick posts without much thought when I’m using my phone, although that is getting harder to do with the banners that kill the experience.

Also the disappoint with the team has caused my posts sometimes to be full of emotion but lacking in poise and thought.

But that’s what fans do. None of us would be here if we didn’t have a strong connection to the team.

I agree that the quality overall has diminished.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree Roy and I applaud to your initiative in raising awareness about the quality of posts we create.

I am no different from others, sometimes I take time and intellect to write a good post.
On other occasions, I have knee-jerk reaction and write something worthless, I act emotionally, or I am too hasty to post.

I also agree with @PhoSita that our team didn't exactly help us this year from flipping out and writing all kinds of stuff.

I think all of us should have one internal filter, that comes into place just before we press that post button and ask ourselves -
What is the purpose and value of this post that I am about to let go
?

Lets make it work Strong Celtics!

Love your humor!  Puhleease don't over police yourself!  TP! 

Bolded is excellent suggestion....for blog and in the life beyond!

It reminds me of fairweatherfan's profile quote - "Be the posts you wish to see in the world." It pretty much says it all and he is somebody who truly does follow his own advice.

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
On the plus side, I heard Glenn Ordway reference our sister site CelticsBlog on WEEI the other day. I've heard it mentioned a couple times on various shows now.

So we must be doing something right...

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Blow it up. Trade everyone for draft picks.

The SoSH boards are the only other forums I've seen that have a comparable feel to Celticsblog at its best. They seem to have a strong culture of self-policing that I am not sure we want on these forums.

I feel like the only real solutions are:
1. Ignore button
2. Lead by example and hope posters see the quality of post(s) most desire.
3. Find a way to call-out bad posts in a non-confrontational way.

Or we can tank, I guess. 14% chance it works.

I'm a member of another board (not sports related) where they have an ignore button and I think it'd be a fantastic option, but there's resistance to it here that I don't quite understand.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Something I think needs to be addressed about poor posting is opening up new threads when a thread on the subject already exists.

We had 4 separate threads on Anthony Davis trades in the Latest Discussions area the other day, when we already had a pretty prominent Anthony Davis trade thread that was over 100 pages.

In less than a week I have merged over 30 threads into threads that already existed.

Come on people! You have to do better than that.

My main problem is the general lack of knowledge on the CBA and how it effects trades and free agency as well as the general lack of desire by some to actually learn it. Many of those that don't want to learn it are the people who make the most trade proposals and are consistently not seeing if they are legal or logical, needing others to point it out.

Come on again people. If you are making a bunch of trade proposals and are constantly being corrected about your trades, go read up on the CBA at:

cbafaq.com

Or go to this stickied thread and ask questions. They will be answered

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=99978.0

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
On the plus side, I heard Glenn Ordway reference our sister site CelticsBlog on WEEI the other day. I've heard it mentioned a couple times on various shows now.

So we must be doing something right...

Actually, I think no longer being part of CelticsBlog is part of the problem. Tho, I mostly just lurked in the forums, having news type articles to read was informative and educational. Without that I think people tend toward the shouting of opinions with no real direction or information to formulate or back ip their opinions. Jeff created a calm over the site that is hard to duplicate, especially in the current format.

Btw, I am not advocating a return and I love this blog and learning from its masses. Just stating an observation.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Honestly I don't see a whole lot of difference.  There are ebbs and flows of course, but there have been times on the forums that have been far worse then now.  For example, it was really bad right before the Allen/KG trades, much worse than now.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I think people who are making trade proposal should run it through The Trade machine first:  http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

It would save everybody a lot of time and energy.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I feel like it’s nearly impossible to have a solid basketball conversation around here lately. The BBIQ, level of observation, and ability to communicate all seem to be at a middle school level. 

I honestly feel dumber for reading about 40% of the posts on here.  I don’t know what it is, but I wish people would try harder.  Hot takes + sheer stupidity = a pretty unreadable mess.

Dang roy

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I feel like it’s nearly impossible to have a solid basketball conversation around here lately. The BBIQ, level of observation, and ability to communicate all seem to be at a middle school level. 

I honestly feel dumber for reading about 40% of the posts on here.  I don’t know what it is, but I wish people would try harder.  Hot takes + sheer stupidity = a pretty unreadable mess.
i agree. i come here less often since there are fewer reasons to be here. so many posters simply blurt out some sort of opinion or thought or whatever without research or careful thought. there are still good post, but they are fewer and farther between.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
The thing that drives me crazy is when posters with no medical background are know-it-alls concerning broken legs, blood clots, and other assorted health issues.

Glad I'm not sick.

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Honestly I don't see a whole lot of difference.  There are ebbs and flows of course, but there have been times on the forums that have been far worse then now.  For example, it was really bad right before the Allen/KG trades, much worse than now.   

I agree.  So, I've been on board for more than 12 years, don't post much and lost all my tommy points on a bet that I can't remember.  With the team not playing up to expectations, and the uncertainty of Kyrie and Davis, it's easy to see why we are on the down side of this cycle. I expect, as when KG and Allen joined the team, we will all feel better about what is being posted and move back to the up side of the cycle.  I don't like the political stuff on this site and don't read much of it.  I do like talking about the Red Sox and pop culture. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Oh please.

People around here have always believed what they wanted to believe. The "quality of a post" has never changed anyone's opinion around here. It has always been less of a discussion, and more of an exchange of personal opinions.

Why engage in "valuable discussion" if youre not going to change anyone's mind, anyway? Why write a well researched and formulated 2,000 word essay if the first reply is some meme gif getting 20 TPs?

This, of course, is part of a broader issue where we all stopped accepting facts as facts and simply started to pick and choose the arguments that support our already held beliefs, a behaviour you can see in basically every political thread in the Current Events sub-forum.

Tommy Points have always been group think points and not a reward for effort, and in the same vein, what you consider the "quality of posts" has always been an exercise in using many words to tell you what you want to hear. This forum, like pretty much every forum on the planet, has always been full of low effort posts.

If you think this used to be different, it only means that people have stopped telling you what you want to hear. I think people are using this forum as their personal Celtics safe space, and now that there's overwhelming, inescapable evidence that the Celtics are not who you thought they were, these low effort posts telling you that you're wrong simply stick out more to you.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I know over the years, I have less and less time to post.   I am sure this is the case with a lot of the other long term posters.   

Also, there has been a drop in those other events that brought posters back.  From Friday's trivia or the three stars after each game, there is less creativity in starting new things.  (In  both these examples, the poster who started these eventually became staff members.)

Finally, the increasing amount of political talk as the two sides get more divisive (not an invitation to discuss anyone politics here) drove away those looking for a break from that.