Author Topic: Let the LesterFest begin!  (Read 13855 times)

Re: Let the LesterFest begin!
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
He's young, and he plays young.  Lots of fouls, lots of turnovers, lots of highlights.  Once he matures and learns how to play, we'll find out what we have in him.  The intelligence and the intensity give us a fair bit of hope, I think.

Also, it's worth noting that he hasn't had an offseason to work on his game since he's been here.  He was hurt - both summers. 
OH MY GOD!!! It's the Tony Allen defense!!!   :D

Ha!  TP for you!

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 09:33:50 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Another good night for Lester: 

6-14, 3-5, and 2-2 for 17 points scored.
9 rebounds but only 3 assists tonight.  Didn't see the game however. 
He's 7-14 for 3's and 7-8 from the line in two games.
Oh, and the Claws won every quarter and going away tonight.

Can anyone who watched add  further comment?

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 09:34:25 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I understand the love of one of our own but "Billy is freaking awesome ... I will be shocked if he does not become a star in the NBA"?

I don't know Bahku. He hasn't shown me anything against NBA talent except for the knack to mistime jumps trying to perform a spectacular put back slam. I sure hope by shocked you mean surprised and not like having hundreds of volts of electricity being run through you. I would much rather you be surprised WHEN Walker not only doesn't become a star but is out of the league shortly rather than being tazered. I hear being shocked that way really hurts.  ;) ;D

Uh-huh. The kid is amazingly talented, and he's done much more than "mis-time his jumps" ... it's my opinion that he'll make it in the NBA, but time will tell. I think you knew what I meant by "shocked", but it was a great attempt at deflating the statement. Keep up the good work. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
He's young, and he plays young.  Lots of fouls, lots of turnovers, lots of highlights.  Once he matures and learns how to play, we'll find out what we have in him.  The intelligence and the intensity give us a fair bit of hope, I think.

Also, it's worth noting that he hasn't had an offseason to work on his game since he's been here.  He was hurt - both summers. 
OH MY GOD!!! It's the Tony Allen defense!!!   :D

Kinda.  But players make great strides in their games over the offseason, and Bill hasn't had that opportunity.  I'm not saying that he hasn't had a chance to 'find his rhythm', or that he gets hurt whenever he does.  It is what it is - he's been injury-prone to this point in his career, and it's sabotaging his ability to work on his game.

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 08:59:44 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
At least we have a real Celtics game tonight to tide us over till tomorrow's grand LesterFest finale.

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 11:03:42 AM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
Lobster Hudson

dont know if it is possible to be more more eloquent than this. 

tp and well deserved for lester's new nickname.

TY, it seems like a natural nickname for him, isn't it?  I could see how it might fit because he does have long arms, and it would be especially good if he gets a reputation for grabbing a lot of steals.  TP to Redz for giving me the idea by saying "Lester and Lobster, match made in heaven"
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Lobster Hudson

dont know if it is possible to be more more eloquent than this. 

tp and well deserved for lester's new nickname.

TY, it seems like a natural nickname for him, isn't it?  I could see how it might fit because he does have long arms, and it would be especially good if he gets a reputation for grabbing a lot of steals.  TP to Redz for giving me the idea by saying "Lester and Lobster, match made in heaven"

:)  Thanks for the partial credit.  I was so close! (story of my life)
Yup

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 11:16:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I understand the love of one of our own but "Billy is freaking awesome ... I will be shocked if he does not become a star in the NBA"?

I don't know Bahku. He hasn't shown me anything against NBA talent except for the knack to mistime jumps trying to perform a spectacular put back slam. I sure hope by shocked you mean surprised and not like having hundreds of volts of electricity being run through you. I would much rather you be surprised WHEN Walker not only doesn't become a star but is out of the league shortly rather than being tazered. I hear being shocked that way really hurts.  ;) ;D

Uh-huh. The kid is amazingly talented, and he's done much more than "mis-time his jumps" ... it's my opinion that he'll make it in the NBA, but time will tell. I think you knew what I meant by "shocked", but it was a great attempt at deflating the statement. Keep up the good work. ;)

I am a big Walker fan as well, but I am really starting to wonder if he ever will make it in the league, let alone be a productive player.  The first concern is his injury history.  At some point, you need to look at a player and just realize that they are injury prone.  Walker may not be quite there yet...but he is very close.

The bigger issue however are his skills.  While he is a tremendous athlete, a very hard worker, and seems to have a decent BBIQ, his skills are very underdeveloped for a perimeter player.  Before he is anything more than a bit roleplayer, he is going to need to really improve his shooting, and more importantly his ball handling.  It is very rare that players of his age (even though he is still young) that are as raw as he is, ever become real stars.  I hope I am wrong, but right now, there is a lot stacked up against him ever being much more than a human highlight film, and a borderline rotation guy.

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
When is he matched up against Gabe Pruitt? Now that's must see TV.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I am a big Walker fan as well, but I am really starting to wonder if he ever will make it in the league, let alone be a productive player.  The first concern is his injury history.  At some point, you need to look at a player and just realize that they are injury prone.  Walker may not be quite there yet...but he is very close.

The bigger issue however are his skills.  While he is a tremendous athlete, a very hard worker, and seems to have a decent BBIQ, his skills are very underdeveloped for a perimeter player.  Before he is anything more than a bit roleplayer, he is going to need to really improve his shooting, and more importantly his ball handling.  It is very rare that players of his age (even though he is still young) that are as raw as he is, ever become real stars.  I hope I am wrong, but right now, there is a lot stacked up against him ever being much more than a human highlight film, and a borderline rotation guy.

Very true. But we'll never really know until he gets meaningful minutes in an NBA game, will we? Like, 7 minutes in the first half AND 7 minutes in the second half for 4,5 games straight. At some point, Doc will give him that -- I hope. Why not? TA's too good?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2009, 12:20:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Very true. But we'll never really know until he gets meaningful minutes in an NBA game, will we? Like, 7 minutes in the first half AND 7 minutes in the second half for 4,5 games straight. At some point, Doc will give him that -- I hope. Why not? TA's too good?

I don't understand the need for having to stick him in an NBA game over an extended period for a coach the caliber of Doc Rivers to be able to get a good handle on whether a player will be able to make it as a pro player. I think Doc, Danny and 99% of most pro coaches, GMs, and talent evaluators can make a a proper evaluation on a player without HAVING to give him playing time to prove their decision.

Honestly, Walker and Giddens may never see regular time here. They may be gone at the end of the season never to return and it will be up to them to prove to another talent evaluator, coach or GM that they are good and smart and talented enough to still play in this league.

They both might be able to play in this league but given the talent in front of them here, Boston might not be that place.

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 12:56:52 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I also like how people only keep saying "Doc doesn't play rookies" as if he's the only one evaluating the young players on the team. I won't pretend I know more than anyone else, but that's a pretty tough pill to swallow.

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2009, 06:31:43 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
If I were Austin Ainge, I'd ask dad to call up Lester. The Red Claws are a worse team with him, Blalock does a better job running that team.

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
If I were Austin Ainge, I'd ask dad to call up Lester. The Red Claws are a worse team with him, Blalock does a better job running that team.

I did notice Hudson said after that third game that he had to work on his running the offense and on his defense, so maybe that last stinker game kept him humble.   But I'm sure Lester didn't mind saying goodbye to Austin A. either.