Author Topic: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry  (Read 13933 times)

Re: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2018, 11:24:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I'm feeling ballsy today, so I'm calling Celtics in Six games. Prior to the series starting it was Celtics in seven.
As long as Rozier, Tatum and Horford continue to combine for 80+ points per night, the team continues to shoot nearly 50% from three, and Philly continues to shoot 10% from three, I like Boston's chances of keeping this series competitive.

Don’t worry. Your team will start to play better.
more than likely, Philly will still cook us.  Talent is talent.  Let's not forget that LeBron lost game 1 at home vs the Pacers by 18 and still won the series and is up 1-0 in Round 2.  Hard to keep guys that talented down.  Rozier, Tatum and Horford combined for more points in Game 1 than KG, Pierce and Ray ever did.  That's pretty remarkable, but more than likely not sustainable.

LarBrd33 having a really bad comeback. Poor guy, clearly things are going like he thought they would. Came here to gloat, but looking like a goat.

« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2018, 11:37:28 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

I'm feeling ballsy today, so I'm calling Celtics in Six games. Prior to the series starting it was Celtics in seven.
As long as Rozier, Tatum and Horford continue to combine for 80+ points per night, the team continues to shoot nearly 50% from three, and Philly continues to shoot 10% from three, I like Boston's chances of keeping this series competitive.

more than likely, Philly will still cook us.  Talent is talent.  Let's not forget that LeBron lost game 1 at home vs the Pacers by 18 and still won the series and is up 1-0 in Round 2.  Hard to keep guys that talented down.  Rozier, Tatum and Horford combined for more points in Game 1 than KG, Pierce and Ray ever did.  That's pretty remarkable, but more than likely not sustainable.
Except the only talent that didn't really play as usual was Simmons. And even that isn't really true, as he played as well against us as he has all season - which is to say, poorly.

Covington has been trash all playoffs, nothing new there. Belinelli returned to earth. Doubt we're in trouble

Yeah I think Convington got very overhyped on this forum. One person called him Rudy gobert on the wing. Between that and the reddick is a very good defensive player posts two days ago it is tough to take this board seriously on philly

I don’t really blame people. It’s been the narrative on sports shows all season. People just regurgitate what they’re told. The Sixers top to bottom are overrated.

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2018, 11:42:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Your guys almost pulled it out LB. Home cooking should help them the next two games.

« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2018, 12:33:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I wonder if this is a career defining moment for Simmons. Like when people realize a baseball player can't hit a curve.

« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2018, 01:16:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I wonder if this is a career defining moment for Simmons. Like when people realize a baseball player can't hit a curve.

If he's been in denial about having to learn how to shoot maybe this changes his mind? But I doubt it. I'd bet he knows he has to learn how to shoot it's just that he's a rookie, doing a ton of things at a very high level. He's not going to be good at everything.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't go on to a great career and I'd bet we've witnessed his worst game of the series last night.

Gird your loins.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2018, 01:47:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

If he's been in denial about having to learn how to shoot maybe this changes his mind? But I doubt it. I'd bet he knows he has to learn how to shoot it's just that he's a rookie, doing a ton of things at a very high level. He's not going to be good at everything.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't go on to a great career and I'd bet we've witnessed his worst game of the series last night.

Gird your loins.

I guess I am a bit surprised that he didn't make at least some improvement last year with at least half the year off and able to shoot. That would have been a great practice time. It seems insane to me that with that time off people still dont know what hand he should shoot with.

« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2018, 01:49:18 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Just because Philly finally made the playoffs again, does not mean that a rivalry is back. The Celtics are missing their two best players and are still up 2-0 in this series. I think the Bucks were easily a more talented (and better) team than the 76ers.

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Just because Philly finally made the playoffs again, does not mean that a rivalry is back. The Celtics are missing their two best players and are still up 2-0 in this series. I think the Bucks were easily a more talented (and better) team than the 76ers.

I don't think Milwaukee is more talented, but the playoffs are different, and the format favors players that can impose their will on a game. Philly has better role players, but Giannis and Middleton were impressively tough under pressure, while Embiid and Simmons aren't ready to consistently do that.

This should become an epic rivalry. The 76ers are good now. They've got a #1 pick sitting on the bench that still might become a great player, and they might be able to sign a top free agent this summer.

The good news for us is that our young core is fearless, while their young core seems very fragile.

« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2018, 02:41:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
There have been questions about Simmons mental makeup going back to college. Perhaps between him and Fultz they will be the next generation of raptors.

« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2018, 05:02:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
There have been questions about Simmons mental makeup going back to college. Perhaps between him and Fultz they will be the next generation of raptors.

That would be ideal. They have all this talent, look great, go to all star games, win lots of regular season games, and get beat by the Celtics in the playoffs every year.

;D
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

That would be ideal. They have all this talent, look great, go to all star games, win lots of regular season games, and get beat by the Celtics in the playoffs every year.

;D

Lots of Great teams have been kept down by the Celtics.

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Just have to pray PHI doesn't add Lebron, OR acquire BOTH George + Leonard.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2018, 05:50:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Don't really have to pray. It is incredibly unlikely.

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Don't really have to pray. It is incredibly unlikely.

Unfortunately it means it is likely two of the three go to Lakers. Though I still don't think that's good enough to dethrone the Warriors and Rockets in the West.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2018, 01:33:40 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

LarBrd33 having a really bad comeback. Poor guy, clearly things are going like he thought they would. Came here to gloat, but looking like a goat.
If Boston improbably wins this series, it'll have been worth it.  Philly still has 4 more games to prove the experts right and win in 6.

Personally, I'm thrilled Boston won the home games.  It would have sucked to just get swept.  Making this series interesting will go a long way towards jumpstarting this rivalry for real. 

No matter what happens (and ignoring the flukey year they won 35 games and upset a Rose-less Bulls team in Round 1), this is by default Philly's best season since 2000-01.   Way ahead of schedule.  It's already been proven a wild success.   

Here's hoping Boston can keep defying the odds and winning.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 01:39:30 AM by LarBrd33 »