Author Topic: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry  (Read 14214 times)

Re: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2018, 02:14:09 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I'm feeling ballsy today, so I'm calling Celtics in Six games. Prior to the series starting it was Celtics in seven.
As long as Rozier, Tatum and Horford continue to combine for 80+ points per night, the team continues to shoot nearly 50% from three, and Philly continues to shoot 10% from three, I like Boston's chances of keeping this series competitive.

Don’t worry. Your team will start to play better.
more than likely, Philly will still cook us.  Talent is talent.  Let's not forget that LeBron lost game 1 at home vs the Pacers by 18 and still won the series and is up 1-0 in Round 2.  Hard to keep guys that talented down.  Rozier, Tatum and Horford combined for more points in Game 1 than KG, Pierce and Ray ever did.  That's pretty remarkable, but more than likely not sustainable.

LarBrd33 having a really bad comeback. Poor guy, clearly things are going like he thought they would. Came here to gloat, but looking like a goat.
If Boston improbably wins this series, it'll have been worth it.  Philly still has 4 more games to prove the experts right and win in 6.

Personally, I'm thrilled Boston won the home games.  It would have sucked to just get swept.  Making this series interesting will go a long way towards jumpstarting this rivalry for real. 

No matter what happens (and ignoring the flukey year they won 35 games and upset a Rose-less Bulls team in Round 1), this is by default Philly's best season since 2000-01.   Way ahead of schedule.  It's already been proven a wild success.   

Here's hoping Boston can keep defying the odds and winning.

You were citing Vegas odds before, when Philly was favored. Celtics now favored in this series. Why no more citing of Vegas odds?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2018, 03:05:32 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I'm feeling ballsy today, so I'm calling Celtics in Six games. Prior to the series starting it was Celtics in seven.
As long as Rozier, Tatum and Horford continue to combine for 80+ points per night, the team continues to shoot nearly 50% from three, and Philly continues to shoot 10% from three, I like Boston's chances of keeping this series competitive.

more than likely, Philly will still cook us.  Talent is talent.  Let's not forget that LeBron lost game 1 at home vs the Pacers by 18 and still won the series and is up 1-0 in Round 2.  Hard to keep guys that talented down.  Rozier, Tatum and Horford combined for more points in Game 1 than KG, Pierce and Ray ever did.  That's pretty remarkable, but more than likely not sustainable.

LarBrd33 having a really bad comeback. Poor guy, clearly things are going like he thought they would. Came here to gloat, but looking like a goat.
If Boston improbably wins this series, it'll have been worth it.  Philly still has 4 more games to prove the experts right and win in 6.

Personally, I'm thrilled Boston won the home games.  It would have sucked to just get swept.  Making this series interesting will go a long way towards jumpstarting this rivalry for real. 

No matter what happens (and ignoring the flukey year they won 35 games and upset a Rose-less Bulls team in Round 1), this is by default Philly's best season since 2000-01.   Way ahead of schedule.  It's already been proven a wild success.   

You were citing Vegas odds before, when Philly was favored. Celtics now favored in this series. Why no more citing of Vegas odds?
I haven’t looked since before the series started.   Is Boston now favored?  That’s amazing. Hopefully we don’t cave under the pressure of heightened expectations and choke. 

We still haven’t won a road game in these playoffs.  I’ll be nervous if Philly gets these next two. 

« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2018, 04:41:18 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I haven’t looked since before the series started.   Is Boston now favored?  That’s amazing. Hopefully we don’t cave under the pressure of heightened expectations and choke. 

We still haven’t won a road game in these playoffs.  I’ll be nervous if Philly gets these next two.

I expect Philly to win the next 2. They are a dominant homecourt team. But then the Celtics should take game 5, as it’s unlikely they lose at home for the 3rd game in a row.

Philly +105
Boston -125

Philly is still overrated with Boston paying out a whopping 80 cents on the dollar up 2-0 with home court.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2018, 06:43:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Right now until they win a game there is no rivalry.  I fully expect them to win some games until then there is no rivalry.   I think if we win the next game they will break and we will sweep them, I think that winning game three will be very hard, though.

« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2018, 07:18:31 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Man, it's just like old times with Eddie calling out LB. I am happy to have you back, LB - even if for just a short time...but hope you will stick around. You make things a lot more interesting around here!

Anyway, let's hope the Cs can keep rolling. I want this to be the same type of rivalry that Washington thinks they have with us (and we think we have with Lebron)...very one-sided - for years to come.

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2018, 07:44:23 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Philly is just an overall unathletic team that struggles badly in preventing dribble penetration. Think about the lack of athleticism of some of their rotation guys - Saric, Redick, Ilyasova, Marco, McConnell, and Amir. Then you have Simmons, who is obviously athletic, but he's trying to cover Rozier and he simply can't stay in front of him.

I wouldn't classify Philly's year as a rousing success. It's been pretty fiukey to be quite honest. They lad a long winning streak towards the end of the year, but that was masked by it being against a host of taking teams. Then they were fortunate by playing Miami, the worst playoff team this year, who struggles to defend the 3 and had one of their top players mentally check out towards the latter part of the year.

The TJ McConnell phenomenon - isn't it hilarious that Brown has such little confidence in Simmons and Fultz that he was favoring this Rudy clone over the last 2 #1 overall picks?

Side note:
Simmons vs Fultz in a 3pt shootout would be must see TV.

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2018, 08:10:33 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Process - meet PROGRESS.

Keep the pressure ON, BOSTON - go in there and take game 3 from them.

Don't ask - just TAKE IT.

Impose your WILL - like the Boston Teams of old.

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sixers tankers are in Shambles

Down with Hinkie Youth

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2018, 10:01:16 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Here's something to cheer you up. 7 reasons the Sixers will come back to beat the Celtics.

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/05/trust_the_process_7_reasons_sixers_will_come_back.html

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I picked Celtics in 7 at start of series and continue to feel it will be a long series. Wish we’d keep Jaylen out next two games to heal more. Both for balance of this series and, if we’re sble to advance, vs Cavs.

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
I sincerely want to see the 6ers rebuild fail. I hate that team and it's lousy fan base. I hope they are the Hawks of the last 10 years at best.

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I expect Philly to win the next 2. They are a dominant homecourt team. But then the Celtics should take game 5, as it’s unlikely they lose at home for the 3rd game in a row.

Philly +105
Boston -125

Philly is still overrated with Boston paying out a whopping 80 cents on the dollar up 2-0 with home court.
I actually don't think Philly as a team is overrated.  The talent is there.  The story is more that this Boston squad sans Hayward and Kyrie is underrated.  I was predicting Rozier's break-out season well before it became trendy, but even the most optimistic of Rozier fans couldn't have possibly expected the guy to average 19 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds, 1.2 steals with 44%/44%/82% shooting in the playoffs.  That's unreal. 

Boston also won the regular season match-up with Philly.  Went 3-1.  But the three wins came with a healthy Kyrie Irving and it was before things started clicking for Philly.

That's still a supremely talented squad.  Boston's defense has gotten to them in a big way.  Simmons hasn't been good at all.  Their team seems to be caving under the pressure and look a little shook. 

But the story here isn't Philly sucking - it's that Boston is playing like a contender in spite of the injuries. 

Horford has been amazing.  18.4 points, 9 rebounds, 3.6 assists, with 61%/43%/80% shooting.   Tatum has 4-straight 20+ games.  And then Rozier - my god... if this kid is really this good, it's going to make for a fascinating offseason. 

Years ago I compared Rozier to Devin Booker (taken a few picks earlier) questioning what might have happened if roles were reversed.  Booker probably would have been buried behind multiple guards on our team.  Rozier probably would have had an opportunity to play through mistakes on the Suns:

On a lesser team with less depth they might have seen minutes sooner.   There was a thread here recently about Devin Booker.  Booker was taken just a few picks ahead of Rozier.  The 19 year old averaged 20 points after the all-star break.   It's possible he would have worked his way up the depth chart on Boston, but it's also possible he would have spent most of his time in D-League and never got a real opportunity.  Booker played on a bottom 4 team and spent the first half of the season playing in 48 games and averaging 23 minutes.   Rozier, on the other hand, appeared in only 18 games over the first half of the season and averaged less than 6 minutes per game during that time.  Not really enough time to show anything.  Would Rozier have found a statistical groove with bulk minutes on the Suns?  Would we be seeing our first signs of Booker's talent in the playoffs had he ended up on Boston?   There's maybe a little of that.

All we can really do is compare their summer league stats (since Booker never played in D-League this year)

Rozier - 12.2 points, 3 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 1.25 steals with 35%/40%/83%
Booker - 15.2 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 0.7 steals, 40%/40%/88%

Sure, Booker was probably a little better - hence why he was taken 3 spots higher - but who knows what kind of production they'd have if roles were reversed.

These playoffs have been really interesting.  Clearly Booker is still the better prospect of the two, but we're starting to see what kind of stuff Rozier can do with the minutes, opportunity, and the building confidence.  If this level of play is legit - wow... 

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2018, 04:51:24 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Process - meet PROGRESS.

Keep the pressure ON, BOSTON - go in there and take game 3 from them.

Don't ask - just TAKE IT.

Impose your WILL - like the Boston Teams of old.

I'm going to buy that shirt.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2018, 04:59:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Philly +105
Boston -125

I actually don't think Philly as a team is overrated.  The talent is there.  The story is more that this Boston squad sans Hayward and Kyrie is underrated.  I was predicting Rozier's break-out season well before it became trendy, but even the most optimistic of Rozier fans couldn't have possibly expected the guy to average 19 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds, 1.2 steals with 44%/44%/82% shooting in the playoffs.  That's unreal. 

Boston also won the regular season match-up with Philly.  Went 3-1.  But the three wins came with a healthy Kyrie Irving and it was before things started clicking for Philly.

That's still a supremely talented squad.  Boston's defense has gotten to them in a big way.  Simmons hasn't been good at all.  Their team seems to be caving under the pressure and look a little shook. 

But the story here isn't Philly sucking - it's that Boston is playing like a contender in spite of the injuries. 

Horford has been amazing.  18.4 points, 9 rebounds, 3.6 assists, with 61%/43%/80% shooting.   Tatum has 4-straight 20+ games.  And then Rozier - my god... if this kid is really this good, it's going to make for a fascinating offseason. 

Years ago I compared Rozier to Devin Booker (taken a few picks earlier) questioning what might have happened if roles were reversed.  Booker probably would have been buried behind multiple guards on our team.  Rozier probably would have had an opportunity to play through mistakes on the Suns:

On a lesser team with less depth they might have seen minutes sooner.   There was a thread here recently about Devin Booker.  Booker was taken just a few picks ahead of Rozier.  The 19 year old averaged 20 points after the all-star break.   It's possible he would have worked his way up the depth chart on Boston, but it's also possible he would have spent most of his time in D-League and never got a real opportunity.  Booker played on a bottom 4 team and spent the first half of the season playing in 48 games and averaging 23 minutes.   Rozier, on the other hand, appeared in only 18 games over the first half of the season and averaged less than 6 minutes per game during that time.  Not really enough time to show anything.  Would Rozier have found a statistical groove with bulk minutes on the Suns?  Would we be seeing our first signs of Booker's talent in the playoffs had he ended up on Boston?   There's maybe a little of that.

All we can really do is compare their summer league stats (since Booker never played in D-League this year)

Rozier - 12.2 points, 3 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 1.25 steals with 35%/40%/83%
Booker - 15.2 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 0.7 steals, 40%/40%/88%

Sure, Booker was probably a little better - hence why he was taken 3 spots higher - but who knows what kind of production they'd have if roles were reversed.

These playoffs have been really interesting.  Clearly Booker is still the better prospect of the two, but we're starting to see what kind of stuff Rozier can do with the minutes, opportunity, and the building confidence.  If this level of play is legit - wow...

Really, LB? Now you're trying to play it off as you've been a catalyst of the Rozier fan club? Was that before or after you mockingly referred to him as Hozier and compared  him to Little Phil Pressey? Let's not be hypocritical now.

Exhibit A
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=79399.60

So we swap pressey for hozier.  We swap bass for Amir.  And that's about it.

Should be in the lotto next year.  I know we overachieved last year, but we were bottom 9 with 11 games left.  I can't see it happening again. 

Bummer of an offseason.

« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Really, LB? Now you're trying to play it off as you've been a catalyst of the Rozier fan club? Was that before or after you mockingly referred to him as Hozier and compared  him to Little Phil Pressey? Let's not be hypocritical now.

Exhibit A
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=79399.60

So we swap pressey for hozier.  We swap bass for Amir.  And that's about it.

Should be in the lotto next year.  I know we overachieved last year, but we were bottom 9 with 11 games left.  I can't see it happening again. 

Bummer of an offseason.

I don't necessarily want in on this argument but are you seriously bringing up something he posted 3 years ago when Rozier hadn't even played in the NBA yet? Come on, dude.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008