Author Topic: ShamWow: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap (UPDATE: Deal Done Did)  (Read 47815 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

Jeff Goodman on ESPN saying the holdup was not players but the pick. Cavs wanted Nets pick, Lakers pick or Tatum. Danny gave them the BKN of the other 2 options.

That makes no sense to me.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The only way I consider this deal if I'm Ainge is if multiple top notch doctors told me "I have significant doubts IT will ever be 90% of what he was"

And if that's the case you wouldn't have had to give him a ton of money and they could have known this a while ago, but considering the hip didn't require surgery I don't believe this happened

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
We complain about the Brooklyn pick now but there's a pretty decent chance that the Lakers pick could land higher than the Brooklyn pick.
How do you figure?  The Lakers look significantly better than the Nets to me.

they do?  Lakers are a team full of youngsters.... except Lopez who lives on the injury reserve list

Nets added Crabbe,  Mozgov,  Russell, Carroll......... nothing amazing... but solid vets. 

Nets > Laker next season
Lopez played 70+ games in 4 of the last 5 seasons.  Mozgov is a big downgrade.  Crabbe doesn't bring anything but 3pt shooting.  Russell was one of those youngsters on the Lakers.  Carroll is 31 and on the downswing.  The main reason the Nets may finish better than the Lakers is the East being much weaker than the West. 

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Kyrie is now our PG leader with multiple NBA finals appearances under his belt.  We lost this trade from an asset standpoint but we could afford to do so.  What this does is put us over the hump and gives our young players a rock solid core to grow around.  Lost the battle to give us a chance to win the war.

If Kyrie had led his team to the Finals, maybe I'd agree.

But, Kyrie didn't lead that team. Before Lebron, he was leading his team deep into the lottery. I don't think he's the type of guy who carries a team.

I have to do this Roy...

The same can be said for Demarcus Cousins.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Ainge doesn't trade for an All Star: "Ainge over values his assets, he just wants to hoard picks and won't trade them for real players. Fire him!"

Ainge does trade for an All Star: "Ainge got fleeced, we should have kept our assets instead of trading them. Fire him!"
I'm bitter.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Jeff Goodman on ESPN saying the holdup was not players but the pick. Cavs wanted Nets pick, Lakers pick or Tatum. Danny gave them the BKN of the other 2 options.

Danny chose to convey an unprotected BRK pick rather than the protected LAL/SAC/PHI pick?

I'm skeptical.
Again, if ainge truly thinks the nets will finish in the 6 to 10 range and the lakers bottom five, then this makes sense.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

That makes no sense to me.

Yeah, and Goodman isn't exactly what I'd consider a great source for that sort of thing
I'm bitter.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Holy Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.!!!!

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kyrie is now our PG leader with multiple NBA finals appearances under his belt.  We lost this trade from an asset standpoint but we could afford to do so.  What this does is put us over the hump and gives our young players a rock solid core to grow around.  Lost the battle to give us a chance to win the war.

If Kyrie had led his team to the Finals, maybe I'd agree.

But, Kyrie didn't lead that team. Before Lebron, he was leading his team deep into the lottery. I don't think he's the type of guy who carries a team.

I have to do this Roy...

The same can be said for Demarcus Cousins.

I wouldn't trade IT, Crowder, Zizic and an unprotected #1 for DMC, either.

That's more than we paid for KG and Ray, combined.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Why keep the unprotected pick when you keep the heavily protected one?!

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
How many years are we stuck behind the Cavs now? The foreseeable future, right?

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In terms of the players included, seems like we're selling high on both Thomas and Crowder. But it's still a hefty price to pay for one player...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I feel guilty for liking this trade.

What IT did last season was special.

But taking in consideration age, contract, size and health, the trade makes a lot of sense.

The loss of Crowder I consider a plus. No knock on him but his loss will result in more minutes for Brown and Tatum. The more they play now the better they will be in 2018-19.

This is a trade the end of which is to create chemistry and experience next season and beat GSW the following season when Lebron is out of the way.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ainge doesn't trade for an All Star: "Ainge over values his assets, he just wants to hoard picks and won't trade them for real players. Fire him!"

Ainge does trade for an All Star: "Ainge got fleeced, we should have kept our assets instead of trading them. Fire him!"
I've never really bought into the DA overvaluing his assets, but there's no two ways about it, he got fleeced.

Kyrie is a marginal improvement over IT (when considering contract and age, it could be considered more than marginal).
Crowder is our second best wing behind Hayward.
The Brooklyn pick is a likely top 5 pick in a super stacked draft.
AND Zizic was a first round pick that we never gave a chance

Feel sick to my stomach.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Hard to think of a package for AD any longer that's for sure.

You have to think that New Orleans was adamant that AD was going nowhere for Danny to pull the trigger here. I can't imagine that he'd make this trade if there was any chance of getting AD either at the deadline or next summer with the Brooklyn pick and other assets.