Author Topic: ShamWow: Celtics + Cavs actively talking Kyrie/IT swap (UPDATE: Deal Done Did)  (Read 47785 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Very unimpressed.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
The other thing that kind of sticks out, is the low trade value IT had.  I mean he was an all-star, 2nd in scoring, and we had to add Crowder and a high level lottery pick to make it happen.  Makes me think that IT won't be in Clev after this year.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think people need to realize is we can't be a team full of lottery picks. It sounds like a good problem to have until you have the Michael porters of the world sitting out work out. Last year it was Jackson and ball refusing to work out

Next year we had potentially 2 lotto picks. We moved one and 30 year old bad hip having IT for a 25 year old superstar

We can still get mike porter or someone good next year. The Lakers have a harder strength of schedule than the nets.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kyrie is now our PG leader with multiple NBA finals appearances under his belt.  We lost this trade from an asset standpoint but we could afford to do so.  What this does is put us over the hump and gives our young players a rock solid core to grow around.  Lost the battle to give us a chance to win the war.

If Kyrie had led his team to the Finals, maybe I'd agree.

But, Kyrie didn't lead that team. Before Lebron, he was leading his team deep into the lottery. I don't think he's the type of guy who carries a team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Happy for IT4 that he goes to the best team in the East now (by a wide margin) and pretty sad the Cavs get the two best things in the deal.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So Kyrie Irving is our best player now. Sorta. Total puke

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think people need to realize is we can't be a team full of lottery picks. It sounds like a good problem to have until you have the Michael porters of the world sitting out work out. Last year it was Jackson and ball refusing to work out

Next year we had potentially 2 lotto picks. We moved one and 30 year old bad hip having IT for a 25 year old superstar

We can still get mike porter or someone good next year. The Lakers have a harder strength of schedule than the nets.

IT is 28.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I don't have a problem with that.  It just makes it much less likely that we draft someone who values personal stats over team success.

You know, the Kyrie Irvings of the world
I'm bitter.

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Ive defended danny and the logic of his moves before. Well, not this time. This is a horrible trade.

I'm usually pretty critical of Danny, but I'm surprisingly zen about this one. Cavs wanted a future asset. Yes, it sucks to give up the Brooklyn pick but no guarantee that it ends up being #1. Even when we got the #1, we traded it.

As far IT and Crowder, IT was great when he was here. But his size and pending free agency always made me prepared for this possibility. Committing big money to a 5'9" guy who relies on his speed and is coming off of a hip injury is probably not the greatest investment in league history. I'm on record saying I think Crowder is significantly overrated around here because of his contract.

At the end of the day, we're adding a 25 year old 4 time all-star with championship experience and 2 guaranteed years left on his deal. I'm a happy camper.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
So we got marginally better at pg, lose depth and our best draft pick next year, still have the same holes in roster needing to be filled. All so we could delay paying a max contract to our pg by a year.. Ainge haters might've been on to something these past years..

Of course we were
the only reason we even had the pick to trade was because of ainge
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So these are the ways this trade works...some combination of most of this.  In no order

Kyrie becomes a real team first guy and Stevens takes him to the next level

Gordon H plays SG very effectively allowing Tatum to start at SF and he becomes ROY

Jaylen becomes 6th man of year and Most Improved Player

Jae C shows he's lost a step

Nets end up picking 5th

Zizic becomes nothing special

IT's hip is a problem

Rozier, Smart, and Jaylen all take significant steps forward

Yab, Nader, Theis, Kadeem, Jabari, Larkin, Semi come in better than advertised.

Morris wins in court

A Baynes comes in better than advertised

The Cavs pay the max to IT

We get the #2 pick from the Lakers pick

We win a ring in the next 2 seasons or three at absolute latest

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
When I heard about this possibility earlier today I really thought the Nets pick would be off the table -- and I was praying that Tatum and Brown would be off the table.

Bottom line (I think) is that Tatum or Nets '18 had to go in order to get Irving.  I am really, really glad that Brown and Tatum remain.  And I am really sad to lose the Nets pick. I am guessing the Cavs just held the line -- "Nets '18 or Tatum" -- and Ainge struck while the iron was hot for the 6'3" 25 year-old all-star PG with the secure contract. 

C's made a clear upgrade to their "Big 3" and to their starting lineup.   They made room (with the loss of Crowder) for floor time for JB and JT.

I just became a Nets fan.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hard to think of a package for AD any longer that's for sure.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Kyrie is now our PG leader with multiple NBA finals appearances under his belt.  We lost this trade from an asset standpoint but we could afford to do so.  What this does is put us over the hump and gives our young players a rock solid core to grow around.  Lost the battle to give us a chance to win the war.

If Kyrie had led his team to the Finals, maybe I'd agree.

But, Kyrie didn't lead that team. Before Lebron, he was leading his team deep into the lottery. I don't think he's the type of guy who carries a team.
at like 21 years old..
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789