Author Topic: Pick a Player Over/Under Points Game  (Read 4577838 times)

Re: Pick a Player Over/Under Points Game
« Reply #10740 on: March 25, 2011, 01:13:32 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
It's no biggie...from now on I'll wait until at least 4-5 people have made their picks. I don't want anybody calling me out for such trivial issues.

lol that's not what I'm saying. You can pick first every night... I just feel that if you are going to... you should actually show up.

It's annoying when I try to post my pick at midnight... and I post a second too early 2 nights in a row... and in both of those nights you and Bahku pick 1 & 2 even though you didn't even show up to make a pick you just "reserved a pick" with Bahku. Then I have to go back and change my pick and by the time I find somebody that's worth picking... they're taken by somebody else. Then I have to settle for a 4th pick.

Take Thornton back though... I don't want him. I didn't mean to start anything. Again, it isn't against the rules... I just think next season maybe it should be.

You said its not a big deal even though its very obvious that is  a big deal for you. I don't care...I'm not here on this blog to tick off people...if that means waiting to post my pick, so be it.

Let's end this discussion now. I consider it done and dusted. Have a good one. Cheers!

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #10741 on: March 25, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
MattG12 - For my 9 wins, 8 of them came well after midnight....I say this because I think that this probably the best part of PAPOUG - the uncertainty of it all.

AR may seem like a sure pick, but I had to look at him hard for a bit because he is going up against Perk and Serge tonight - I'm sure he won't go for 31 again.

For my win the other night with Jeff Teague? That was my third pick with him in about 8 days...I figured he'd win for me sooner or later.

Hang in there, Man.....there are still many players that don't get picked that can still score high.

I'm being misunderstood... I don't care if I win. I care if the people playing have a fair chance at making a good pick on a daily basis. Having two automatic picks at midnight that take the best two options is unfair in my opinion. I realize the best two options don't always win and I don't care if they do. People should just show up to make their own picks and reserve them if they actually can't make a pick.

« Reply #10742 on: March 25, 2011, 01:17:35 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
It's no biggie...from now on I'll wait until at least 4-5 people have made their picks. I don't want anybody calling me out for such trivial issues.

lol that's not what I'm saying. You can pick first every night... I just feel that if you are going to... you should actually show up.

It's annoying when I try to post my pick at midnight... and I post a second too early 2 nights in a row... and in both of those nights you and Bahku pick 1 & 2 even though you didn't even show up to make a pick you just "reserved a pick" with Bahku. Then I have to go back and change my pick and by the time I find somebody that's worth picking... they're taken by somebody else. Then I have to settle for a 4th pick.

Take Thornton back though... I don't want him. I didn't mean to start anything. Again, it isn't against the rules... I just think next season maybe it should be.

You said its not a big deal even though its very obvious that is  a big deal for you. I don't care...I'm not here on this blog to tick off people...if that means waiting to post my pick, so be it.

Let's end this discussion now. I consider it done and dusted. Have a good one. Cheers!

The thing is... you don't have to wait. You posted on another thread at 12:00 precisely tonight. You were around. You could have made your own pick at midnight on the dot and I wouldn't have cared.

If two or three people post ahead of me when I try to get that midnight lottery pick... I get over it.

If one person posts ahead of me and takes up the best two picks... that's frustrating.

« Reply #10743 on: March 25, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
MARCH 25, 2011

GreenFaith1819 - Anthony Randolph, Minnesota Timberwolves: 4.4
BareFacedMonk - Marcus Thornton, Sacramento Kings: 11.2
Bahku - Samardo Samuels, Cleveland Cavaliers: 7.7
MattG12 - Tyler Hansbrough, Indiana Pacers: 11.0

I give up on this game until the playoffs.

Why?

You're only two wins from the lead, for Pete's sake,  :)

Answer:

- I don't think I've won in at least 2 weeks
- Bahku and BFM have probably compiled about 9 wins between them in that time and it seems like every time one of them comes in first the other one comes in second
- I've realized it's pointless trying to make my pick at midnight because I never get mine in first and every time I do it says I posted it at 11:59:59
- Tonight I posted at 12:26 and I was still the 4th person to post... probably would have been the same had I posted at midnight
- Lastly, and I hate to call attention to it because I'm friends with them, but I'm in a bad mood... but it's kind of tough when Bahku picks for himself and BFM at the same time every night and always picks the two best available players. This hurts everybody elses chances of ever getting a top 1 or 2 pick because Bahku's timing is synched better than anybody else on this blog. Sorry guys... that's just been frustrating me lately, especially when BFM is still roaming the blog well after midnight... it's not like he can't make his own picks. Oh well... I haven't seen any rules against it so do what you've gotta do.

I have ALWAYS offered to ANYONE to make their pick for them, it has always been on the Results Page ... BFM asked, and I did so to help him out. As far as the picking at midnight thing, I've been burned myself a ton of times, but I didn't get peeved because it's just a game, and those are the rules. No one here is breaking any rules to my knowledge. This is supposed to be about fun, but if this is a problem, this is what I'm doing from now on:

1) I am not picking for anyone else but myself.

2) I am no longer picking at midnight ... I'll wait until I finish the results or until the next day.

3) If this doesn't solve the "problem", I'll just do the results and standings. This is a game, when people should be having fun, (which I thought we were), and I'm not going to do ANYthing to create hard feelings for the sake of a stupid game.

4) No one has broken any rules here ... everyone has their finger on their mouse at the same time, everyone has a clock and has the same opportunities to get the first pick in. I went a looooooooooooooong time without getting any wins, but now, because I've had a lucky streak, there's a problem. This really saddens me ... because up until now, there was always, at the very least, fun and good sportsmanship.

You and I, Matt, along with GF sometimes, were about the only people who played PAPTBG last year, and you beat me to the first pick so many times it's ridiculous. You also destroyed me in that game, but I still had fun. Did I EVER make an issue out of you getting so many first picks or winning so many times?!?

I just don't get this at all. If something unsavory or outside of the rules was being done in this game, I could see that people would complain. But we are all on the same level playing field here. Kwhit never gets to pick until the following morning or later, yet he still kicks butt. This is not about who gets their pick in first, it's about who gets the best pick or which basketball player has a big game the next night. But because of what's being complained about here, I am no longer picking at midnight, or helping anyone else with their pick, or doing anything else but picking the next day and doing the results and standings. I'm probably the least perfect person on this planet, but I never thought of myself as "unfair" ... guess I'd better loook closer.

Hope that solves the problem.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10744 on: March 25, 2011, 01:21:08 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
why does BFM need to have his pick made by Bahku at midnight every night?

- I'm a lazy person and don't want to look up the player's stats.

- I'm always torn between two players and keep debating on which one to pick right until the last minute...it annoys me. Asking Bahku to make my pick makes it easy for me to send him a PM without having to decide which player will be a "better pick".

This will be my last post on this issue. I already mentioned I won't ask Bahku to do it anymore since it obviously upsets you...a papoug win is not worth all this hassle and keystrokes.

I hope I've answered that to your satisfaction. Have a good one.

« Reply #10745 on: March 25, 2011, 01:24:28 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Hmmmm, I'm sorry, Matt, but I think that's kind of silly. When I get up at around 6 am there are always four to five picks (at least) that have been made. It's just the nature of the game. I do find it a bit irritating that people will try to get their pick in precisely at midnight EST but I can't really blame them. Also, saying you can't ever win (well, not your exact words but you get the point) is silly, too. Look at me, I've played around 145 times and I've only got four (1, 2, 3, 4) wins. I think I haven't won in, what, four months or so?! Yet I keep playing. I'm sure it has to do with not being able to pick in the top five of players who are doing well at the moment but what can I do? Plus, sometimes I've picked players that no one else would pick because I was tired of seeing the same names come up all the time. So, to sum it up, just keep picking, you never know what will happen. Yes, we all want to win but it's supposed to be fun. Also, when the playoffs come around, it won't matter a tiny bit who got the most RS wins. Finally, I know Bahku offers to pick for people, so you could just ask him to do so. It's not an exclusive thing to bfm.

But I don't need him to pick for me and neither does BFM... we're both awake. If it's just a silly game that's being played for fun... why does BFM need to have his pick made by Bahku at midnight every night?

You would have to ask bfm about that and I see you already did. I'm sorry it rubs you the wrong way but IMHO this discussion takes away from the fun of the game. You are second in the standings(?), you shouldn't really be moaning about who makes what picks and whatever. I'm sorry to come off sounding a bit harsh (because you know I like you) but IMO you are making way too much out of this.

« Reply #10746 on: March 25, 2011, 01:24:50 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Results will be up in a while.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10747 on: March 25, 2011, 01:28:29 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
These overreactions are ridiculous.

I don't care if people pick before me. I picked at 12:26 tonight clearly I don't care about who picks before me.

I feel that making a pick for somebody who is on CB at that exact moment is unfair. I don't care who wins as a result.

It has nothing to do with your lucky streak (Which happened to arise around the same time you started picking for BFM... at least that's when I first noticed it)... I'm happy you have a winning streak. You deserve all the wins you get with all of the work you do on here.

This will be about my fifth time saying it... I have a problem with picking for somebody else at midnight while they are still awake and posting in other threads at that time night after night. I realize the invite is open to other posters but I don't see why I should ask anybody to make a pick for me when I am perfectly capable of making a pick on my own.

« Reply #10748 on: March 25, 2011, 01:34:35 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
These overreactions are ridiculous.

I don't care if people pick before me. I picked at 12:26 tonight clearly I don't care about who picks before me.

I feel that making a pick for somebody who is on CB at that exact moment is unfair. I don't care who wins as a result.

It has nothing to do with your lucky streak (Which happened to arise around the same time you started picking for BFM... at least that's when I first noticed it)... I'm happy you have a winning streak. You deserve all the wins you get with all of the work you do on here.

This will be about my fifth time saying it... I have a problem with picking for somebody else at midnight while they are still awake and posting in other threads at that time night after night. I realize the invite is open to other posters but I don't see why I should ask anybody to make a pick for me when I am perfectly capable of making a pick on my own.

Well, if the pick Bahku makes for bfm is not a winner, does it still bother you? I'm quite sure it doesn't. I'm sorry but I can't really see the big problem. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I rarely (if ever) pick until those four or five (usually) great picks have been made. I live with it because there's not much else I can do.

« Reply #10749 on: March 25, 2011, 01:39:11 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
Maybe we should just make a new rule: You have to do all picks by yourself. If you're not able to, then "too bad, son."

Although I think that this rule should only be applied in the new season.

« Reply #10750 on: March 25, 2011, 01:39:13 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
why does BFM need to have his pick made by Bahku at midnight every night?

- I'm a lazy person and don't want to look up the player's stats.

- I'm always torn between two players and keep debating on which one to pick right until the last minute...it annoys me. Asking Bahku to make my pick makes it easy for me to send him a PM without having to decide which player will be a "better pick".

This will be my last post on this issue. I already mentioned I won't ask Bahku to do it anymore since it obviously upsets you...a papoug win is not worth all this hassle and keystrokes.

I hope I've answered that to your satisfaction. Have a good one.

I can't decide between two or more players very often and when I do, it doesn't matter because both players get taken at midnight anyway. I often have to get up for work 4 hours later and I still stay up to make my own pick. Not trying to get sympathy, I would still be awake anyway because I rarely sleep... for this reason I have no problem making my own pick.

You are still awake right now an hour and a half later... I don't see why you couldn't make your own pick. Laziness shouldn't be an excuse. If you're too lazy to make your own pick why should you have your pick made before people who show up and put a lot of time and thought behind their picks?

Now everybody is getting all over me because I mentioned something that I didn't like. You guys have PMed me on multiple occasions regarding the same type of scenario except you were the victims.

To respond to you hoping that you have answered to my satisfaction... no you have not. You refuse to understand what my intentions are and you thing I'm just complaining because I haven't been winning. I've made my intentions clear.

« Reply #10751 on: March 25, 2011, 01:42:56 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Maybe we should just make a new rule: You have to do all picks by yourself. If you're not able to, then "too bad, son."

I already suggested this... finish this season the way it has been played and apply a new rule next season... we did the same thing last season when we had a rule problem. Perhaps I could have presented it better... all I was saying was that I find it to be a problem and I thought it was worth discussing.

« Reply #10752 on: March 25, 2011, 01:43:20 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Matt, I have made it crystal clear that I won't ask Bahku to make any picks for me. Now drop it. If you're looking for confrontation...find another person.

And btw, I have never sent you a PM regarding who picks when on this thread or anything related to this thread. Now this is my last post on this issue. Seriously...please drop it.

« Reply #10753 on: March 25, 2011, 01:43:31 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I've already said that I'm not picking for anyone else anymore, or picking at midnight ... that should solve the problem, I would think. I offered in order to help people out ... if I had envisioned this, I never would have made the offer. I have NO idea what my winning streak and picking for BFM have to do with each other. ???

Anyway ... can we please drop this discussion before we ruin what should be a fun part of CB? I'm sure this isn't what Redz envisioned for this thread. Problem addressed ... problem solved. Move on.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10754 on: March 25, 2011, 01:44:04 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan

I already suggested this... finish this season the way it has been played and apply a new rule next season... we did the same thing last season when we had a rule problem. Perhaps I could have presented it better... all I was saying was that I find it to be a problem and I thought it was worth discussing.

I'm cool with that, what does everybody else think?