Author Topic: The Lakers & Hidden Gems  (Read 10085 times)

The Lakers & Hidden Gems
« on: January 13, 2024, 11:51:56 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Since 2014, the Lakers have an impressive record at drafting talent in the late first or second round.

(46th) Jordan Clarkson
(27th) Larry Nance Jr
(32nd) Ivica Zubac
(27th) Kyle Kuzma
(30th) Josh Hart
(42nd) Thomas Bryant
(25th) Moritz Wagner
(47th) Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
(UFA) Alex Caruso
(46th) Talen Horton-Tucker
(UFA) Austin Reaves

UFA = Undrafted Free Agent
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 02:47:56 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Hidden Gems & The Lakers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 12:00:31 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
I remember the days when folks say Kyle Kuzma was better than Jayson Tatum

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Re: Hidden Gems & The Lakers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 12:29:58 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I remember the days when folks say Kyle Kuzma was better than Jayson Tatum

They’re Lakers fans, 90% of them are idiots.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: The Lakers & Hidden Gems
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 02:18:23 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Too bad they blew their picks at the front end of the draft

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 06:58:27 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
TP to u Ed, didn’t realize this.. but the GM, LeBron, ruin the future then by getting rid of all of them, except Reaves, so he can bring in his own prefer players
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 07:53:19 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
That's a pretty impressive list, especially the UFAs. And it certainly makes me wonder how much is drafting vs. development

I'm not sure what Svi is doing on there, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 08:24:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
They actually did relatively well at the top as well.  Obviously Tatum instead of Ball would have been best pick (even before Ball injury), but they mostly picked well high.  Drafting was never Lakers' issue
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 09:41:50 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Passing on Tatum will forever haunt that poverty franchise.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 11:58:35 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
They actually did relatively well at the top as well.  Obviously Tatum instead of Ball would have been best pick (even before Ball injury), but they mostly picked well high.  Drafting was never Lakers' issue

No they didn't

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 01:24:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

No they didn't
Sure they did. Randle was absolutely the right pick in 14.  In 15 they took Russell instead of Okafor, though the Zinger would have been the better pick.  There is no one else till Booker at 13 that would have been better than Dlo and no one would have taken Booker at 2.  In 16 they took Ingram.  I think Ingram vs. Brown is a matter of preference, and that is with Ingram getting hurt. If Ingram stayed healthy, he'd have been better. Now, perhaps Murray should have gone 2 (and that wasn't a stretch).  The only other player in the entire draft you'd even consider is Sabonis but he went 11 and wasn't a realistic option at 2.  17 they obviously missed on Tatum by taking Ball, but pre-injury Ball was on track to be very good and arguably could have been better than anyone other than Tatum.  Obviously, Fox, Mitchell, and Bam have all been very good, but Fox was the only guy in that group taken in the top 10.

Ball over Tatum is the only really egregious draft pick and that was apparent almost immediately. 

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 01:59:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

No they didn't
Sure they did. Randle was absolutely the right pick in 14.  In 15 they took Russell instead of Okafor, though the Zinger would have been the better pick.  There is no one else till Booker at 13 that would have been better than Dlo and no one would have taken Booker at 2.  In 16 they took Ingram.  I think Ingram vs. Brown is a matter of preference, and that is with Ingram getting hurt. If Ingram stayed healthy, he'd have been better. Now, perhaps Murray should have gone 2 (and that wasn't a stretch).  The only other player in the entire draft you'd even consider is Sabonis but he went 11 and wasn't a realistic option at 2.  17 they obviously missed on Tatum by taking Ball, but pre-injury Ball was on track to be very good and arguably could have been better than anyone other than Tatum.  Obviously, Fox, Mitchell, and Bam have all been very good, but Fox was the only guy in that group taken in the top 10.

Ball over Tatum is the only really egregious draft pick and that was apparent almost immediately.

They should have taken jokic over randle.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 02:03:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No they didn't

Since the entire NBA missed, I can't really fault their management.  Let's be glad they overlooked him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 03:03:12 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
All thanks to Lavar Ball...who has been banished or disappeared after the Lakers shipped out Lonzo. Sheeeesh I remember his weekly hypes lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 03:54:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

No they didn't

Since the entire NBA missed, I can't really fault their management.  Let's be glad they overlooked him.
Yeah, you can't look back on a draft and say a 2nd round pick should have gone 1 and the team drafting at 1 failed as a result.  There has to be a realistic look back on things. Now if you are just doing a redraft, sure you put Jokic at 1, but that doesn't the teams in the lottery failed because Jokic hit it big. 

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 04:42:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

No they didn't

Yeah, you can't look back on a draft and say a 2nd round pick should have gone 1 and the team drafting at 1 failed as a result.  There has to be a realistic look back on things. Now if you are just doing a redraft, sure you put Jokic at 1, but that doesn't the teams in the lottery failed because Jokic hit it big.

Yeah I know I was not really being serious. But to be a little more serious how much credit to the lakers get for drafting guys like Randle or Zubac they just lose for nothing?