Author Topic: Arenas suspended indefinitely  (Read 23785 times)

Re: Arenas suspended indefinitely
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The original gun incident was just total stupidity.  The stunt he pulled in Philly the other night just reeked of more stupidity and ignorance of the severity of the situation.  It certainly exascerbated the issue.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Arenas suspended for 1 year
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2010, 08:36:20 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Stern is gonna lay the hammer down. You can't have players glorifing gun play. I bet when its all said and done Arenas gets a longer suspension than Artest for the Detroit brawl.
If that happens I will judge that punishment as unfair.  You want thug?  Look no further than Artest.  I'm no Arenas fan but there was not even any malice intent in his act, much less anyone getting hurt.

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
His contract won't be voided.  He will file a grievance under the CBA and likely win if no legal action is taken against him.  Gun ownership is legal in the United States.  What is Arenas "guilty" of?  He's certainly not the only complete idiot walking around with a gun.  We have whole states full of them in this country.
LOL!!  I like that.

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
And why isn't Crittenden suspended for a year?  According to the Globe, he's the one who loaded a clip of ammo into his gun. Arenas' guns were unloaded if what I've been reading is true.

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2010, 10:40:56 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
why theses brothas be messin up like this?...

"i need to ride with my gun in case somebody try and rob me"

well fool dont ride in ya escalde 30 in gold plated rims with ya music bumpin "i dare you" by black rob...

why did gilly need to bring 3 gats into the lockeroom in the first place..vick woods arenas...al sharpton help!!!!

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2010, 02:45:05 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think people are overreacting to a stupid, not malicious, act.  And I think people are too quick to condemn athletes as gangsters and thugs just because of their profession.  If a vice president were to own guns and say accidentally shoot someone in the face while hunting, would people say it was a stupid accident or he is just a gangster?

Now what if an NBA player made a stupid decision using guns as props for a joke?  Yeah, I know you can say one had a 'legitimate' reason (hunting) and one didn't (joking).  I would counter that by asking what makes shooting birds for entertainment more legitimate than a joke?

The real question here is what is going on in Arenas' head?  Was he even thinkingabout my fantasy team?  There goes a solid sleeper pick...

There's a difference between a hunting accident and threatening (even if in jest) to shoot another person over a gambling debt, isn't there?
Yeah. Someone actually got hurt in the former. No one did in the latter.

Did Gilbert threaten to shoot someone? I must have missed that.

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2010, 05:30:52 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think people are overreacting to a stupid, not malicious, act.  And I think people are too quick to condemn athletes as gangsters and thugs just because of their profession.  If a vice president were to own guns and say accidentally shoot someone in the face while hunting, would people say it was a stupid accident or he is just a gangster?

Now what if an NBA player made a stupid decision using guns as props for a joke?  Yeah, I know you can say one had a 'legitimate' reason (hunting) and one didn't (joking).  I would counter that by asking what makes shooting birds for entertainment more legitimate than a joke?

The real question here is what is going on in Arenas' head?  Was he even thinkingabout my fantasy team?  There goes a solid sleeper pick...

There's a difference between a hunting accident and threatening (even if in jest) to shoot another person over a gambling debt, isn't there?

So, if someone suggested that you pick out a gun for a gun duel, you wouldn't think there was any threat there?   Crittendon obviously took it that way, and responded like a gangster himself.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2010, 08:24:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
When you have Al Sharpton calling the NBA racist because it *didn't* suspend Arenas, and numerous non-sports outlets calling for his suspension, it's no surprise that Stern would act.

When a piece of human excrement, race baiter, and a collossal poverty pimp like sharpton speaks, everybody should ignore him or shout him down.  

I sincerely hope Stern ignored him.  I agree with what was said about Delonte.  I'm sorry....I see little difference.  Delonte is lucky to be playing.  I'll bet Arenas doesn't see the court for at least a year.

Wow.....(To the Second Paragraph) :o.

That's all I'm going to say. Sometimes the best thing to say is Nothing.

Al Sharpton isn't perfect, but some of us respect him as a person.

I'm one of them.

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

So, if someone suggested that you pick out a gun for a gun duel, you wouldn't think there was any threat there?   Crittendon obviously took it that way, and responded like a gangster himself.

I don't understand why Stern isn't suspending Crittendon.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72

I agree. I also think there's a huge difference between the use of hunting weapons for hunting in rural areas and hand guns being used the way they are in urban areas.

Also, I think it ridiculous to ever play or joke with weapons. I don't care if they were not loaded. Do you know how many accidents happen a year with hand guns because people take out the clip and forget the bullet in the chamber? It's significant.
Nick - actually I don't, how many? What's the percentage?

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I agree. I also think there's a huge difference between the use of hunting weapons for hunting in rural areas and hand guns being used the way they are in urban areas.

Also, I think it ridiculous to ever play or joke with weapons. I don't care if they were not loaded. Do you know how many accidents happen a year with hand guns because people take out the clip and forget the bullet in the chamber? It's significant.
Nick - actually I don't, how many? What's the percentage?

700-1000 people die every year due to accidental shootings. Most accidental shootings are non-fatal but statistics for those are much harder to compile.

There are roughly 200,000 non-fatal gunshot injuries in the US, usually 1/10th are accidental. So 700-1000 deaths and 20,000 injuries a year is a rough estimate.

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Especially after you've been arguing about a large amount of money earlier.

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2010, 09:37:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Yeah, if the media reports are accurate about his role, I don't, either.  It gives Arenas' attorneys a very good argument that he was suspended not for the alleged crime -- which is apparently similar to Crittendon's -- but for his public jesting.  If that's the case, much of the suspension will ultimately be reversed, as an indefinite suspension for distasteful joking would be unprecedented.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2010, 09:41:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah, if the media reports are accurate about his role, I don't, either.  It gives Arenas' attorneys a very good argument that he was suspended not for the alleged crime -- which is apparently similar to Crittendon's -- but for his public jesting.  If that's the case, much of the suspension will ultimately be reversed, as an indefinite suspension for distasteful joking would be unprecedented.
Well Stern also has his admission that he broke the league rules about guns at a team facility.  That's the other part of the suspension, clearly both contributed to Stern's wrath.

Crittendon has kept his mouth shut and has made no such admission.

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

Certainly, I would, and so apparently might Crittendon.  But Gilbert Arenas, notoriously 'off beat' (RE: lacking common sense) didn't.  He thought it was a joke.  How does that make him a thug, or gangster?

"There's a difference between a hunting accident and threatening (even if in jest) to shoot another person over a gambling debt, isn't there?"

Is there?  Does Dick Cheney need to kill pheasants to feed his family, or he is out running around in the woods discharging a deadly weapon and killing things for entertainment?  Gilbert Arenas made a stupid decision, but in his mind it was a joke, or entertainment.

You can say Gilbert's actions were reckless and endangered someone, but how is that different from going out with a group of friends with the intention of firing guns at low-flying birds in an environment with limited visibility, and apparently not enough gun safety knowledge or regard?