Author Topic: Arenas suspended indefinitely  (Read 23797 times)

Arenas suspended indefinitely
« on: January 06, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »

Offline 4THQTR

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 61

Re: Arenas suspended indefinitely
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:15:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I hope he doesn't try to shoot Stern for this. The moral of the story is that he should have brought a blow torch or a samurai sword or something

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:16:34 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Nice to see that poker games haven't progressed much from the Old West. Arenas is a child and a thug, and I honestly hope these guys get more than a suspension.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This was definitely deserved, and I'm glad to see Stern act.  Once Al Sharpton and others started putting political pressure on Stern, I guess it forced his hand.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Suspended Indefinitely (Gilbert that is)...
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Link
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/other_nba/view/20100106nba_suspends_wizards_gilbert_arenas_indefinitely/

Not Currently fit to take the court in the NBA says David Stern.

Wow.  I didn't expect such a harsh penalty but I think it is warranted.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think Arenas forced Stern's hand, with his comments to the media last night. He said something along the lines of, "If I felt I'd done something wrong, then I'd feel sorry for what's happened."

Not exactly a smart move, but then again, neither is bringing your private arsenal to your place of employment.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Arenas got what he deserves if all is true.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:24:31 PM by housecall »

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Stupid. Now that he was playing well. I had lots of fun watching him last night vs the 76ers.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 04:57:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Stupid. Now that he was playing well. I had lots of fun watching him last night vs the 76ers.
The suspension? Or Arenas's handling of the situation?

I think the suspension is warranted given that Arenas wouldn't do the smart thing and just bunker down like Delonte has and play.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I said in a thread this morning, I didn't understand what the delay was. He was obviously guilty.

Did anyone read some of the stuff he was Twittering about the subject? Just some really childish, stupid, irresponsible stuff.

As an aside to those who were a part of a very fun debate regarding Gilbert Arenas during the CB NBA Draft, this seems fitting to the discussion.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 05:20:26 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd like to see a life-time ban for Arenas and a multi-year suspension for Javaris.

It's time to make an example out of these fools and end this NBA thug league culture once and for all.  

To think of how many times I've defended the league to the nay-sayers, and have this come along!  It's an embarressment to be a NBA fan right now.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 05:21:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think a life-time ban is warranted.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I think the suspension is warranted given that Arenas wouldn't do the smart thing and just bunker down like Delonte has and play.

The suspension. Fine him, take away 99.9% of his annual salary, but allow the fans to watch the best players playing. What was Arenas supposed to do, what has Delonte done differently?

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The suspension. Fine him, take away 99.9% of his annual salary, but allow the fans to watch the best players playing. What was Arenas supposed to do, what has Delonte done differently?
Delonte didn't break the regulations within the collective bargaining agreement his union negotiated with the league by bringing the guns to the arena. All he did was carry the guns in an illegal manner. But nto in an NBA facility and that is all the difference in the world.

Delonte, for all his mental and emotional instability, was at least smart enough to keep his mouth shut. Arenas' mouth once again wrote a check his ass couldn't cash. He's a moron.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Wiz statement:
"We fully endorse the decision of the NBA to indefinitely suspend Gilbert Arenas. Strictly legal issues aside, Gilbert's recent behavior and statements, including his actions and statements last night in Philadelphia, are unacceptable. Some of our other players appeared to find Gilbert's behavior in Philadelphia amusing. This is also unacceptable. Under Abe Pollin's leadership, our organization never tolerated such behavior, and we have no intention of ever doing so."

Ernie Grunfeld, President, Washington Wizards
Irene Pollin, Principal Owner, Washington Sports and Entertainment (WSE)
Robert Pollin, Chief Executive Officer, WSE
James Pollin, President, WSE"

Gilbert is a complete moron.  I am so glad we dont have an idiot like this as a face to our franchise.  Ive never seen a team come out and back the suspension of their own player.  Just when you think he couldnt embarrass the team even more he starts making gun motions with his hands around tv cameras and starts asking people for apologies.  I can imagine Ernie Grunfeld pulling his out hair out in his office yelling "Just Shut Up!!!!!!!"

I hope hes gone, this year and next, and if he is kicked out of the NBA, I hope Stern keeps the Wizards on the hook for his contract and make them donate it to charity.  Maybe if he did  it would make teams think twice about throwing these huge contracts out to clowns like Gilbert.
Greg