Author Topic: Celtics Willing to Use 1st to Dump Wallace  (Read 5983 times)

Celtics Willing to Use 1st to Dump Wallace
« on: April 27, 2015, 01:34:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I just saw this on Pro Basketball Talk.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/27/report-celtics-willing-to-trade-first-rounder-to-dump-gerald-wallace/

I thought this was interesting, because it doesn't seem like they've been that worried about his contract in the past. Perhaps they plan to be really aggressive in free agency, or they have a potential trade worked out that they're needing cap space or salaries for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically since we're out of the playoffs now I believe we can complete trades at any time, though this is unusual before draft night.

Re: Celtics Willing to Use 1st to Dump Wallace
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 01:36:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Doesn't make any sense. Wallace expires this year, and there isn't much on the market in the offseason to begin with.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 01:37:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I just saw this on Pro Basketball Talk.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/27/report-celtics-willing-to-trade-first-rounder-to-dump-gerald-wallace/

I thought this was interesting, because it doesn't seem like they've been that worried about his contract in the past. Perhaps they plan to be really aggressive in free agency, or they have a potential trade worked out that they're needing cap space or salaries for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically since we're out of the playoffs now I believe we can complete trades at any time, though this is unusual before draft night.

You don't use a first to dump Wallace. If you need to dump Wallace, you stretch him. The salary cap is going to increase a lot in the coming years.

You DO use a first rounder to use Wallace in a trade to acquire a player of interest, if the price is using a first rounder to make that happen, well of course you do it... but by it's nature, it's not a dump Wallace move, simply the price to pay in a trade.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Doesn't make any sense. Wallace expires this year, and there isn't much on the market in the offseason to begin with.
Only makes sense if they want/need to clear space for another move. Same thing as the Zeller trade with Cleveland.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 01:38:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

I think we'd only really need to dump him if we were planning on signing something like two max free agents. So it is interesting to wonder why this comes up now, especially given the fact that Danny knows more than we do about potential free agents and where they're leaning.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 01:40:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I understand WHY we'd want to dump him, what I'm saying is that I can't see the requisite conditions building up. No big names are available this offseason, either through FA or trade.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 01:42:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I am wondering if they were disappointed in his play yesterday and decided he wouldn't be part of the rotation moving forward.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I am wondering if they were disappointed in his play yesterday and decided he wouldn't be part of the rotation moving forward.
When WAS he a part of the rotation anyhow?

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I understand WHY we'd want to dump him, what I'm saying is that I can't see the requisite conditions building up. No big names are available this offseason, either through FA or trade.
Plenty of names big and small are available this offseason. You've just already assumed you know how the entire offseason will play out.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

sure, ok. I mean if we have two max players we're excited about and getting Wallace off the books is literally the only way, then of course.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »

Offline Jferrari401

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
 I would be disappointed to see Wallace go. I think that his role as a leader with this young squad was very underrated. He accepted his lack of playing time and instead basically became an extra coach for us. Also loved watching him during his prime
I told the driver Lenny swing me by the garden I gotta talk to Pat
Showed him some stacks
Then showed him the gat like ‘you’re gonna miss the finger roll right?’
Yes, Mr. Baklava

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Including our potential 1st round picks, we should have around $29 million available to us if we stretch Wallace and about $32 million if we dump him.

So we'll see what's needed.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I hope this is true because it means that we are signing so very good free agents.

Since I don't expect that I think we keep him and allow him to continue to mentor our young guys like he did this year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 01:58:42 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I was just going to say this, unless what others are saying, we are signing a good FA this year and need more cap space

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
When WAS he a part of the rotation anyhow?

I was making a joke.