Author Topic: Avery Bradley doesn't realize his potential  (Read 5920 times)

Re: Avery Bradley doesn't realize his potential
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He

Is

Little Kobe 2.0......soon to be known as

..... The Mini Mamba ......returns !    ;D

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 07:10:13 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Bradley's defense went down a notch a year or so ago.  Since that time he has NO starting skill for a starting sg in the nba.  If he kept the great defense going then it would make up for his HORRIBLE ball handling, lack of creating his own shot and questionable shot selection.
At the time I was for trading bradley and keeping courtney lee.  I wonder how their stats match up ?

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 07:18:09 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I don't think his problem is ball-handling really.  He doesn't have a great handle relative to other guards, but he's good enough to make straight two-bounce drives to the hoop

His problems IMO are that he isn't good in the paint when he does get there - he's a mediocre finisher and he doesn't have the mindset to draw fouls and get to the line.  I don't remember the last time I saw him go up and challenge somebody at the rim, but I know for a fact that he has the athleticism to do it. 

He uses his dribble to move laterally for an open midrange jumpshot, and he makes them at a good (though streaky) clip.  That's a double-edged sword - he's a good shooter in that range, but the midrange jumper is an inefficient shot by nature and it reinforces the notion that he doesn't have to attack. 

That's why he has lines like 19 points on 9-16 shooting - despite having a great game from the field, it's still not very efficient because he doesn't take a lot of threes and he rarely gets to the line.  So his next step has to be one of those two areas - either start attacking and drawing fouls, or improve that three point stroke and start launching from beyond the arc.
Obviously, you don't really understand basketball.  Gotta be much slicker with the ball.

Thanks for the assumption. 

And no, for the role Bradley would play it's not crucial.  He's not a top option - he isn't going to draw a team's best perimeter defender and have help waiting for him if he gets into the lane.  Guys like Irving and Harden need to deal with that stuff.  For Bradley?  I want him to attack closeouts, turn the corner on the pick often enough to keep a defense honest, and beat the occasional quickness mismatch.  He doesn't need Irving's handle to do those things, but if he could do them consistently then it would make him a significantly more efficient offensive player.  He's never going to be a #1.  I just want him to be a serviceable #3/#4. 

Frankly, I have more concerns about his passing than his handle in those situations.  Can he consistently make the kick to the corner or the drop-off to the big when he hits the second line of defense in the paint?  That's the skill that I'm not sure he has.
I didn't make an assumption.  I responded directly to your comment about just needing two dribbles.  It is much more complex than that.  My point is that unless he improves his ball handling (which he pretty much can't anymore btw), then he ain't attacking the rim because he isn't going to get by his man consistently.

I'm talking about the assumption that I don't know basketball.

And I already explained when/how Bradley can go to the rim despite having a mediocre handle.  At this point we can just agree to disagree.

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 07:22:21 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't think his problem is ball-handling really.  He doesn't have a great handle relative to other guards, but he's good enough to make straight two-bounce drives to the hoop

His problems IMO are that he isn't good in the paint when he does get there - he's a mediocre finisher and he doesn't have the mindset to draw fouls and get to the line.  I don't remember the last time I saw him go up and challenge somebody at the rim, but I know for a fact that he has the athleticism to do it. 

He uses his dribble to move laterally for an open midrange jumpshot, and he makes them at a good (though streaky) clip.  That's a double-edged sword - he's a good shooter in that range, but the midrange jumper is an inefficient shot by nature and it reinforces the notion that he doesn't have to attack. 

That's why he has lines like 19 points on 9-16 shooting - despite having a great game from the field, it's still not very efficient because he doesn't take a lot of threes and he rarely gets to the line.  So his next step has to be one of those two areas - either start attacking and drawing fouls, or improve that three point stroke and start launching from beyond the arc.
Obviously, you don't really understand basketball.  Gotta be much slicker with the ball.

Thanks for the assumption. 

And no, for the role Bradley would play it's not crucial.  He's not a top option - he isn't going to draw a team's best perimeter defender and have help waiting for him if he gets into the lane.  Guys like Irving and Harden need to deal with that stuff.  For Bradley?  I want him to attack closeouts, turn the corner on the pick often enough to keep a defense honest, and beat the occasional quickness mismatch.  He doesn't need Irving's handle to do those things, but if he could do them consistently then it would make him a significantly more efficient offensive player.  He's never going to be a #1.  I just want him to be a serviceable #3/#4. 

Frankly, I have more concerns about his passing than his handle in those situations.  Can he consistently make the kick to the corner or the drop-off to the big when he hits the second line of defense in the paint?  That's the skill that I'm not sure he has.
I didn't make an assumption.  I responded directly to your comment about just needing two dribbles.  It is much more complex than that.  My point is that unless he improves his ball handling (which he pretty much can't anymore btw), then he ain't attacking the rim because he isn't going to get by his man consistently.

I'm talking about the assumption that I don't know basketball.

And I already explained when/how Bradley can go to the rim despite having a mediocre handle.  At this point we can just agree to disagree.
Yeah, before this gets out of hand, let's agree to disagree.