Author Topic: “Buzz”: Hayward considering “Al Horford” plan, could leave Celts  (Read 12875 times)

Re: “Buzz”: Hayward considering “Al Horford” plan, could leave Celts
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 09:56:16 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 Hayward is an all star level player still this year. Those numbers were absurd for how low in the pecking order he was. If I was him I would be so long gone and I’d have fire in the belly to stick it to a lot ( not all ) of Celtics fans that blamed him for being injured and think he’s not that good anyways.
  If I was Hayward I’d be so eager to make Boston eat it.

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I don't think the wholesome Haywards of India would do well in New Orleans, that's no place to raise a young family.

When you're closing in on $200 million in career earnings, any place can be made to be a nice place to raise a young family.

I'd argue that as being a reason for wanting to choose where you would like to raise a family. You have everything you need in life, no reason to go to a team that has far from ideal surroundings.

Don't get me wrong, I love New Orleans, I've been multiple times and ventured far past the French quarter. That said, it would be very very low on my list of places to ever raise a family.

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2020, 09:58:51 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If Hayward is truly going to opt out that makes me question where his mind is at. The only way this makes any sort of sense is if he has no confidence in his body or his play and thinks it's possible this may be his last chance at a big payday.

If that really is where his mind is at do we really even want him back?

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2020, 10:02:19 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I think he could be a goner

I won't have any ill will towards him.  He has had really bad luck as a Celtic.

Just curious, and not calling you out Tr1boy, but genuinely curious: Why didn't Al Horford or Ray Allen get this treatment? Do we not deem Hayward as essential to championship basketball as we did Ray and Al? Are we frustrated with Gordon's tenure here so we're happy to move on, or will it be completely dependent on where he signs, if he leaves Boston.

I am just fascinated with the psychology of fandom. This thread seems pretty mellow towards GH, but there are still people that can't stand Ray and Al.

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2020, 10:02:45 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Hayward not picking up his option would be silly to me. He’s not going to make 34 mil this year anywhere else. Regardless of how well or poorly he plays this season, I don’t see him signing less than a 4yr/80 anywhere. A team will give him that even if he’s below average this year.

Hayward looking around isn’t surprising. He may be in the mind set of I just need to move on from Boston. I can’t imagine the pressure he is feeling after his unfortunate string of injuries have derailed his Boston tenure.

However, Hayward opting out and signing elsewhere is the absolute worst case scenario for Boston. We lose a player with max talent potential (key word potential), we get no assets in return, and it doesn’t help our cap situation in any way.

It absolutely kills some Boston sports fans to hear Hayward has max potential still. 17.5/6.5 and 4.5 with his percentages way down the pecking order and they don’t see that as max talent. Riiiight.

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2020, 10:25:05 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Hayward not picking up his option would be silly to me. He’s not going to make 34 mil this year anywhere else. Regardless of how well or poorly he plays this season, I don’t see him signing less than a 4yr/80 anywhere. A team will give him that even if he’s below average this year.

Hayward looking around isn’t surprising. He may be in the mind set of I just need to move on from Boston. I can’t imagine the pressure he is feeling after his unfortunate string of injuries have derailed his Boston tenure.

However, Hayward opting out and signing elsewhere is the absolute worst case scenario for Boston. We lose a player with max talent potential (key word potential), we get no assets in return, and it doesn’t help our cap situation in any way.

It absolutely kills some Boston sports fans to hear Hayward has max potential still. 17.5/6.5 and 4.5 with his percentages way down the pecking order and they don’t see that as max talent. Riiiight.

#'s are there but durability isn't. He's played in 50% of our games as a Celtic, is that worth max potential? If he's not there when we need him most what good is he?

There has been a lot of questioning "would we have beat ... if Hayward was healthy" the fact we ask that time and time again to me is the problem with Hayward.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:32:02 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2020, 10:32:24 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I don't think the wholesome Haywards of India would do well in New Orleans, that's no place to raise a young family.

When you're closing in on $200 million in career earnings, any place can be made to be a nice place to raise a young family.

I'd argue that as being a reason for wanting to choose where you would like to raise a family. You have everything you need in life, no reason to go to a team that has far from ideal surroundings.

Don't get me wrong, I love New Orleans, I've been multiple times and ventured far past the French quarter. That said, it would be very very low on my list of places to ever raise a family.

Hayward isn't some regional manager making 125k a year. In any major American city the very wealthy are going to have their private schools and private clubs and gated communities (or towers) that make life be what they want it to be. Lifestyle preferences between cities come into play when the money's good either way, but if he can get an extra $20 million on his next contract by going somewhere, it'll make his list. New Orleans investment in Ingram is going to do more to keep Hayward out of New Orleans than anything else.

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

#'s are there but durability isn't. He's played in 50% of our games as a Celtic, is that worth max potential? If he's not there when we need him most what good is he?

There has been a lot of questioning "would we have beat ... if Hayward was healthy" the fact we ask that time and time again to me is the problem with Hayward.
   Yup. All correct. I just wish people in Boston could admit what’s their when he’s been healthy. It’s like trying to talk politics with people that dislike Hayward. Like “ omg I’m not disagreeing with ya ( to my buddy) he HAS NOT been available. I’m just simply stating what I think he is when healthy. “  Crickets. It’s a conversation ender. There’s such dislike for him people won’t admit that as if the admission from them means he stays. It won’t matter. Danny isn’t listening to any of us.  It’s mind boggling.

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2020, 10:47:38 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  If we move on from Hayward it should t he from a “ he’s always injured” perspective IF he doesn’t have ongoing problems to worry about. I’m much more concerned if Kemba’s knee can be what ur was than I am if Hayward can be what he was beginning of last year. I see Kemba as a worry he’s got a severely compromising problem that is expected to maybe be ongoing. I only am so worried because it’s not being talked about. Nobody is asking Celts questions of Kemba’s expected health.

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2020, 10:55:44 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I’m much more concerned if Kemba’s knee can be what ur was than I am if Hayward can be what he was beginning of last year. I see Kemba as a worry he’s got a severely compromising problem that is expected to maybe be ongoing. I only am so worried because it’s not being talked about. Nobody is asking Celts questions of Kemba’s expected health.

I'm less worried about Kemba's knee than most because there's only one season where it can truly be a genuine problem. He started the all-star game this past year before slowing down late and should be fine to be, at worst, a third option and floor spacer behind the J's this coming year. If things really go south it'd be an issue in 21-22 (although that's very far from guaranteed), but after that he'd be a big expiring contract to use in hunting a third option to put with Tatum and Brown. More likely he's put on a load management schedule with an eye toward health come the playoffs.

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2020, 11:04:09 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
He's the biggest non-Anthony Davis free agent. This is not surprising. Teams like the Kings and Hawks have cap space and both teams could use his playmaking.

It also could signify that Ainge is playing hardball with a new contract. Like, "Go find out what you are worth around the league and then we can talk about that dollar amount."

Kings have Capspace?
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2020, 11:06:02 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think this is all being floated because Hayward has seen his name in trade rumors and he'd rather control where he goes.  It's unfortunate that we won't have the majority of his salary to use, but there are things that can be done. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2020, 11:37:59 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
"Buzz" title makes this sound like an actual trade or FA "rumor" when in fact nothing more than blind speculation by a failed Nets Assistant GM throwing blind speculation about Hayward forcing a trade by threatening to sign with a lousy team with cap space.  Some of the other trades proposed (Zach Collins and Trevor Ariza for Hayward) were equally absurd.

May want to re-word heading, Mods.

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2020, 12:07:20 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Hard to imagine Hayward walking away from 34M. But then again, if someone offers 25/4? That’s...something to think about for him. How about 27/4 plus the opportunity to be heavily featured and not be the 3rd/4th banana. Def something to consider if I were him.

If Hayward walks, that’s a massive blow to this team. He may be underperforming in relation to his max contract, but imagine if we were just paying him the MLE. Anyone we get will be a definite downgrade, overall skill-wise. I hope the fit will be better though
- LilRip

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2020, 12:17:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yup. All correct. I just wish people in Boston could admit what’s their when he’s been healthy. It’s like trying to talk politics with people that dislike Hayward. Like “ omg I’m not disagreeing with ya ( to my buddy) he HAS NOT been available. I’m just simply stating what I think he is when healthy. “  Crickets. It’s a conversation ender. There’s such dislike for him people won’t admit that as if the admission from them means he stays. It won’t matter. Danny isn’t listening to any of us.  It’s mind boggling.

I don't think anybody really dislikes Hayward - your post is a bit inflammatory and perhaps you are trying to evoke a strong reaction from the hypothetical other side. We all acknowledge that Hayward fits perfectly in our system and has proven he doesn't mind taking a back seat/filling in the gaps. We all realize that it has to have been incredibly frustrating for him to come to a situation where he should be competing for championships, but instead has been rehabbing for much of his time here.

From the perspective of Cs fans, I think most could go either way because while we realize he is a very good player, he has seemingly been cursed from the very beginning with this franchise. Committing long term money to him at a lower AAV could work out very well, but it could also be a disaster.

As for johnboy's comments about Ray and Al - Ray Allen left a championship core for less money because he didn't like management (thus, upsetting his teammates); he then hit the shot that essentially won MIA/Lebron a Title. With Al, I think most here believe that we dodged a bullet. If he had gone to any team other than the Sixers or Lakers, we would be wishing him well. Since he went to our rival, of course we are going to root against him; but I think people generally appreciate what he gave to this franchise and will think fondly of him when he has moved on.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:32:28 PM by jambr380 »