Author Topic: Scottie Pippen has lost his mind (Lebron > MJ?)  (Read 26999 times)

Scottie Pippen has lost his mind (Lebron > MJ?)
« on: May 27, 2011, 11:33:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Quote from: Scottie Pippen
Michael Jordan is probably the greatest scorer to ever play in the game, but I may go as far to say LeBron James is probably the greatest player to ever play the game. Not only can he score at will, but he keeps everybody involved. You have to be on your Ps and Qs because everybody is a threat to score when he’s on the floor. Not only that, LeBron James will dominate the game on the offensive end and he’s able to do it on the defensive end as well. He can get in those passing lanes and dominate the game.

Pippen has talked in the past about how he felt overshadowed by Jordan, so I'm sure this is just jealousy seeping through.  To say that Jordan didn't involve his teammates, or to neglect MJ's defense, does him a grave disservice.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Scottie Pippen has lost his mind (Lebron > MJ?)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'd agree with the defense more than the involving his teammates part, but LeBron can't really score at will, and he's nowhere hear the clutch scorer Jordan was.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:44:52 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Lebron needs to prove his clutch scoring about 5 more times after he finishes this postseason....then you can start to compare his postseason clutchness to that of Jordan's.

But I tend to agree with Pippen's overall estimation.

I think if you are looking at scoring, passing and defense...Lebron is better than Jordan overall.

Lebron has the physical gifts from god that he can be the best defender this league has ever seen.

Probably the best 2 way player this league has ever seen.

KG is also a physical marvel too. But he was never strong enough to guard the great PFs and he was too tall to be a true lockdown perimeter defender.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »

Offline mostofusrsad

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Christ, I hate to see Pippen turn on Jorden like that...Lebron hasn't won anything yet and he is already the greatest?  Imagine how insufferable this talk is going to be after he starts winning championships...

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Ya, just a silly comment coming from Pippen for some obviously shallow reasons.

I certainly think Lebron could be come the greatest, but let's cool it on that talk for now.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I wonder how much Nike paid Scottie to say that.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 12:04:08 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Do you have to have a championship to be considered the greatest player?

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I'd say it helps.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Lebron needs to prove his clutch scoring about 5 more times after he finishes this postseason....then you can start to compare his postseason clutchness to that of Jordan's.

I think if you are looking at scoring, passing and defense...Lebron is better than Jordan overall.

Lebron has the physical gifts from god that he can be the best defender this league has ever seen.

KG is also a physical marvel too. But he was never strong enough to guard the great PFs and he was too tall to be a true lockdown perimeter defender.

I certainly don't agree with you on Lebron being a better scorer than Jordan,

Also KG was never strong enough to guard the great PF's? Huh?

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I'd say it helps.

Absolutely

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 12:11:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

LeBron's a better passer, on defense they're fairly equal, and LeBron's not the scorer Jordan was at all.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Pippen always felt that he was better than Jordan.

It's not really a surprise that he also thinks LeBron is better than MJ.

It's the same reasoning -- the involving the teammates, being a team player, easier to play alongside and easier for GMs to build around (according to Pip).

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 12:22:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

LeBron's a better passer, on defense they're fairly equal, and LeBron's not the scorer Jordan was at all.
LeBron's a better rebounder, and actually a better defender than Michael. His size allows him to be more disruptive defensively and guard more positions.

He's definitely not the same sort of scorer that Michael was.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah since when? KG was strong enough to guard most C's for stretches if necessary. He showed that by dominating Yao Ming for stretches when he had to defend him in both Boston and Minnesota.

After he grew into his frame (three years in?) KG could handle PFs just fine. Also when Tim Duncan/KG were both young they'd lock down even opposing PGs for stetches. (KG would guard the PG in a semi-zone TD guarded penetrating PGs in his first three years with amazing effectiveness at times)

A short of Jared Jeffries style that we see on Rondo, only much more effective.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Yeah - that's about the same reaction I did - in ref to KG.

KG thrived in IMO the greatest era of PFs..just over the last few years, Kevin has battled Tim Duncan of all folks to virtual standstills, lol...

Now - consider the 2003-04 KG?

But back to Scotty - From my eyes, I agree with BBall. Lebron's not the scorer that Jordan was..Lebron's a better passer.

Defensively? Well, until I see some Defensive Player of the Year or 1st team NBA Defense awards next to his name, I can't call that, either.

EDIT: Wow - scratch my last statement about defense - Lebron does in fact have a few Defensive awards.

But overall I'd just wait and take a snapshot of Lebron's career in about 4-5 yrs, myself. He needs the rings before he gets certified.

I'm not too sure what Scotty's bent is, here.