Author Topic: Trivia: MASH  (Read 15355 times)

Re: Trivia: MASH
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 04:31:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Bob Cousy.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »

Offline LarryForThree

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
Ed Macauley?

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
The only logical answer is Heinsohn. The hook was his shot, and he would have been playing during the Korean War. 

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The only logical answer is Heinsohn. The hook was his shot, and he would have been playing during the Korean War. 
I think that's the key.  who was playing during the Korean war and would take hook shots.  I think Heinsohn played after the war was over in 1953.  My guess is Mcauley for lack of knowledge of anyone else that may have been playing 60 years ago.

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Chuck Connors.

Totally out of the blue here.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
None of the answers are correct thus far...all my guesses were wrong too, so I had asked the OP out of curiosity. :)
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 06:39:14 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Bill Sharman?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I was thinking perhaps Bill Sharman, but with MASH being what it was, it might be a player from the Vietnam, rather than Korean, era?

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 06:52:47 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
I think that's the key.  who was playing during the Korean war and would take hook shots.  I think Heinsohn played after the war was over in 1953.  My guess is Mcauley for lack of knowledge of anyone else that may have been playing 60 years ago.

Geez -- I was way off on the end of the Korean War (Conflict).  I had it in my head that it ended in the late 50's.  Heinsohn began his career in 1957.

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was thinking perhaps Bill Sharman, but with MASH being what it was, it might be a player from the Vietnam, rather than Korean, era?

If MASH is taking place in the early 50s, then it couldn't be a player from the Vietnam era.

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 07:00:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
What if its not a player but just a name connected to the Celtics. MASH was, after all, a comedy.  Red Auerbach?  Johnny Most?

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

If MASH is taking place in the early 50s, then it couldn't be a player from the Vietnam era.

MASH, the movie/show, though about the Korean war, is widely considered to be social criticism of war generally and the Vietnam war in particular.  Thought that perhaps mentioning a 60's-era Celtic might have been one of the more subtle ways the writers might have made their point.

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
A somewhat interesting and connected side note:

I knew Alan Alda a little bit at one point in my life.  I was very good friends (just friends) with his daughter in college.  We were in school in Connecticut and the Alda's home was in Englewood, NJ.  I spent the night at the Alda house on a few occasions -- I went out to a play with Mr. Alda and ate dinner, breakfast with him a couple of times.  I slept in the room with his Emmy's and People Choice awards.  This was back when MASH was still current (late 70's).  He was extermely unpretentious.

OK, maybe not all that interesting.

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 07:22:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

MASH, the movie/show, though about the Korean war, is widely considered to be social criticism of war generally and the Vietnam war in particular.  Thought that perhaps mentioning a 60's-era Celtic might have been one of the more subtle ways the writers might have made their point.

I understand the concept behind the show but they were pretty good about keeping the show "'50s contemporary" if you exclude the fact it ran like 12 seasons yet the Korean War was only a few years.