Author Topic: Greatest power forwards of all time  (Read 38240 times)

Re: Greatest power forwards of all time
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 10:13:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm sorry...I love McHale obviously, as well as the other PFs listed throughout this thread. But I don't think they impacted the Defensive end like Kevin Garnett:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrGJxcYxUDg&feature=related

There is another video of KG's Blocks that is about twice as long.

KG played all 5 positions in Minny as well.

Defensively KG was without peer, IMO.

McHale was able to guard three positions at a very high level and blocked more shots per minute than KG.

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 10:20:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
McHale has the exact same block percentage as Garnett (percent of two point shot attempts blocked). The addition of the three point shot and how often teams use it accounts for the per minute block difference.

Garnett also was a much better rebounder, and overall a better defender than McHale. McHales real advantage is how good he was in the post and resulting efficiency on offense.

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 10:48:20 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
the difference between mchale and everyother pf is that mchale play mchale. thats a whole new unprecedent and unfuture style.
he was just a delight to watch, soo big that i still wish from time to time he still plays, only 2 players generate that effect on me, gerald green and mchale,,lol,,, kidding the other one is larry
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 10:48:46 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think KG is an all-time elite defender, with the likes of Hakeem and Russell. There is nothing he couldn't do. Athletic, fast, strong, vocal.

On offense, he was extremely versatile, and one of the best passing bigs of all time. He could post-up with ease because of his length, or take it outside with an excellent jumper with range.

The only PF I would rate ahead of him is Duncan, and only because 4 rings can't be ignored. However, one player came into a great situation (with a great mentor and coach) while the other fell into a mess of an organization (revolving door of coaches and lack of quality players).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I think KG is an all-time elite defender, with the likes of Hakeem and Russell. There is nothing he couldn't do. Athletic, fast, strong, vocal.

On offense, he was extremely versatile, and one of the best passing bigs of all time. He could post-up with ease because of his length, or take it outside with an excellent jumper with range.

The only PF I would rate ahead of him is Duncan, and only because 4 rings can't be ignored. However, one player came into a great situation (with a great mentor and coach) while the other fell into a mess of an organization (revolving door of coaches and lack of quality players).

well i guess mchales rings shouldnt be ignore

and i have a different theory about young kg.
he pay the price of being yound and stat worker
he learned he growth and hes great
duncan came to the league being a man in the mission and with
the admiral his life was easier
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 11:07:42 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I've always thought blocked shots were overrated.  Be it McHale, Garnett or anybody else.

Darko is going to break Garnett's Twolves blocked shot record this year.  I don't think anybody would put Darko in the category of great defenders.

For impact on both ends of the floor, IMHO, Garnett, McHale, and Duncan are tied.

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 11:16:51 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I've always thought blocked shots were overrated.  Be it McHale, Garnett or anybody else.

Darko is going to break Garnett's Twolves blocked shot record this year.  I don't think anybody would put Darko in the category of great defenders.

For impact on both ends of the floor, IMHO, Garnett, McHale, and Duncan are tied.

A 3-way tie?!?!?! No fun!

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

All right.  In order of titles

Duncan
McHale
Garnett

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

All right.  In order of titles

Duncan
McHale
Garnett

I'm 25 so I admit I only saw McHale on the tail end of his career but was he really known as a "quarterback" of the defense? When I think of KG I think of defense first. When I think of McHale I think of post moves first. I just always pictured Garnett as really elevating the entire teams defense and having a bigger overall impact in that sense where I picture McHale as more of a shutdown guy. Am I wrong or somewhere in between?

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2011, 11:46:15 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
McHale has the exact same block percentage as Garnett (percent of two point shot attempts blocked). The addition of the three point shot and how often teams use it accounts for the per minute block difference.

Garnett also was a much better rebounder, and overall a better defender than McHale. McHales real advantage is how good he was in the post and resulting efficiency on offense.

Good Points, Bball and Fafnir.

Great thing to know that both of these guys played in Green :)

I must say, though - KG in his prime could guard all 5 spots with no problems.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:52:35 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 11:49:01 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Well, the three point shot as well as the game being played at a higher pace in the 80s. I was just pointing out that showing clips of KG blocking 9-10 shots in a game didn't really tip the scales in his favor.

Garnett also was a much better rebounder, and overall a better defender than McHale.

I don't know how accurate either of these statements are. Kevin spent his healthy prime playing in a frontcourt with two other players that were capable of averaging 10+ boards a game where KG never has. Also, while KG is a better team defender McHale was probably a better individual defender. He frequently guarded whoever was the best scorer of the other team's frontcourt. I  don't think KG's been as good at covering centers as McHale was and I'd say the same is true of small forwards.

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

LOL, TP

Yeah - definitely a TP for that one. For Blake to be doing the stuff he is doing OUT OF THE BOX...first year and all......incredible.

All he needs to do is tighten up on that defense....

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Since 1980:

#1) Tim Duncan
#2) Kevin McHale, Kevin Garnett
#4) Karl Malone, Charles Barkley

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner