Author Topic: Greatest power forwards of all time  (Read 38241 times)

Re: Greatest power forwards of all time
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 07:10:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Mister Roy, i'm not so sure that Duncan played majority of times at PF. Since Admiral retired, only legit center on Spurs team was Nesterovic, who logged 20-25 minutes...Last couple of years Duncan partners were Bonner, Blair, McDyess...all PF's. And remember in clutch situations it was Horry at PF and Duncan at C. But i agree with McHale being ahead of Chuck and Mailman...
Peace

Duncan was definitely a hybrid of the two positions, but according to 82games.com, he played more minutes at PF than C in 2003 (the earliest season they have data for), 2004 and 2006.  In 2005, the minutes were split pretty much identically.  From 2007 on, Duncan has been more of a primary center, although he still sees minutes at PF.

I think that pretty much meshes with my recollection.  Duncan has played both positions, but he had his most success at PF.
82games trolls from game logs of ESPN I believer, or something like that. So its positional settings aren't the best. Duncan choosing to call himself a PF likely heavily influences what must be a judgement call by them. (along with listings of ESPN)

I'm not sure how heavily Duncan's choice factors in, if only because in a lot of years Duncan 82games.com has him playing a ton of center minutes, too (just more at PF).  Also, Duncan's preference hasn't changed, but now he's shown playing the majority of his minutes at center.

Also, for most of the years cited, Duncan was playing next to Rasho and/or Nazr Mohammed.  I'd say both of those guys are true centers, as opposed to Duncan, who is a hybrid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 08:37:48 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I go with KG, Duncan is the better leader, but KG has been a PF for his whole career (except maybe some SF time back in the day?)

McHale was phenomenal offensively and defensively under rated. But VERY short peak. When saying greatest of all time - you have to consider how many great years there were.

I can see the argument the other way Duncan, but I think Duncan's titles have too much influence on that perspective - which argue more for rating Popovich over McHale on the GM totem pole.

The thing I like about KG is he can play next to anyone - I'm not sure the same is true for Duncan.

Malone and Barkley are great, but I'm not sure they have the same two way impact as the three above. And I don't really know any of the old school guys, but I have a hard time believing any of the old timers could actually play in the modern NBA.

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I guess I'll go with

McHale
Duncan (didn't he always defend the other team's best big man, which was usually a pf.  And then the other team's best big man usually defended him?  Right?)
Malone
Dennis Rodman
Dirk
Blake Griffin (projection)
KG

and this is just me but I always thought Horace Grant was underrated. Also Antawn Jamison.
Also Tom Gugliota and Christian Laettner

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:08:32 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Duncan
McHale
KG
Barkley
Malone

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Can't argue with anyone mentioned, except for maybe wes unseld. He was a great player but in terms of sheer numbers, guys like Malone and Barkley were more dominant. But, he also has a ring which neither of those two have...Barkley was really, really fun to watch and did the most being that undersized at PF. Listed at 6'6" but generally regarded as 6'4", c'mon! 6'4"!

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 10:07:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Duncan
McHale
Garnett
Malone
Barkley

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 10:08:02 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Offensively, it's a tough call, probably as follows:
Duncan
McHale
Malone
Barkley
KG

Rebounding, Barkley did more to impact a game than any of the above, IMO, and was inch for inch (not pound for pound), the best at the position. 

Defensively, KG gets the nod -- I think the only Defensive Player of the Year award winner of the bunch.

TD - 2 MVP awards
Mailman  -  2 MVP awards
KG - 1 MVP award

Impossible to decide.  Suffice it to say that if you started a team with any of the above, you'd be off to a great start.

Underrating MCHale D
thats why hes waaaay over all

Duncan Rocks
but Mchale Rock and ROlls
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 10:30:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
First, for me Tim Duncan is a center. Period. I don't care if his name is on a forwards all-star ballot, Tim D. is a center. With that said, the 5 greatest PF in the history are Bob Pettit, Kevin McHale, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone and Kevin Garnett.
Would banner #18 bring KG in top spot? I think it should...
Pettit was a great scorer and rebounder but not so good passer and defensive player
McHale was perfect PF. Greatest post moves of all-time, could guard all 3 frontcourt position...
Barkley was unique, lacked the drive of Larry, Magic or MJ to be the best...
Malone was Wilt of PF's. Champions of meaningless games and big time choker...
KG was a beast in Minny, now is finally healthy and i hope can lead us to #18 and his place as the greatest power forward of all-time.
What do you guys thinks?

Duncan is definitely a Power Forward, no question about it, and with that said he is number one of all time when putting talent, winning, and leadership into a combination vote.

Others: Barkley, Mchale, Malone, Garnett
If you're going with talent, winning and leadership, Mchale doesn't take a back seat to Duncan under any circumstances.  Mchale was by far the best offensive player of the bunch.  not even close.  best post moves I've ever seen, period.  (granted my time is Bird's rookie year 'til now)  great jump shooter that increased his distance as he played.  great FT shooter, second only to Bird as their careers wound down.
he always covered the best offensive forward on the other team and almost always shut them down.  Very solid rebounder and shot blocker.  Played on one of the top 3 teams in the league from '81 until '88.  (the other team always being the Lakers and either the Sixers or the Pistons)  He was better than Max by his second year in the league so the fact he didn't start over Max was irrelevant--he finished the game instead of Max most of the time.

I'm not knocking Duncan by any means but Mchale meets your criteria as well as Duncan if not moreso.

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 10:46:08 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
agree with eja that Rodman has to be in the conversation because of the # of titles he ended up with.  Greatest rebounder by size of all time, premier defender and a winner.  If he didn't do the zany offcourt antics he's a 1st ballot hofer
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
agree with eja that Rodman has to be in the conversation because of the # of titles he ended up with.  Greatest rebounder by size of all time, premier defender and a winner.  If he didn't do the zany offcourt antics he's a 1st ballot hofer

I agree with everything you said, but I still don't think that puts Rodman into the top five of all-time.  Rodman won a bunch of titles, but never as a top-two player on his team.

He's as good a defender and rebounder as you'll find, but I think his lack of an offensive game holds him back a bit in terms of all-time rankings.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Read Simmons book of Basketball article on Duncan... He'll will pursuade anything who thinks Duncan isnt the best power forward of all time do think so.

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 11:38:21 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I agree with everything you said, but I still don't think that puts Rodman into the top five of all-time.  Rodman won a bunch of titles, but never as a top-two player on his team.

He's as good a defender and rebounder as you'll find, but I think his lack of an offensive game holds him back a bit in terms of all-time rankings.

you could say the same about Russ, except he was obviously the best player on his team and the leader of his teams (but offense was not his forte)

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 11:40:25 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Read Simmons book of Basketball article on Duncan... He'll will pursuade anything who thinks Duncan isnt the best power forward of all time do think so.

Read me on celticsblog I will pursuade anyone who thinks McHale isnt the best PF ever.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 11:44:44 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Read me on celticsblog I will pursuade anyone who thinks McHale isnt the best PF ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnIifSra3GA

Grace FULL!!

Nice to be back!

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 11:48:17 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnIifSra3GA

Grace FULL!!

and not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ

Nice to be back!