Author Topic: Luka Doncic Grant Hill comparison  (Read 4606 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Grant Hill comparison
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 10:47:00 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Luka is Evan Turner with great 3 point shooting, and better court vision. Both have similar height, length and athleticism. 

Brad would love him.

TP. I think that’s a very good comparison.

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 11:01:16 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Brandon Roy

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Brandon Roy

I wish Luka could just decapitate guys like healthy, prime Brandon Roy used to
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Brandon Roy

I don't see Roy, Hill, Penny as Doncic's comparisons simply cause they were athletic freaks.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 12:14:11 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
What I remember most about Havlicek was his motor, just non stop all the time.  I don't recall him having the playmaking skill that Doncic has.  He was a good passer, but not elite.  Great defender.  Not seeing him as a good comp. 

Nobody likes my Ginobli comp for Doncic?
Manu is my favorite player.
When I first saw him in Kinder, my first impression was - Whoa! He is fast! He jumps like a brother! The Motor! And he has team oriented game!  I was blow away. Love at first sight.
But he is a lefty and that is a special, counter intuitive trick. He scored so many of his baskets in his career that way. Luka doesn't seem to posses such go-to scoring move. I don't think he ever will and that is not a knock on him, just a stylistic thing. He might end up as productive. And that would be a 1st ballot HOF level of player.
Luka's length is another thing that separates them. Those couple of inches, paired with similar elite vision and BBIQ produce extra possibilities. More good weird angles. Fine examples would be: Magic, LBJ, Bird, Euro-Kukoč. They could all drive and dish it. And to maximize the concept: Nikola Jokić! Centers like Sabas, Ćosić (Croatias 1st HOFer) and Walton did it purely in the half court and on outlets from what I've seen.

There are many similarities though.
Their BBIQ, knowing how to set the tempo of the game. Nice stroke. Manu shoots with his legs almost glued the floor from down town. Only great dribbles can allow themselves that (Harden). I expect Luke to posses the same freedom. And that he will use that stepback more often, as he develops. Manu has is Grand-mastered. Their vision is similar. Dončić will have even more passes in his repertoire. The game is simply evolving each year.
I think both of them have that fantastic motor. All-in, all the time. Ultra competitive and they won't/didn't stop after 1st championship nor 3rd. I personally adore that trait. Manu was clearly more explosive. Both have great, long last step. Even now Ginobili, in his 40ies, can still drive (left) and dunk it. Luka...I wouldn't bet that he could.

I hope I added some value to your comparison.

Now more than 20 years later I first saw Manu, I watched a Spurs game the other day.
Guess what? Manu scores a layup. They still don't know that he is going left. :D
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I'm not a big fan of plain player comps.

What I try to do when watching college games is to figure out what role a prospect could play in the NBA on offense, who they defend on D, who plays that role with similar physical attributes, and who plays that role with a similar skill set. This is rough and with out a ton of thought. Just quickly comped a few top end prospects

Doncic,

Role: secondary ball handler

Defense: non elite wings

Physical comp: Hayward

Skill Comp: tough to tell maybe Batum?

Ayton

Role: Offensive focal point

Defense: project 5 defender

physical comp: Deandre Jordan

Skill Comp:Embiid

Bagely

Role: post dive man and transition scorer

Defense: project 4/5 defender not rim protector

physical comp: young Amare

Skill Comp: Bosch

Bamba

Role: P&R dive man

Defense: elite rim protector at 5

physical comp: longer Nerlens Noel

Skill Comp: Myles Turner

Jared Jackson

Role: 3-D 4/5

Defense: 4/5 defender who provides rim protection

physical comp: Bosch

Skill comp: Ibaka

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

With the list you provided, I would want jared Jackson.

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 09:09:32 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

With the list you provided, I would want jared Jackson.

I agree that I would love to see Jackson as a celtics but based on ceiling he shouldn't go before Ayton ,Bagely, Bamba, or Doncic. With out an amazing end of rest of college season he should also stay behind Porter and Young.  Its early but i would tier this draft as

Tier 1
Ayton

Tier 2
Bagely
Bamba
Doncic

Tier 3
Young
Porter (if 100% healthy he is tier 2)

Tier 4
Jackson
Sexton
Bridges
Bridges

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 10:01:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

No you're right. He's actually pretty bulky for a tallish guard. He can bang on the drive, but also show really nice feel for getting up funky shots; runners, floaters, leaners. Super high floor.

Not sure who the best comparison is...  :-\

Grant Hill comp. is off IMO, he is closer to Penny if we are going in that direction.
There is no one quite like him, it is a very ungrateful task to compare him.

The closest one IMO is Toni Kukoč while he was playing in Europe.
Toni didn't operate as much in the PNR (there was less PNR action back then) and was a lefty. When Toni was his age he was tearing Europe apart just like Luka does now, he was also a Point forward back then in Yugoplastika and Benetton.
During Chicago years, due to triangle offense and having MJ on the team, his time with the ball in his hands diminished greatly. People in the States mostly remember Toni from his bulkier Chicago days, where they've put additional 20/25 lbs on him, and that made him basically a big and not a guard/wing.
Toni didn't put people in jail like Luka does, but Toni was great at posting up.
I guess that is the difference between the eras they played in. Luka is a PNR maestro, Toni was a post up threat (it was easy to find a mismatch for him), both are unselfish, have flair and great passing vision. Luka is more feisty, Toni was more phlegmatic (Dalmatians usually are).

Some vids for a better understanding of what I'm writing about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoe6tHD5mE - in Yugoplastika, watch after 5:15 mark, nice dunk at 7:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NKKnsbKRJQ - Toni (Bennetton) showing us floaters vs Real (Sabonis)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18tfKA57D0 - Benetton vs Estudiantes, playing more as a forward.
Again Penny was more or less like Grant Hill in terms of athleticism and he was long, fast and explosive. Don't think Doncic comes close in those categories. Believe we had a similar conversation about the absurdity of comparing Doncic to such players too (not to say he's bad, just saying he's not going to be your long and athletic forward that can jump out of the gym while handling the ball like a PG) :laugh:. Agree with the Kukoc comps, btw anything to say about my comp of a poor man's Hondo that's less athletic?
I don't have that much insight on Hondo. I'm too young, I didn't have him on my NT and fewer vids are available. Surely here on CB there must be many guys/girls that saw him play many times. The question is did they watch Luka enough to make a comparison.
Ah. Well I'm a teenager, just watched games and old tape.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 10:05:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
What I remember most about Havlicek was his motor, just non stop all the time.  I don't recall him having the playmaking skill that Doncic has.  He was a good passer, but not elite.  Great defender.  Not seeing him as a good comp. 

Nobody likes my Ginobli comp for Doncic?
Ah forgot say modern version of Hondo with a lower motor and worse defense+athleticism (think Hondo would've been a great playmaker nowadays in the modern game)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 10:10:28 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
The small forward version of Drazen Petrovic (RIP)?
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens