Author Topic: Age limit change unlikely before 2022  (Read 952 times)

Age limit change unlikely before 2022
« on: July 23, 2018, 04:08:48 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Hey all,

I just heard this, apologies if it has been posted elsewhere.

https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Report-NBA-draft-age-limit-not-expected-to-change-before-2022-119800685/

Does this impact us at all? It seems to lower the trade value of 2020 and 2021 picks which I feel like teams were being stingy with for that reason. 

Re: Age limit change unlikely before 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Hey all,

https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Report-NBA-draft-age-limit-not-expected-to-change-before-2022-119800685/

Does this impact us at all? It seems to lower the trade value of 2020 and 2021 picks which I feel like teams were being stingy with for that reason.

It’s been mentioned, although not in a specific thread I don’t think.  Teams in general are being stingier with picks, and I don’t think I ever heard a credible report that would have made teams focus on the 2020 draft.   I honestly don’t expect it to be solved during this CBA.  It’s a thorny issue, and with the CBA running to 2024, it feels like something that will get punted to be negotiated with all the other issues.

What gets overlooked in this discussion is that the NBA already has a policy in the CBA that allows drafted players to return to school before signing a contract, and that the simplest solution to the one-and-done problem is for the NCAA to allow this.  If the NCAA changes their policy, I think it would be a lot easier for the NBA to tailor small changes, rather than coming up with a completely new solution that could get torpedoed by the NCAA anyway.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 05:10:53 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Hey all,

It’s been mentioned, although not in a specific thread I don’t think.  Teams in general are being stingier with picks, and I don’t think I ever heard a credible report that would have made teams focus on the 2020 draft.   I honestly don’t expect it to be solved during this CBA.  It’s a thorny issue, and with the CBA running to 2024, it feels like something that will get punted to be negotiated with all the other issues.

What gets overlooked in this discussion is that the NBA already has a policy in the CBA that allows drafted players to return to school before signing a contract, and that the simplest solution to the one-and-done problem is for the NCAA to allow this.  If the NCAA changes their policy, I think it would be a lot easier for the NBA to tailor small changes, rather than coming up with a completely new solution that could get torpedoed by the NCAA anyway.

I thought that I had heard it on that Miami Pick that was traded at the draft, that it was considered gold because it would be the first year all the high schoolers would go making it a better draft. I had also thought I had read some talking about our potential picks on here.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 05:14:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Hey all,

I thought that I had heard it on that Miami Pick that was traded at the draft, that it was considered gold because it would be the first year all the high schoolers would go making it a better draft. I had also thought I had read some talking about our potential picks on here.

The Miami pick is 2021, and the public info at draft time was “no earlier than 2021 or 2022”, which at best sounded like an okay chance for a draft bumper crop, but not something to plan around.