Author Topic: Gerry Callahan Kills Manny on his way out  (Read 21604 times)

Gerry Callahan Kills Manny on his way out
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Gerry Callahan Kills Manny on his way out
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:07:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Typical Callahan.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Ya, but i think its pretty dead on.  Nobody can contest what he is saying as not fact.  I mean sure he's harsh, but he has been saying it for a long time so its not like he is jumping on a bandwagon.  Cant fault the guy for expressing his opinions
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Ya, but i think its pretty dead on.  Nobody can contest what he is saying as not fact.  I mean sure he's harsh, but he has been saying it for a long time so its not like he is jumping on a bandwagon.  Cant fault the guy for expressing his opinions
Yeah, but Callahan prescribes to that philosophy that "if you can't say anything negative about something, then don't say anything at all" and after a while, or in his case years, it starts to blend into the same sickening look at everything.

Manny is bad for this team right now. But he was good for this team for a good amount of time in this town. Why does Callahan, as always, have to focus on things that don't matter sometimes. Manny doesn't do charity work. That puts him into a very large group of people, celebrities, athletes, and common people alike. Manny didn't go see the President. I can't say I blame him.

But that stuff isn't his job. He messed up and slacked at his job sometimes but for the most part he did his job and did it better than anyone. He is one of the reasons Callahan isn't writing about curses.

I think it was time for Manny to go but let's not focus solely on the vitriolic crap that Callahan wants to constantly rehash because for the most part, Manny put smiles on our faces not frowns.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:50:48 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I agree with the sentiment of the article except for 2 points:

1 - There are narcissists everywhere, not just in sports. No doubt, narcissism is more common in sports since the confidence it gives is helpful to athletes so the narcissists might have a statistically better chance of succeeding, but you can run into narcissists like Manny all over the place. The difference with him is he has no interest in keeping up appearances.

2 - The hitting gap between Manny and Bay is a rather larger gulf. The article underplays Manny's hitting greatness.

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Let the "bum" go!!!!  He even had the audacity (as a Dominican Republican) to shun THE PRESIDENT of the United States!  His disrespect for the game was reflective of his disrespect for this nation (which made him wealthy and provided a platform for his many antics).

Of course we admired his hitting...but in the grand scheme was he EVER a role model for the sport? He played when he felt like playing and at other times went on vacation...just to show who was in charge and to insure that Manny would "always get his way...

His legacy should be ...A skilled hitter whose only contribution to America's Game was hitting and little else...  Too bad the HOF doesn't include character flaws as a criterion for admission....

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
How much do you think I could fetch on eBay for my Ramirez replica jersey?  :-\

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
This article is part of the smear campaign by the Red Sox.

I'm sure GC had no problem writing this article up and was very glad to do so.

Point here is, no matter how many sick children Jason Varitek visits, I still cringe when he's up at bat.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 10:28:15 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Let the "bum" go!!!!  He even had the audacity (as a Dominican Republican) to shun THE PRESIDENT of the United States!  His disrespect for the game was reflective of his disrespect for this nation (which made him wealthy and provided a platform for his many antics).

Of course we admired his hitting...but in the grand scheme was he EVER a role model for the sport? He played when he felt like playing and at other times went on vacation...just to show who was in charge and to insure that Manny would "always get his way...

His legacy should be ...A skilled hitter whose only contribution to America's Game was hitting and little else...  Too bad the HOF doesn't include character flaws as a criterion for admission....
Manny is now American.

Since when has Manny been disrespectful of this country? He didn't go visit the President, so what. Do you think he is the first to decide to turn down a Presidential invite?

And since when is it a prerequisite to be a role model of the game in order to play the game. Manny never passed himself off as anything other than what he was. And he contributed to this team's winning ways as much as the next player and more in some cases.

Don't like the guy and/or his game? Fine. But don't make stuff up about him being disrespectful to this country. He became an American citizen and seemed [dang] proud of it the times it has been brought up.

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Honestly, that was my thought, as well.  I loved Manny, because he was a tremendous hitter.  Literally, one of the best of all-time.  However, if it wasn't for that offensive skill, I think I would have hated him as a player.

The recent antics by Manny really left me with a sour taste.  Throwing down an elderly employee over something as trivial as ticket allocation?  Skipping a visit to sick kids?  Taking at-bats, and even full games, off?    I have a hard time defending that any more, and if Callahan wants to take a few rips, he's entitled.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:43:02 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I'm not a Callahan fan by any means, but I can't disagree with him here.  Manny's crossed too many lines this season.  If we end up not making a run at the World Series we can put the majority of the blame on Manny and Boras.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 10:48:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Honestly, that was my thought, as well.  I loved Manny, because he was a tremendous hitter.  Literally, one of the best of all-time.  However, if it wasn't for that offensive skill, I think I would have hated him as a player.

The recent antics by Manny really left me with a sour taste.  Throwing down an elderly employee over something as trivial as ticket allocation?  Skipping a visit to sick kids?  Taking at-bats, and even full games, off?    I have a hard time defending that any more, and if Callahan wants to take a few rips, he's entitled.
Honestly, I do agree with you Roy, for the most part.

Manny recently has angered a lot of people, myself included, and has done some distatseful stuff. He should have been run out of town, he deserved it. But just because we are angry with him now doesn't mean we only have to look back at stuff and slam the guy. He did a lot of good stuff for this team and the fans as well.

Lastly, I don't slam guys for not doing charity work. Would I sure, I have and I have contributed monetarily as well. Most people don't do charity stuff. Are we going to condemn all those people too? I definitely think it says something about the guy but it doesn't make him any different than hundreds or thousands of other rich people who don't do it who aren't getting slammed for it.

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 10:55:31 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I'm not a Callahan fan by any means, but I can't disagree with him here.  Manny's crossed too many lines this season.  If we end up not making a run at the World Series we can put the majority of the blame on Manny and Boras.

I disagree.  I think that luxury was taken away when we traded him.  This team is still talented engough to make a run at the title.  If we kept Manny and he just went through the motions to finish out the season and we lost, then some blame could be put on him.  Now, we are free from his distractions and poor team work.  If they don't win the title, it just means they couldn't get it done.  It happens to all but one team every year.

What makes me mad is that the Sox needed some bullpen help, and I'm afraid Theo didn't have time to make any deals in that regard because the Manny situation monopolized his time.

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »

Offline klg05

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3

I disagree.  I think that luxury was taken away when we traded him.  This team is still talented engough to make a run at the title.  If we kept Manny and he just went through the motions to finish out the season and we lost, then some blame could be put on him.  Now, we are free from his distractions and poor team work.  If they don't win the title, it just means they couldn't get it done.  It happens to all but one team every year.

What makes me mad is that the Sox needed some bullpen help, and I'm afraid Theo didn't have time to make any deals in that regard because the Manny situation monopolized his time.

I think bullpen help can be had even now over the waiver wire.  I think Theo felt the Manny deal HAD to get done yesterday.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 11:23:10 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

well, i can in context, not to be political, just to how how ridiculous he is, yesterday he compared manny's sabatage of the red sox to what a certain canadite would do to the nation.

D & C: where thinly veiled racisim happens (and not so thinley vieled that you get suspended for)

I actually enjoyed haggerty and felger this morning in thier slots, as in typical fashion, good ol' gerry didn't show up to work after a contriversal article. he let felger and haggerty deal with the angry phone calls. pretty standered stuff for WEEI. pulled a maz, as we say.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion