Author Topic: Another win w/o a pouting Rondo  (Read 19877 times)

Re: Another win w/o a pouting Rondo
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2013, 02:49:42 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I feel so bad for Rondo.

He laid it out for this team. Won with this team, essentially the best player on this team and yet people are still hating on him and his style of play.

People might say we're better off without Rondo, I believe the Captain disagrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4aSfjV6lTk

One question for everyone, when Rondo was healthy and everybody stepped up like they are stepping up now (Jet hitting his shots, Green scoring, everyone playing with effort and energy) how much games would we lose?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I know that this is a basketball discussion board, but seriously, wait until the playoffs come to assess whether this team is better without Rondo.  I have a strong feeling these silly threads will disappear when it's all said and done.

I don't think the Celts will go far in the Playoffs with or without Rondo. I don't like the Celts against Miami or NY. Indy would be a better fit for the 1st round. Trade the often injured Rondo. He certainly won't make it back this Season. Enjoy the Team for what it is. Better without Rondo. Dennis Johnson knew how to play point as a mediocre guard. He got rid of the ball asap to Bird, McHale or the Chief. They got paid more than him for a reason. Rondo never got that point. Allen knew it was useless running around like a maniac waiting for Rondo to spoon feed his lazer like shooting. So he flew the coup for less $$. This was supposed to be a pass the ball up the court, not dribble up through double teams wasting time. Pierce KG and Allen took more punishment then warranted. End of Seasons, nothing left in the tank. That was Doc's fault because he couldn't control Rondo. Rondo's qualities are speed and court vision, however, between the ears is a partial vacuum.
Your entire post's credibility was lost calling Dennis Johnson "a mediocre guard" who just "got rid of the ball asap to Bird, McHale or the Chief."

Clearly, you know not of what you speak if you think Dennis Johnson was just some middle of the road guard.

Nice new logo nick. I like this one alot more.

« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
That video proves nothing yoki. First of all it was the very first game he didn't play. Secondly even if everyone in that locker room liked this celtics team more without rondo of course they wouldn't let that be known to the media.

« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I do think we should cool off on the rondo talk completely until after the season. Rondo is not apart of this years celtics team. Hes not important right now.

« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I know that this is a basketball discussion board, but seriously, wait until the playoffs come to assess whether this team is better without Rondo.  I have a strong feeling these silly threads will disappear when it's all said and done.

I don't think the Celts will go far in the Playoffs with or without Rondo. I don't like the Celts against Miami or NY. Indy would be a better fit for the 1st round. Trade the often injured Rondo. He certainly won't make it back this Season. Enjoy the Team for what it is. Better without Rondo. Dennis Johnson knew how to play point as a mediocre guard. He got rid of the ball asap to Bird, McHale or the Chief. They got paid more than him for a reason. Rondo never got that point. Allen knew it was useless running around like a maniac waiting for Rondo to spoon feed his lazer like shooting. So he flew the coup for less $$. This was supposed to be a pass the ball up the court, not dribble up through double teams wasting time. Pierce KG and Allen took more punishment then warranted. End of Seasons, nothing left in the tank. That was Doc's fault because he couldn't control Rondo. Rondo's qualities are speed and court vision, however, between the ears is a partial vacuum.

You lost me at DJ "as a mediocre point guard". If he's mediocre then I don't know what to call the other starting PG's in that era.

Ray got his shots, if anything he's the first option on offense. The play runs on him, so for him to say that he didn't get the ball from Rondo is wrong.

Also, have you seen how Tony Parker and Kyrie Irving play? They pretty much similar, the only difference is they shoot the ball more than Rondo does. But they all run through screens until they get to the lane and decide after. No one seems to be complaining in what they do.

And no, we're not better without Rondo. One thing most folks don't realize, outside of Paul, no one in this team can PENETRATE to the rim effectively. Rondo gives us that, he finds open people in doing so as well. Not his fault the guys we're shooting bricks when he was healthy, otherwise we could have won more games.

« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
That video proves nothing yoki. First of all it was the very first game he didn't play. Secondly even if everyone in that locker room liked this celtics team more without rondo of course they wouldn't let that be known to the media.

It doesn't prove nothing? Did you see Pierce scratch his head staring blankly in the stands looking like he's thinking "oh boy, we're in trouble"? The face tells it all. I mean no disrespect but you gotta be kidding me...

« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2013, 03:09:24 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

Your entire post's credibility was lost calling Dennis Johnson "a mediocre guard" who just "got rid of the ball asap to Bird, McHale or the Chief."

Clearly, you know not of what you speak if you think Dennis Johnson was just some middle of the road guard.

http://www.celticstown.com/2011/06/29/scalabrine-rondo-is-the-smartest-player-ive-ever-played-with/

I honestly don't know how anyone who has watched him play, or listened/read to any good writers, players, coaches etc. could say that there is a vacuum between Rondo's ears. Though, as Nick pointed out, if your idea of a mediocre PG is Dennis Johnson I am reading with one incredibly large grain of salt.

« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

It doesn't prove nothing? Did you see Pierce scratch his head staring blankly in the stands looking like he's thinking "oh boy, we're in trouble"? The face tells it all. I mean no disrespect but you gotta be kidding me...

He looked shocked to me and upset for his teammate. He didn't at all look like "Oh boy we're in trouble" I guess if you really wanted the video to look that way i can kinda see how you would say that but I don't see it without reaching.

« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2013, 03:42:09 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I'm talking about the early 2000's mavs that were amazing offensively and got to the conference finals. They had a seriously good point guard in steve nash, but were like 9th or 10th one year and around 14th the next for assists.

My point was that one player or a team getting lots of assists doesn't necessarily mean that you have a good offense. It is a result of the system you're running. The large assist numbers by rondo lead to some fans (especially on here) overrating what he means to a team's overall offensive production. Of course he is a benefit because he is a great player, but high numbers of assists to rondo don't necessarily lead to high offensive production from his teammates.

I was never knocking rondo at all. All I'm saying is that he benefits from a system and so do his numbers.

This is true.  The greatest number that the Rondo homers completely fail to acknowledge is our assist numbers as a team with and without Rondo.  People talk about how many extra baskets are created by his 11 assists a game, but that is a gross exhageration.  Why?  Because last I checked we only average 3 assists more as a team when Rondo is player as opposed to when he isn't.

What does that mean?  It means that when Rondo isn't here we have a lot of other skilled playmakers who collect all of those assists that Rondo isn't getting, so the vast majority (70%) of Rondo's assists are being made by other guys instead.  What happens if Rondo plays?  He records 11 assists, but the rest of the team collectively records 8 assists less because the ball is ALWAYS in Rondo's hands.

Yes that doesn't change the fact that we are 3 assists per game better with Rondo out there (and hence the team DOES generate more assists with him than without him).  But what it shows is that Rondo's "critical importance" to the teams passing game is clearly way overblown.  If we traded Rondo out for a guy who can give us 5 or 6 assists per game without having the ball in his hands 80% of the time, then we probably wouldn't be producing any fewer assists as a team.

Last year around mod-season some Wizards fan decided that Wall was as good a passer as Rondo but the Wizards were just worse shooters than the Celts and their poor shooting cost him a lot of assists. He looked at all of the Wall passes that led directly to a shot or a turnover when there would have been a shot if not for the turnover and compared that to their efficiency aside from that (makes / (misses + turnovers)) ignoring possessions that led to free throws.

They found that the scoring efficiency from Wall's passes was 44%, the efficiency from all other plays was 35%, and that 9% difference was just over the expected average from an 82games study. They did the same comparison for Rondo and found that while the efficiency from the non-Rondo passes was about the same as the Wizards 35%, the scoring efficiency from Rondo's passes was 56%. the 21% jump was over twice the jump seen by Wall and about 2.5 times the league average.

So while the team is only getting a few less assists a game without Rondo, it will probably take more possessions to get those assisted baskets. Just compare Rondo to Wall, who seems to be average in how efficient his passes are. Rondo gets 11 assists a game. From his 56% efficiency it would take almost 20 possessions (shots or turnovers) to get those 11 baskets. At Wall's 44% conversion rate it would take 25 possessions to get 11 assists.

It's not just the assists you need to look at, it's how efficiently we score off of Rondo's passes.

I don't think rondo being clever and a brilliant executor of passes was ever called into question. A statistic like the one above just feeds the beast of "rondo only passes when he knows he'll get an assist" though. Not saying I'm part of that beast but rondo does benefit from being given the license to hold or dribble the ball for however long it takes during the possession until he does get an assist.

What I said was completely unrelated to "rondo only passes when he knows he'll get an assist". And while it's true that Rondo benefits from having the ball in his hands it's also true that the team benefits from Rondo having the ball in his hands. Look at any good offensive player, wouldn't you say that they benefit from having the ball as much or being allowed to shoot as much as they do?

This has been a very effective system in previous years but this year's personnel seem to benefit greatly from playing without that restriction on them.

I'd still say that's somewhat overblown. If you look at the team in January (aside from Rondo playing hurt) Paul and Terry were both shooting poorly due to injuries, Wilcox was out of the lineup and Green (still getting healthier/re-acclimated to playing) was playing well in spurts but not as consistent.

If you look at the offense since Rondo's been out, with Paul and Terry being healthy and playing well, Green playing better than we've ever seen him play in Boston, Wilcox taking Collins' minutes and the guards playing well you'd have to admit that we're close to firing on all cylinders right now. But then consider that the Rondo-less team, while playing about as good as you could expect them to on offense, aren't playing that much better than when our best offensive players were struggling due to injuries. Couple that with the thought that out of our 15 opponents since Rondo left only *3* teams played better than average defense (and remember how we looked against the Bulls last month). Then consider that our best offensive play this year came in the first month or so of the season when Rondo was healthy and controlling the ball. It's easy to argue that, while a player or two benefit from Rondo being out the team as a whole doesn't.

As I have said previously in above quotes, obviously the team as a whole will suffer when rondo is out because, overall, he is a very good player and he has some great qualities. That said with such a ball dominant point guard that accumulates the sort of stat lines that rondo does, I expected the drop off in offensive production to be much larger than is currently the case after his injury.

You only had to look at the clippers without Chris Paul to see what sort of a shambles their offense was without him. Whilst the clippers went on an immediate losing skid with Paul out, the celtics seem to have trended in the opposite direction, even whilst missing a seriously good contributor in sully. You can attribute this to players having niggling injuries and not being 100% fit while rondo was there if you want, but personally I think that's a bit of a cop out.

My point all along was that rondo, whilst being an all-star does benefit greatly from HOW the celtics play offensively, especially in the assist column. Observing how good Paul, Kevin and Jeff are at executing offensively makes you go "huh, maybe one of the best passers in the game SHOULD be getting 10 assists a game without much trouble, and maybe we shouldn't be making such a big deal out of it."

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2013, 04:10:29 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Rondo is an extremely great player, just not a great fit for this team. I have always stood by & remain standing by that statement for 3+ years now.

The championship season was really Sam Cassell & Eddie House running the point. Rondo's offensive liability really hurt the team. Since 2008 Rondo has improved dramatically well. The problem with Rondo is his ball dominance, & reluctance to think push & try to score 1st before setting up. This team & the ones in the past never needed such a point guard but were all forced to accept the system of play that Doc designed. Its really Doc & Rondo's fault.

Rondo most likely will be traded next year. I don't see the use for him anymore especially if we're still able to play consistent ball (even better) with the core currently in use. Danny isn't going to keep Rondo next year, not with the owners preaching that they like how this team is playing right now (secret coded: since Rondo went down). Rondo will be a Laker next year & D12 will be a Celtic after the sign & trade.

« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2013, 04:30:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The championship season was really Sam Cassell & Eddie House running the point.

That's an absolutely absurd statement. Cassell and House combined to total 146/37/43 and 13 steals in 430 minutes. Rondo went for a total of 266/107/172 and 45 steals in 830 minutes. Did you even see those playoffs?

« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I'm talking about the early 2000's mavs that were amazing offensively and got to the conference finals. They had a seriously good point guard in steve nash, but were like 9th or 10th one year and around 14th the next for assists.

My point was that one player or a team getting lots of assists doesn't necessarily mean that you have a good offense. It is a result of the system you're running. The large assist numbers by rondo lead to some fans (especially on here) overrating what he means to a team's overall offensive production. Of course he is a benefit because he is a great player, but high numbers of assists to rondo don't necessarily lead to high offensive production from his teammates.

I was never knocking rondo at all. All I'm saying is that he benefits from a system and so do his numbers.

This is true.  The greatest number that the Rondo homers completely fail to acknowledge is our assist numbers as a team with and without Rondo.  People talk about how many extra baskets are created by his 11 assists a game, but that is a gross exhageration.  Why?  Because last I checked we only average 3 assists more as a team when Rondo is player as opposed to when he isn't.

What does that mean?  It means that when Rondo isn't here we have a lot of other skilled playmakers who collect all of those assists that Rondo isn't getting, so the vast majority (70%) of Rondo's assists are being made by other guys instead.  What happens if Rondo plays?  He records 11 assists, but the rest of the team collectively records 8 assists less because the ball is ALWAYS in Rondo's hands.

Yes that doesn't change the fact that we are 3 assists per game better with Rondo out there (and hence the team DOES generate more assists with him than without him).  But what it shows is that Rondo's "critical importance" to the teams passing game is clearly way overblown.  If we traded Rondo out for a guy who can give us 5 or 6 assists per game without having the ball in his hands 80% of the time, then we probably wouldn't be producing any fewer assists as a team.

Last year around mod-season some Wizards fan decided that Wall was as good a passer as Rondo but the Wizards were just worse shooters than the Celts and their poor shooting cost him a lot of assists. He looked at all of the Wall passes that led directly to a shot or a turnover when there would have been a shot if not for the turnover and compared that to their efficiency aside from that (makes / (misses + turnovers)) ignoring possessions that led to free throws.

They found that the scoring efficiency from Wall's passes was 44%, the efficiency from all other plays was 35%, and that 9% difference was just over the expected average from an 82games study. They did the same comparison for Rondo and found that while the efficiency from the non-Rondo passes was about the same as the Wizards 35%, the scoring efficiency from Rondo's passes was 56%. the 21% jump was over twice the jump seen by Wall and about 2.5 times the league average.

So while the team is only getting a few less assists a game without Rondo, it will probably take more possessions to get those assisted baskets. Just compare Rondo to Wall, who seems to be average in how efficient his passes are. Rondo gets 11 assists a game. From his 56% efficiency it would take almost 20 possessions (shots or turnovers) to get those 11 baskets. At Wall's 44% conversion rate it would take 25 possessions to get 11 assists.

It's not just the assists you need to look at, it's how efficiently we score off of Rondo's passes.

I don't think rondo being clever and a brilliant executor of passes was ever called into question. A statistic like the one above just feeds the beast of "rondo only passes when he knows he'll get an assist" though. Not saying I'm part of that beast but rondo does benefit from being given the license to hold or dribble the ball for however long it takes during the possession until he does get an assist.

What I said was completely unrelated to "rondo only passes when he knows he'll get an assist". And while it's true that Rondo benefits from having the ball in his hands it's also true that the team benefits from Rondo having the ball in his hands. Look at any good offensive player, wouldn't you say that they benefit from having the ball as much or being allowed to shoot as much as they do?

This has been a very effective system in previous years but this year's personnel seem to benefit greatly from playing without that restriction on them.

I'd still say that's somewhat overblown. If you look at the team in January (aside from Rondo playing hurt) Paul and Terry were both shooting poorly due to injuries, Wilcox was out of the lineup and Green (still getting healthier/re-acclimated to playing) was playing well in spurts but not as consistent.

If you look at the offense since Rondo's been out, with Paul and Terry being healthy and playing well, Green playing better than we've ever seen him play in Boston, Wilcox taking Collins' minutes and the guards playing well you'd have to admit that we're close to firing on all cylinders right now. But then consider that the Rondo-less team, while playing about as good as you could expect them to on offense, aren't playing that much better than when our best offensive players were struggling due to injuries. Couple that with the thought that out of our 15 opponents since Rondo left only *3* teams played better than average defense (and remember how we looked against the Bulls last month). Then consider that our best offensive play this year came in the first month or so of the season when Rondo was healthy and controlling the ball. It's easy to argue that, while a player or two benefit from Rondo being out the team as a whole doesn't.

As I have said previously in above quotes, obviously the team as a whole will suffer when rondo is out because, overall, he is a very good player and he has some great qualities. That said with such a ball dominant point guard that accumulates the sort of stat lines that rondo does, I expected the drop off in offensive production to be much larger than is currently the case after his injury.

You only had to look at the clippers without Chris Paul to see what sort of a shambles their offense was without him. Whilst the clippers went on an immediate losing skid with Paul out, the celtics seem to have trended in the opposite direction, even whilst missing a seriously good contributor in sully. You can attribute this to players having niggling injuries and not being 100% fit while rondo was there if you want, but personally I think that's a bit of a cop out.

If you just look at PP and Jet they're taking combining for 7 more points on 2 more shots since Rondo's been out. That's the difference between being 25th in offense and being 9th. Again, it's not the only reason we've been better but ignoring it seems a little silly.

My point all along was that rondo, whilst being an all-star does benefit greatly from HOW the celtics play offensively, especially in the assist column. Observing how good Paul, Kevin and Jeff are at executing offensively makes you go "huh, maybe one of the best passers in the game SHOULD be getting 10 assists a game without much trouble, and maybe we shouldn't be making such a big deal out of it."

I'd say the opposite is true. If you look at the Celts teams over the last few years PP/KG/RA combine to average more assists than almost any other 2-3-4 grouping in the league (clearly LeBron's teams would likely be better, but that's about it). When Rondo passes the ball to one of the main scorers on his team they're more likely to pass instead of shoot than the scorers on other teams. If Rondo's passes are less likely to end up as a shot it's hard to claim it's easier for him to get assists.

« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2013, 04:54:48 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
That post, including the phrase "Dennis Johnson mediocre point guard"  has to go into a top ten post hall of shame here.

Its was nice to have a reason to think about how great he was again. I was usually begging for him to take the last shot, as he was as fearless and clutch as Larry. I loved those line drive jumpers that would rattle down in the last few minutes of the game. Probably nearly as great a defender as Chaney who I'd have on a first team all defense team. And lead a Sonics team to a title before getting to Boston, averaging 23-6-6 for the series. And named Finals MVP

My positioning DJ as mediocre was wrong. Upgraded to *Good*

Now, DJ as clutch as LB, not in a lifetime!

« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
don't pay alot of attention to Rondos absence anymore,  the team looks so much better most of the time , but not always . Rondo had his great moments.

I really miss Sully's play,  I like the Bigs and watching the battles underneath the rim,  and really liked what Barbosa did .

for me Rondo is just trade bait for a star impact Big...... like Milsap , ect...

« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2013, 05:27:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
That post, including the phrase "Dennis Johnson mediocre point guard"  has to go into a top ten post hall of shame here.

Its was nice to have a reason to think about how great he was again. I was usually begging for him to take the last shot, as he was as fearless and clutch as Larry. I loved those line drive jumpers that would rattle down in the last few minutes of the game. Probably nearly as great a defender as Chaney who I'd have on a first team all defense team. And lead a Sonics team to a title before getting to Boston, averaging 23-6-6 for the series. And named Finals MVP

My positioning DJ as mediocre was wrong. Upgraded to *Good*

Now, DJ as clutch as LB, not in a lifetime!

DJ was a great clutch player who's deservedly in the hall of fame. He was significantly better than you think he was.