Author Topic: Why do people care so much about Tatum for MVP?  (Read 2403 times)

Re: Why do people care so much about Tatum for MVP?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 12:37:52 PM »

Online Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I can't speak for anyone lese, but one of the narratives around championship teams is "you need a top3-5 player to win."

As a fan I think I am looking for confirmation from external (supposedly more informed) sources validating that what I see in Tatum and the team is real and not the 2015 Hawks. It's basically rooted in my insecurities.

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 01:18:17 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 179
Dallas doesn't make the playoffs without Luka, but with him? They're a play-in team with him. It's not like he's going to take them anywhere. As great of a player as he is, his stats are a bit hollow to me.

If I had a vote honestly and not as a fan, it would probably be for Jokic or Freak.

That’s all well and good but if Luka played in the east I have a feeling things would be a little different.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 01:27:30 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 990
Dallas doesn't make the playoffs without Luka, but with him? They're a play-in team with him. It's not like he's going to take them anywhere. As great of a player as he is, his stats are a bit hollow to me.

If I had a vote honestly and not as a fan, it would probably be for Jokic or Freak.

That’s all well and good but if Luka played in the east I have a feeling things would be a little different.

Is Boston not in the East?  We just saw what happened on Friday, correct?  Or yesterday vs. Philly?  Or last week against Indiana?

Also, Dallas is 21-18 vs. the West and 13-11 vs. the East — it’s not materially different.  Their record would be good for 8th in the East today, same as it is in the West.  They’d be a lot more clear of the 9 spot, but they’re not a playoff lock in either conference.

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 03:27:59 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I don't care at all really other than its annoying than the conversation around Tatum is annoying and him getting MVP would shut a lot of people up. Like how is the "he's not clutch" talking point still a thing?

I don't think he's the MVP this year, so I'm not going to get too worked up about it. Ultimately what he does in the playoffs will matter a lot more to his legacy and image than winning MVP.

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2024, 04:45:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Is Boston not in the East?  We just saw what happened on Friday, correct?  Or yesterday vs. Philly?  Or last week against Indiana?

Also, Dallas is 21-18 vs. the West and 13-11 vs. the East — it’s not materially different.  Their record would be good for 8th in the East today, same as it is in the West.  They’d be a lot more clear of the 9 spot, but they’re not a playoff lock in either conference.

Well said, pretty tough to argue things would be different if they played in the East than they actually perform against the East.

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2024, 04:55:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715
I think we all want a championship much more than seeing any Celtic win an individual award, and thankfully that looks to be the case with the players too. The MVP talk is getting media attention because they have to talk about something, and it's always a hot topic every year. Even more this year with no clear cut frontrunner. The two Celtics that imo have a shot at awards this year are of course Tatum for MVP, and Brad Stevens for Executive of the Year. If Stevens doesn't win it then that award loses all credibility imo. Mazzulla also should have an outside shot at Coach of the Year. As a Celtics fan, I would like to see our guys get the recognition they deserve above other lesser deserving people, especially when they have made sacrifices to the success of the team above all else. Still, banner 18 is by far the #1 priority.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2024, 08:03:58 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 623
I think we all want a championship much more than seeing any Celtic win an individual award, and thankfully that looks to be the case with the players too. The MVP talk is getting media attention because they have to talk about something, and it's always a hot topic every year. Even more this year with no clear cut frontrunner. The two Celtics that imo have a shot at awards this year are of course Tatum for MVP, and Brad Stevens for Executive of the Year. If Stevens doesn't win it then that award loses all credibility imo. Mazzulla also should have an outside shot at Coach of the Year. As a Celtics fan, I would like to see our guys get the recognition they deserve above other lesser deserving people, especially when they have made sacrifices to the success of the team above all else. Still, banner 18 is by far the #1 priority.

As the best regular season team someone should win some award, right? Likely Brad. The narrative around Mazulla and Tatum not winning top honors is based on the talent that surrounds them so it follows Brad Steven’s should get his.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2024, 01:33:50 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738
I don't care if Tatum never wins the League MVP as long as he helps us win 2 - 3 titles.

Many people believe you have to have an MVP (or very close to it) on the roster in order to win a championship and history lends credibility to this thinking. Thus, one big reason why Celtic fans want Tatum to win the award. Either way, I want banners, as in more than just one from this group.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce