Author Topic: Noah Vonleh is coming to training camp  (Read 11312 times)

Re: Noah Vonleh is coming to training camp
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2022, 11:04:03 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd be happy with dunks and good defense, too.

Vonleh's problem was that he couldn't really bring the good defense his last couple years in the league.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2022, 11:26:57 AM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
Why not give Sullinger an invite.

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2022, 11:37:01 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
So forgettable I can't even remember how his strengths or weaknesses.

I used to never be able to tell Marquis Chriss, Vonleh and Bobby Portis apart.

Ah, good ol' Marquis Chriss. We really need a thread titled "Top 5 picks that nobody had thought of as top 5 until they got really hot right at the end of the season and got tons of media and GM coverage." Kris Dunn, we hardly knew ye.

Mike

Chriss and Dunn were still picked after Dragan Bender.

I remember many people on here were praying for the C’s to draft Bender. Thank god Danny passed.

I remember one poster, was it Coach Bo or something like that, who was extremely worked up over Bender but because he predicted (correctly) that Bender would be a bust.  It has been a while since I have seen anything from that poster.

All this just shows you what a crapshoot drafting is, even in the early lottery.  Danny did very well in the early lottery (Smart, Brown, Tatum).  Those are the picks that really hurt if you miss on them.  If you end up with a Chriss or a Bender or a Fultz instead of a Brown or Tatum, it really sets your team back.  Every draft, there are top 5 or top 10 picks that wash out, some years more than others.

People need to bear that in mind when they are so quick to criticize GMs for bad picks or for letting a great pick pass by.

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2022, 11:53:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why not give Sullinger an invite.

Because he stinks and can't play D, is a good reason not to give him an invite.

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2022, 11:57:44 AM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
Invite, not contract.

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2022, 01:26:12 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's a one-year contract, but I assume only the training camp portion is guaranteed.  Anybody know? I did some googling but no details on the deal.

Posted by: GreenBoomer
« on: Today at 11:57:44 AM »Insert Quote
Invite, not contract.
No, it's a contract according to every source I could find.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 01:49:51 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Keith Smith says there are playing time rules for foreign players in China that likely limited Vonleh's minutes there last year.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1554278823063158784

That’s encouraging as an explanation for his limited minutes. I guess we’ll see how much of his play against Chinese league comp translates to the NBA. Good luck to him.

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2022, 01:53:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Sortable Chinese Basketball Association stats for those who want to see how Vonleh matches up:

https://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/40/Chinese-CBA/stats/2022/Averages/Qualified/All/points/All/desc/1/Regular_Season

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2022, 01:56:56 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
It's a one-year contract, but I assume only the training camp portion is guaranteed.  Anybody know? I did some googling but no details on the deal.

Posted by: GreenBoomer
« on: Today at 11:57:44 AM »Insert Quote
Invite, not contract.
No, it's a contract according to every source I could find.

They're really the same thing.  Anyone in training camp has to be under some sort of contract for the upcoming NBA season.  It probably has a very minimal amount of money guaranteed, so sometimes that's referred to as an "invite" because it's not expect such a player will be on the roster opening day, but if after camp is over the Celtics want to keep him, they don't need to do anything else, as he's already signed to a contract.

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2022, 02:54:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I mean the guy played 68 games, starting 57 of them for the Knicks in 2018-19 and didn't stick on with them bouncing around the league for 2 seasons where he barely played before going to China.  And he was actually decent for the Knicks in 19 (8/8/2 with ok shooting splits).  Very strange he didn't stick around after that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2022, 03:09:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I mean the guy played 68 games, starting 57 of them for the Knicks in 2018-19 and didn't stick on with them bouncing around the league for 2 seasons where he barely played before going to China.  And he was actually decent for the Knicks in 19 (8/8/2 with ok shooting splits).  Very strange he didn't stick around after that.

I was curious - Was the team any good?

So I looked it up and they were 17 wins and 65 losses. Worst record in the league. 2nd worst SRS.

I looked at their roster and saw Kornet. Kornet played 17mpg in 46 games 17 starts for that Knicks team.

Their best players were Tim Hardaway Jr and Dennis Smith Jr.

DeAndre Jordan played 19 games for them 26mpg. Kanter played 25mpg for 46 games 23 starts. Those were their best big men in terms of competing with Vonleh and Kornet for playing time. Oh and a rookie Mitchell Robinson who also got 20mpg for 66 games 19 starts.

Knox led them in minutes played. Some guy named Dotson was #2 for minutes played. Vonleh was 3rd. Mudiay 4th. Hardaway 5th. Trier 6th. M Robinson 7th. Hezonja 8th. Kanter 9th. Ntilinka 10th. Kornet 11th. Then 10 other dudes most of whom are out of the league. Quite a few of their top 10 are out of or almost out of the league also.

30th in off efficiency. 26th in def efficiency.

Looking at Vonleh's most used lineups. He played PF quite a bit next to guys like Kanter or M Robinson. He played some C in extreme small-ball lineups with guys like Knox or Hezonja at PF next to Vonleh.

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2022, 05:03:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Reading tea leaves (completely guessing) it looks like Brad wants a long, fairly mobile backup center even if he doesn’t have a track record.

I think I’d go with one of the more veteran guys that have been talked about repeatedly.  Whiteside, DMC, Howard.

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2022, 09:18:32 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
He's got some NBA skills. I don't know why he was never able to put it together and stick somewhere but if he's got himself to where he can be a third big, he'd be an excellent third big to have.

If he's figured out what he has to do.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2022, 09:42:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Brad scraping the bottom of the barrel with Vonleh and Caboclo

I wonder if he's doing this to make Kornet look good by comparison in the eyes of the fan base.
you beat me to it. but at least this beats what the Sox have done the past few days.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2022, 11:06:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Vonleh can be the 14th man with Kornet the 15th man, as long as the 10th man is someone like Dwight Howard. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip