Author Topic: Luke Kornet Day  (Read 2059 times)

Luke Kornet Day
« on: August 01, 2022, 09:15:14 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Kornet isn't waived before the end of the day, his contract goes from $100k guaranteed to $300k guaranteed.

Anybody predicting a move?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Luke Kornet Day
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 09:25:48 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
If Kornet isn't waived before the end of the day, his contract goes from $100k guaranteed to $300k guaranteed.

He'll be here through training camp.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 09:25:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
He isn't going to be waived.  If the team had a full roster, I could see that, but as is they need to sign people.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 09:58:12 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I don't see the benefit of that. It's a waste of $200K. If they are going to let him go (which I believe is the case), they might as well do it now and benefit both the team and the player. Luke can make up that 200K overseas.

One thing Brad is trying to do this off-season is to get the roster set early so that so many players as possible go trough a full training camp.   The team wants to get out of the gate fast this year (and never look back, lol)

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 10:05:07 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I don't see the benefit of that. It's a waste of $200K. If they are going to let him go (which I believe is the case), they might as well do it now and benefit both the team and the player. Luke can make up that 200K overseas.

One thing Brad is trying to do this off-season is to get the roster set early so that so many players as possible go trough a full training camp.   The team wants to get out of the gate fast this year (and never look back, lol)

The Celtics clearly like Luke enough to pay him to stick around through training camp, go to Maine, and come back in February or March if they need to fill a roster spot after the deadline.

I don’t get the Kornet love, but it seems to be a mutually agreeable relationship.

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 10:10:49 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Have no idea why he’s receiving any guaranteed money to begin with. He’s 27, with no upside.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 10:37:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Spotrac has his guarantee as 8/15, but I guess they could be wrong.

Stevens just genuinely seems to like Luke as a person, so I can definitely see keeping him through training camp. Cutting him after that (~$1M guarantee after 1/10/23) would be a bit more difficult with the tax situation.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 10:41:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Have no idea why he’s receiving any guaranteed money to begin with. He’s 27, with no upside.
He is currently the 11th man and only center on the bench. 

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 10:52:10 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

That’s terrifying.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 11:01:48 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

That’s terrifying.

He’s the 12th man, and he’s the “only center on the bench” in a weird world in which you think teams regularly play three centers a game.  We have two centers and two PFs.  The two centers start, the PFs come off the bench, but the way rotations work we only need those four.

The panic about whether or not Luke Kornet will ultimately be our 15th man and 5th or 6th big is beyond crazy.  He’s tall, has some basketball skills, but also doesn’t complain about his role, which is an emergency big.  Younger players want playing time, older former starters want playing time.  Kornet knows who he is and does his job, which is to show up to practice, cheer his team on during the games, and see the floor in the last two minutes of a blowout.

I’d like a better emergency big, and expect that we will find one by the end of training camp, but in the meanwhile he’s there while the other emergency big candidates are sorting through their own options, potentially coming to terms that there are no roles for them on contenders that are much larger than that given to Luke Kornet.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 11:36:59 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

That’s terrifying.

He’s the 12th man, and he’s the “only center on the bench” in a weird world in which you think teams regularly play three centers a game.  We have two centers and two PFs.  The two centers start, the PFs come off the bench, but the way rotations work we only need those four.

The panic about whether or not Luke Kornet will ultimately be our 15th man and 5th or 6th big is beyond crazy.  He’s tall, has some basketball skills, but also doesn’t complain about his role, which is an emergency big.  Younger players want playing time, older former starters want playing time.  Kornet knows who he is and does his job, which is to show up to practice, cheer his team on during the games, and see the floor in the last two minutes of a blowout.

I’d like a better emergency big, and expect that we will find one by the end of training camp, but in the meanwhile he’s there while the other emergency big candidates are sorting through their own options, potentially coming to terms that there are no roles for them on contenders that are much larger than that given to Luke Kornet.

You left out the part where Rob misses time every year. It’s not a matter of if, it’s when. Al also needs to be load managed so he isn’t burnt out by the time the playoffs come around. He won’t be playing in back to backs. Ime ran him into the ground last year and he was out of gas by the ECF. Horford is also playing in FIBA for the D.R. this summer. All of this matters and is why you need a better backup C than Kornet.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 12:19:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That’s terrifying.

I have Kornet ahead of Hauser and both the 2-way players on the depth chart.  He is certainly more likely to play than Hauser when the team is healthy. 

I mean this is the roster

Guards - Smart, Brogdon, White, Pritchard, Davison (TW)
Wings - Tatum, Brown, Grant, Hauser, Kabengele (TW)
Bigs - Rob, Al, Gallo, Kornet

There are 3 open roster spots.  There is no way Kornet is cut.  He is cheap and knows the system.  If we are sitting there with 15 players under contract, then I think Kornet gets cut, but right now, not a chance. 

The roster just isn't deep.  It is why I was advocating so hard for Boston to use the TPE.  There are a lot of places the team could use some bench help.  A center being the top priority but not the other one. 

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 12:19:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
We can keep the Green Kornet while still signing a wing and a center, while maintaining one open roster spot.

I'd be fine with that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

That’s terrifying.

He’s the 12th man, and he’s the “only center on the bench” in a weird world in which you think teams regularly play three centers a game.  We have two centers and two PFs. The two centers start, the PFs come off the bench, but the way rotations work we only need those four.

The fact that we want to play Al and Rob together is the issue.
They played together for 761 minutes over 52 games last season.
We were 0-3 when they we're both out
8-10 when Freedom was the center off the bench
6-3 when Theis was the center off the bench.

Rob set career highs in mpg (29) and Games (61) and Minutes (1804)
Al payed 29 mpg for 69 games for 2005 minutes. After being shut down by OKC the previous year.
I just don't think we can count on even this much coverage next year. And even if we get it, that leaves 800+ minutes at the center spot to fill. Unless your willing to except Gallanari or Gwill at the center/5 spot I think the "only center on the bench" is going to get 800+ minutes, that would have been 10th in the rotation last year.

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2022, 01:26:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
https://twitter.com/John_Karalis/status/1558136378378027014

Grant Williams when asked who his favorite teammate is.  He said it's a hard tie, between Tatum and Kornet. 

So, maybe that's why Brad likes having him around.  Just having a mature, calm, family-oriented guy on the team?