Author Topic: ESPN "Seven trades for Kawhi." Ridiculous.  (Read 5383 times)

ESPN "Seven trades for Kawhi." Ridiculous.
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:54:18 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
ESPN did one of their "Seven trades we'd like to see for Kawhi Leonard" articles:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23295190/kawhi-leonard-trades-see-san-antonio-spurs-make-nba

I occasionally sense an underlying belief around here that ESPN has it in for Boston teams. Sometimes I just laugh it off, sometimes it hits home.

But what's with these trade suggestions? For example, they have Philly giving up Fultz, Covington and the No. 10 pick for Leonard. Portland gives up McCollum and a first. The Lakers give up Deng, Ball and Kuzma. Miami gives up pieces: Dragic, Richardson, Winslow, Adebayo.

I'm not saying that there aren't some decent prospects or players in that grouping, but here's what they suggest the Celtics give up:

Trade #1: Kyrie, 2018 #27 and "whatever other picks get the deal done."

Trade #2: Terry and Hayward for Kawhi and Mills.

Seriously? Prospects or decent players from everyone else, stars from the Celtics? DeMar DeRozan is the only other player they suggest that comes close.

I don't know who comes up with these ideas, but they need some help.*

Mike

*On the other hand, maybe they don't need help. They clearly did their job by getting me to click on the article and re-post it.

Re: ESPN "Seven trades for Kawhi." Ridiculous.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I noticed that too. The difference between Kyrie and every other player in those trade proposals is ridiculous. I had to scroll through the other trade proposals a second time to make sure I read them correctly. I would love to have Kawhi on the Celtics, but I'm not trading Kyrie to do it. 

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:19:33 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I noticed that too. The difference between Kyrie and every other player in those trade proposals is ridiculous. I had to scroll through the other trade proposals a second time to make sure I read them correctly. I would love to have Kawhi on the Celtics, but I'm not trading Kyrie to do it.

That's a compliment. What other team can give up a great player(s) to get Kawhi, and still have a ton of assets remaining?

I think people want to automatically put the price higher on a trade involving the Celtics, because we're the only team who can afford it. Obviously, GSW isn't trading one of their big 4, and no other team in the league has close to as many valuable pieces as we do. Kyrie, Hayward, big Al, Tatum, Brown, the Sac pick, even Smart and Rozier, we bring more chips to the table than any other team chasing GSW.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:24:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
LOL. That Philly one is laughably bad, but that Miami one?? That's beyond delirious

One of the comments had me cackling though. Gotta give it to the ESPN crowd for being absolutely moronic
There is absolutely no way the Sixers would put Dario Saric in this deal and if they did, there would be a revolt among Sixers fans ... Plus give up Markelle Fultz and a first-round pick? Seriously? Oh and Jarryd Bayless? I will send him to the Spurs just for playing! First Saric is the heart of the Sixers team. Secondly, once Fultz is healthy, you will have a Ben Simmons-like player who will better defense.

Talk about out of touch with reality, rofl. Really puts some of the bad takes you see on here in perspective. I've never been more appreciative of celticsblog
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:33:08 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
No thanks

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:33:10 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
LOL. That Philly one is laughably bad, but that Miami one?? That's beyond delirious

One of the comments had me cackling though. Gotta give it to the ESPN crowd for being absolutely moronic
There is absolutely no way the Sixers would put Dario Saric in this deal and if they did, there would be a revolt among Sixers fans ... Plus give up Markelle Fultz and a first-round pick? Seriously? Oh and Jarryd Bayless? I will send him to the Spurs just for playing! First Saric is the heart of the Sixers team. Secondly, once Fultz is healthy, you will have a Ben Simmons-like player who will better defense.

Talk about out of touch with reality, rofl. Really puts some of the bad takes you see on here in perspective. I've never been more appreciative of celticsblog

ROFL that stuff is rich!!! ;D

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am fine with the Cs deals they propose (not the 'whatever other picks' part, though); it's just that the other teams aren't giving up nearly enough.

I would gladly exchange Kyrie (and #27) for Kahwi and would have no problem upgrading Hayward and an expiring Rozier.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
It's like many people don't understand who Kawhi Leonard is, since he doesn't play with GSW or Lebron.

SAS wouldn't even consider most of those proposals. They're trying to bring KL back into the fold now, but if they don't and have to trade him, Philly, Miami, etc wouldn't even get a phone call with those offers.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
ESPN posted a similar kind of article like 1.5 months ago. They at one point even suggested LAL could get Kawhi by simply trading Ingram, whereas everyone else had to pay king's ransoms of sorts. And then a comment from a Lakers fan defending it was like, "Ingram is better and has a better future than all the prospects/players involved in the other deals, that's why" LOL talk about delusional  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 10:17:45 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

That's a compliment. What other team can give up a great player(s) to get Kawhi, and still have a ton of assets remaining?

I think people want to automatically put the price higher on a trade involving the Celtics, because we're the only team who can afford it. Obviously, GSW isn't trading one of their big 4, and no other team in the league has close to as many valuable pieces as we do. Kyrie, Hayward, big Al, Tatum, Brown, the Sac pick, even Smart and Rozier, we bring more chips to the table than any other team chasing GSW.

1000% of this.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I am fine with the Cs deals they propose (not the 'whatever other picks' part, though); it's just that the other teams aren't giving up nearly enough.

Agree 100% with this part of your post (though trading Hayward now strikes me as a cold move even for Ainge).  Some of these other deals are straight ripoffs.  If you expect the Celtics to trade Kyrie and then some for Kawhi, then other teams need similar outbound value in their deals.  Philly, let's talk about Simmons.  Fultz couldn't get on the court in the playoffs and you're trying to tell me that he can anchor a trade for an MVP candidate.  Come on.  LA, I need both Ingram and Ball.  Miami, sorry but no - you can't compete when other teams are offering real stars.  If I'm San Antonio, I also don't think I'm interested in that Toronto offer.  Demar is too [dang]ed expensive for what he contributes, and he's proven time and time again that he wilts when it matters.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
ESPN posted a similar kind of article like 1.5 months ago. They at one point even suggested LAL could get Kawhi by simply trading Ingram, whereas everyone else had to pay king's ransoms of sorts. And then a comment from a Lakers fan defending it was like, "Ingram is better and has a better future than all the prospects/players involved in the other deals, that's why" LOL talk about delusional  :laugh:
Ingram has a lot of potential though and played pretty darn well down the stretch.  I doubt he alone is enough for Leonard, but he probably is very highly thought of around the league.  Most likely more highly thought of then Brown as an example.  he isn't in the Simmons class of prospect I don't think, but he probably isn't that far behind him either. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Ingram has a lot of potential though and played pretty darn well down the stretch.  I doubt he alone is enough for Leonard, but he probably is very highly thought of around the league.  Most likely more highly thought of then Brown as an example.  he isn't in the Simmons class of prospect I don't think, but he probably isn't that far behind him either.

As always, young player stats on losing teams count for like 2/3 the stats of a young player stats on a winning team.

Ingram looks like he will be a good player, but he has yet to prove he can leverage his abilities into helping a winning team. It's not his fault, but he is unproven.

I still see him as a scoring (instead of facilitating) Nic Batum, who I really like. I'd like him on the Cs.

In trades like these, you see the media slant. Essentially they are saying Irving + draft picks = Ingram, which is ridiculous.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 11:19:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Ingram has a lot of potential though and played pretty darn well down the stretch.  I doubt he alone is enough for Leonard, but he probably is very highly thought of around the league.  Most likely more highly thought of then Brown as an example. 

Yeah, I'm sure that people around the league think more highly of the beanpole with inefficient scoring and no defense over the player who showed versatile defense and composure while scoring 18 points per game for a team that came within one quarter of making the Finals.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 11:19:45 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

??  Ingram didn't play down the stretch. He sat out 20 of their last 22 games.

More highly thought of than Brown after Brown's playoff performance? Perhaps, by some.

Personally, I wouldn't trade Brown for Ingram straight up. My impression, admittedly having only watched Ingram a handful of games, is that Ingram has a higher potential as a shooter, but isn't the athlete, and nowhere near the defender Brown is. If I had to bet my life on one of them becoming a perennial all star, I'd take Brown.