Author Topic: 2019 Mock Trade Deadline Discussion  (Read 11979 times)

Re: 2019 Mock Trade Deadline Discussion
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 09:48:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Pistons Mock Trade Deadline recap

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

The Detroit Pistons and Boston Celtics have agreed to a deal.   The Celtics receive Blake Griffin and Glenn Robinson III.  The Pistons receive Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown and the Kings 2019 first round pick.  If the Kings 2019 first round pick ends up #1 overall, the Pistons will instead receive the Sixers 2019 first round pick and the Clippers 2019 first round pick.   

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7uve2gt

I knew the Pistons were in bad shape but I didn't realize they were less than 500k below the tax line.  That made trade offers difficult since they certainly wouldn't want to pay luxury tax.   Josh Smith is still on their books for next season for 5.3M from his buyout and stretch.  I had no inquiries about Drummond, which is in stark contrast to what would have happened 2 years ago, but had several discussions regarding Griffin.  I strongly considered McCollum and Zach Collins for Griffin and Calderon but decided to go with the Boston deal.

Considering Hayward's poor play so far I think it probably would help Detroit's pick this season but I think Hayward will show significant improvement next season.  If he improved to his previous performance, might look to trade him at the next trade deadline.  Brown would have the opportunity to show his full potential on a talent limited team like the Pistons.  With the Kings pick and their own pick likely ending up in the lottery, the Pistons would potentially end up with two solid prospects.  The deal also allowed me to get off of Blake's last contract year.  Even if Hayward doesn't improve much, I think the trade would be a net positive for the Pistons.   

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2019, 06:53:52 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Spurs MockTrade Deadline recap

Trade #1
Trade Announcement:

The Washington Wizards have agreed on a trade with the San Antonio Spurs. In the trade, the Spurs would receive Dwight Howard and John Wall. The Wizards receive Pau Gasol, Dejoute Murray, and Lonnie Walker IV.

As part of the deal, John Wall has agreed to waive his trade kicker (per an unbiased third party decision), because he is being traded to a playoff team with a great coach in a state that has no state tax.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7t6hnb4

The Wizards wanted to do right by John Wall, but it became apparent in recent years that it was time to give Wall a new opportunity with a new team. Pau Gasol gives the Wizards an experienced unselfish basketball player to pair with their young core. They reportedly loved the pairing of Murray with  Beal and Satoransky in their future backcourt. They also really like Walker IV, and he will be given an opportunity to compete for minutes on the wing with Brown and Dekker.

In a related move, the Wizards have waived Chasson Randle to bring their roster to 14 players.

At first this seemed like a no brainer trading for Wall as I traded 3 players who were not playing for a hurt all star. I was really excited to get that first deal done after missing on a few but looking back this is the one trade I regret. Wall's contract is rediculous next year! I thought I could manage it and prepare but ultimately decided to just focus on this year. AND still went over the Lux Tax by a few million.
Next year is way worst and Spurs will need to shed salary next year.

Trade #2
TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycr3bhsv
(there is a glitch that is causing it to fail but it checks out)
Charlotte, Indiana and San Antonio have agreed to a 3 team trade. Details:

CHA gets Forbes, Collison, Pondexter,Aningbogu

IND gets Patty Mills

SAS gets Williams and Parker

Really liked this trade as it gave SAS a big that could shoot in Marvin Williams and brought parker Home. I felt like I rescued Parker and returned him home where he never should have been able to leave in the first place.  I really like Forbes but knew I was trading Demar and would have Belinelli as a backup SG.

Trade #3

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT
The Spurs, Blazers, and Nets have agreed to a 3 team trade.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycey2t9u

BKN will get Poeltl+ Cunningham+ 2019 TOR and 2019 SAS 1st  picks

POR will get Demar

SAS will get McCollum + Harris + 2019 POR 1st pick

This was the big trade for SAS. Demar is a really really good player but ultimately we didnt like having to take him out late in the game bc we needed a 3. McCollum is younger, puts up similar PPg and can shoot better than Demar.

Also got Joe Harris in this deal, whom was the hardest player to get. I really wanted a starting caliber SF and while Gay has been fantastic, he is aging and was on an expiring contract. It cost way more than I wanted to give up: 2 firsts and Poeltl but getting a first from POR eased the blow.

Trade #4
TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

The San Antonio Spurs have agreed to send Rudy Gay to the Houston Rockets for PJ Tucker and Isaiah Hartenstein.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yafyht3m

This last trade was an attempt to shave a few bucks and fill out the roster. It was late in the deadline and therefore was not able to shave enough to get under Lux Tax but happy with Tucker as backup SF and Hartenstein has been tearing up the G league, so is a very nice prospect.

END result:
PG: Wall(30%), Parker, White(35%)
SG: McCollum(36%), Belinelli(40%)
SF: Harris(46%), Tucker(38%)
PF: Williams(38%), Bertans(49%), Eubanks, Metu
C: Aldridge, Howard, Hartenstein

Lost SAS 19 first and TOR 19 first but gained POR 19 first

I really feel like this team can contend and challenge the warriors. It is an oilder team but has 3 scorers in Wall, McCollum, and Aldridge who are surrounded by shooters(the % listed above). The team also has an inside presence in Aldridge and Howard. Full of savvy veterans who have the experience to round out and complete the team: Belinelli, Parker, Tucker, Williams.
The one downfall besides age is $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and thats bc of Wall. If I could go back I would prly not make that trade but would do the others.
*Making 4 trades in one year is very very unlikely and it to be the Spurs would make it very very VERY unlikely to do this and pretty much flip the roster but I do like the team! (Would love the team if it werent for $$)
Wall's contract is horrible and he's out for the season and had a significant injury last season too.  In real life, Wall is pretty untradeable even if Washington gives up multiple 1sts. 

I was surprised that Mills contract (2 additional years for 25M+) was that bad for a 30 year old back up PG. 

The Gay trade was rather bad for the Spurs considering is adds nearly 10M in salary next season and nearly 8M in salary the next season.  Great trade for Houston to get the best player and get off that salary without giving up a pick. 

The McCollum for DeRozan trade was rather good.  Getting Harris was solid, cost controlled addition.  That's the one trade of the bunch that I would have done. 

If I did the calculations correctly, the Spurs would have approximately 146M committed to 12 players next season.  That assumes Howard picks up his option and the team option for Parker isn't picked up.  Ouch!!!   Then you have to add in all the luxury tax.  That's a lot of money for a small market team.

With the Houston trade, Hartenstein is basically the pick. Young player who is dominating in the g league avg nearly 20 ppg, 15 rebs and 2 blocks.

The Wall trade was a killer for salary next year... Good news is some of the players have 2 years left so they will be expiring and hopefully tradeable next year:Marvin Williams and Belinelli.

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2019, 06:58:00 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Raptors deadline recap.

We did nothing. We good

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2019, 07:01:52 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Bucks deadline recap.

Out: brogdon, Wilson, Snell
In: Matthews, spalding

Bucks felt they need to make space to enter the frwe agency sweepstakes so shedding salary became a top priority.

Forbthis season at least we have loaded our wings with very solid 3 and d wings to surround Giannis with. Move opens space to get wood into the rotation which makes us very happy

Hill
Matthews
Middleton
Giannis
Lopez

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Mavs Deadline Recap

Dallas made huge moves, giving up picks and capspace, but in return adding young stars to surround Doncic with and in the process forming what they believe is one of the most exciting teams in the league to watch.

Trade 1:
out: Matthews, Spalding
In: Brogdon, Snell, Wilson.

Dallas is very high on Brogdon and Wilson, adding positionally versatile Brogdon at the guard position can be another creator for Doncic as will as someone who can defend and knock down the 3. Willson is looking like he has the potential to be a very nice PF. Snell is a stinky contract, but works will as a 3andD of the bench.

Trade 2:
Harris, Barnes, DSJ, 2021 first and 2023 first to Charlotte for Walker, Batum and future second

On the outside it looks like Dallas could have just signed Kemba in the offseason, but not true as no capspace available (jordan is offseason priority)

Dallas adds another star, another clutch player, another allstar forming a deadly wing combination. Batum saves a little money on Barnes deal and brings a bit of everything to the 6th man role he will have here.

Team is now loaded full of youth and depth and dallas can now control both Brogdon and Kemba moving forward if a sign and trade is required due to things not working out perfectly as planned.

Kemba/Brunswon/Barrea
Brogdon/Snell/Broekhoff
Doncic/Batum/Finley-Smith
White/Kleber/Dirk
Jordan/Powell/Sejri

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 10:15:00 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
C's Mock Trade Deadline recap

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

The Detroit Pistons and Boston Celtics have agreed to a deal.   The Celtics receive Blake Griffin and Glenn Robinson III.  The Pistons receive Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown and the Kings 2019 first round pick.  If the Kings 2019 first round pick ends up #1 overall, the Pistons will instead receive the Sixers 2019 first round pick and the Clippers 2019 first round pick.   

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7uve2gt

Hayward has been a mess and didn't see him playing over Tatum or Morris come playoffs. I wanted off his contract since Tatum is clearly the future at SF. I still hope to resign Morris in the offseason. Brown wasn't going to start or close over Smart and Tatum so felt he was expendable if we could land a top ten talent, which I feel Griffin is. Kings have been decent and in this mock they picked up Porter so I didn't love that pick anymore. I do realize some might consider the trade an overpay but Griffin is a multiple time all-star and I'm sure this puts the C's in the finals. We also kept the rest of our picks to try for Davis if he becomes available.

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 11:14:28 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Celtics Deadline Recap

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

Shams Charania is reporting that the Indiana Pacers have acquired D'Angelo Russell and Allen Crabbe from the Brooklyn Nets in exchange for Tyreke Evans + Bojan Bogdanović and Indiana's 2020 1st Round draft pick.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yaawd5xr

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycr3bhsv
(there is a glitch that is causing it to fail but it checks out)
Charlotte, Indiana and San Antonio have agreed to a 3 team trade. Details:

CHA gets Forbes, Collison, Pondexter,Aningbogu

IND gets Patty Mills

SAS gets Williams and Parker

The Indiana Pacers made two trades this deadline. The first one was pre-Oladipo injury and designed to get him some backcourt help at PG. I envisioned a high powered backcourt duo that could 1.) play together with D'Angelo's ability to shoot paired with Dipo's abiliy to get to the rim and their shared ballhanding skills 2.) either one could be the lynchpin of the offense while the other sits and we never lose fire power.

Would've been a beautiful pairing. Darn quad tendons.

Post-Oladipo injury, Pacers needed a veteran guard to help steer the ship and mentor Russell. Enter Patty Mills. He's a championship caliber guy who could provide offensive an spark. Given the severity of Dipo's injury, he may miss the beginning of next season and will take some time to return to form once he does return so there was a need to get a guard that was already under contract. Trading Darren Collison's expiring for Mills' similar cap commitment alleviates the need to invest big money in Collison.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman