Poll

Who do you have as MVP so far? (3 votes possible)

Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks)
25 (33.8%)
Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
5 (6.8%)
Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans)
4 (5.4%)
Kevin Durant (Golden State Warriors)
3 (4.1%)
Joël Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers)
2 (2.7%)
Paul George (Oklahoma City Thunder)
1 (1.4%)
Tobias Harris (Los Angeles Clippers)
0 (0%)
Kyrie Irving (Boston Celtics)
4 (5.4%)
LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers)
15 (20.3%)
Nikola Jokic (Denver Nuggets)
0 (0%)
Kawhi Leonard (Toronto Raptors)
14 (18.9%)
Damian Lillard (Portland Trailblazers)
0 (0%)
Nikola Vucevic (Orlando Magic)
0 (0%)
Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)
1 (1.4%)
James Harden (Houston Rockets)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: March 19, 2019, 05:11:21 PM

Author Topic: MVP race 2018/2019  (Read 3404 times)

Re: MVP race 2018/2019
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 09:33:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
BTW Nick, the Lakers were 4-6 before they signed Tyson Chandler and have gone 13-4 since his signing.  Why isn't Chandler your MVP as there is a clear baseline for the win improvement when he joined the team?  Especially given all of the advanced metrics have him rated incredibly highly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 10:59:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
BTW Nick, the Lakers were 4-6 before they signed Tyson Chandler and have gone 13-4 since his signing.  Why isn't Chandler your MVP as there is a clear baseline for the win improvement when he joined the team?  Especially given all of the advanced metrics have him rated incredibly highly.
Yeah, and Giannis is having a season very similar to last year with basically the same team. What's different? Coach Budenholzer. Guess he must be the MVP.

Look, we can get as snarky with each other as we want but as I said earlier wins make a difference to me. You like another stat. Nothing wrong with either. I think both should be considered and more. And those stats are going to lean both ways. Lebron scores more and assists more. Giannis rebounds more. Lebron  and Giannis have the same win shares but Lebron has has those wins shares on a team with less wins but Giannis has a higher WS/48. I could go on and on. I think their PERs, eFG% and TS% are about equal. Giannis is a much better defender but Lebron's supporting cast sucks compared to Giannis' so gets less support.

I think it's close. But expectations were LA would get a low seed or be in the lottery, Milwaukee's was a top 3 team in their conference. When I weigh all these things, I like Lebron for MVP. You like Giannis. Cool. And I happen to think the Freak will win it though I find Lebron more deserving.

Strangely enough, looking at all the stats, it could be argued Steph Curry might be having a better than both Lebron and Giannis.

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yeah, and Giannis is having a season very similar to last year with basically the same team. What's different? Coach Budenholzer. Guess he must be the MVP.

Look, we can get as snarky with each other as we want but as I said earlier wins make a difference to me. You like another stat. Nothing wrong with either. I think both should be considered and more. And those stats are going to lean both ways. Lebron scores more and assists more. Giannis rebounds more. Lebron  and Giannis have the same win shares but Lebron has has those wins shares on a team with less wins but Giannis has a higher WS/48. I could go on and on. I think their PERs, eFG% and TS% are about equal. Giannis is a much better defender but Lebron's supporting cast sucks compared to Giannis' so gets less support.

I think it's close. But expectations were LA would get a low seed or be in the lottery, Milwaukee's was a top 3 team in their conference. When I weigh all these things, I like Lebron for MVP. You like Giannis. Cool. And I happen to think the Freak will win it though I find Lebron more deserving.

Strangely enough, looking at all the stats, it could be argued Steph Curry might be having a better than both Lebron and Giannis.
Sure, but why you are attributing the wins to Lebron?  Why aren't you giving them to Chandler? The Lakers were a 40% win team before Chandler showed up.  They had the exact same roster and coaching staff, yet he shows up and they turn it around.  Why isn't he your MVP if wins are what matter, as you can clearly connect him showing up with the Lakers winning.  You can't do that with Lebron, both because they were 4-6 before Chandler, but also because Lebron wasn't the only addition to the Lakers this past summer.

And for the record, 4 of the Bucks top 8 for minutes were not on the Bucks last year. They aren't exactly the same team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:19 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It’s early, but so far it’s Theis.

Undefeated as a starter. 133 ORtg, 87 DRtg.

Sheer dominance.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 10:05:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sure, but why you are attributing the wins to Lebron?  Why aren't you giving them to Chandler? The Lakers were a 40% win team before Chandler showed up.  They had the exact same roster and coaching staff, yet he shows up and they turn it around.  Why isn't he your MVP if wins are what matter, as you can clearly connect him showing up with the Lakers winning.  You can't do that with Lebron, both because they were 4-6 before Chandler, but also because Lebron wasn't the only addition to the Lakers this past summer.

And for the record, 4 of the Bucks top 8 for minutes were not on the Bucks last year. They aren't exactly the same team.
Okay. Stay snarky. I tried to throw out an olive branch saying both views were cool. Have a great day.