13 (52%)
Jayden Daniels (if available at #3)
8 (32%)
JJ McCarthy (Assume Trade Down)
2 (8%)
Michael Penix (Trade down even further)
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Poll: Which QB Option is the Best?  (Read 5270 times)

Re: Poll: Which QB Option is the Best?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2024, 06:33:48 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
We can debate about Daniels and Maye but I got to be honest, I really don't see it with McCarthy. He can be a decent QB I guess, maybe slightly better than a Mac Jones but not by a huge margin. It's obvious he's getting a ton of hype and buzz because there are a handful of QB-needy teams. I actually would prefer Penix over McCarthy if given the choice between the two.

Ultimately... as of today I think I would keep #3 and use it to take Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels. Yes I'd still pick Daniels at 3 if Commanders take Maye and he's available despite some of the risks.

The only way I trade down is if a team gives a godfather offer (3+ first round picks and/or a star player like a Jefferson in package), or if the Pats decide to trade down, and then trade back up into the 5-8 range to take someone like McCarthy. I can talk myself into that scenario even though I'm not high on McCarthy myself. Taking him at 3 though feels idiotic but again, just my opinion.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2024, 06:35:11 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

It is amazing how hard it is to judge QBs.

This is why it doesn’t matter who the “experts” like or don’t like. No one knows.  Half the experts will be right on Maye and half will be wrong - and next year they’ll all claim to know who the best prospect is in that draft. 

My dream scenario would be that Brady confides to Kraft that he’ll come back 6 games in. The Pats trade for AJ Brown, select Alt with number 3 (possibly trade down) then grab another WR prospect. Bolster the line with later picks.  Brady probably falters (has to happen eventually right?) but how much potential fun would next season be?

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2024, 11:21:43 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd be for trading down with Vikes (11, 23 and future 2nd) Get a best LT available at 11, and then top WR available at 23. Really feel the Pats OL and receivers are just too terrible for any QB to succeed here.

Draft QB Milton as a development project that can maybe be ready to start week 9ish.

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2024, 06:16:21 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I'd be for trading down with Vikes (11, 23 and future 2nd) Get a best LT available at 11, and then top WR available at 23. Really feel the Pats OL and receivers are just too terrible for any QB to succeed here.

Draft QB Milton as a development project that can maybe be ready to start week 9ish.

Wow, Joe Milton, that is going deep.

I am not about to try and predict who might be a sleeper QB in this draft, maybe Joe Milton is that guy, you never know.  Maybe he is the next Dak Prescott or something.  But that would be the ideal scenario.  If you can trade down, pick up a boat load of picks to restock the OL and receiver corps, and also get lucky and get a legit QB further down somewhere.

Very risky approach, but nice result if by some miracle, you find that sleeper QB that everyone else passes on.  I am not sure the Pats have the stomach to try something like this.

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 11:05:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
If the Pats would do that trade, Minnesota would have already done it.  I think it will take the 2 1st this year, plus the first next year, and maybe another pick to move from 11 to 3.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2024, 08:55:55 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
The Patriots are a QB needy team in a good QB draft in pole position to get a good QB prospect. If they like Maye/Daniels (aka whoever is at 3,) I would want an irresponsible trade package to move out of that slot.

QB is such an important position, and a lot of drafts have nothing to offer at that slot. If you like the player, you should take him at 3.

I love Maye, and think he is worth the risks. If the Vikings do something stupid like 4 1sts and a couple 2nds, you have to think about it. Short of that, swing on the QB.
#JKJB

« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 08:46:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We’re now less than a week away from the 2024 NFL draft, and LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels is the odds-on favorite to go second overall to the Washington Commanders.

That’s reflected in betting odds, and it’s reflected in most mock drafts, as well. However, there could be a potential hangup: According to the pre-draft rumor mill, Daniels has some hesitation about playing in Washington.

ESPN NFL insider Jeremy Fowler addressed these rumors recently on SportsCenter, and he didn’t exactly shoot them down.

“Well, there’s a little bit of smoke there,” Fowler said, per On3. “So, people I talk to with the Commanders and other teams, they do believe Daniels is the favorite to be the pick at No. 2. Nothing set in stone of course, it is the draft. But I’m talking to somebody close with Daniels who believes that he has at least openly wondered about his options.”

If there's any truth to the rumor that Daniels doesn't like Washington, what's his alternative?

The Patriots seem to be in an equally bad (or worse) situation.  The only QB-needy teams that look like they're potentially a better situation are Minnesota and Vegas.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 10:14:58 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
We’re now less than a week away from the 2024 NFL draft, and LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels is the odds-on favorite to go second overall to the Washington Commanders.

That’s reflected in betting odds, and it’s reflected in most mock drafts, as well. However, there could be a potential hangup: According to the pre-draft rumor mill, Daniels has some hesitation about playing in Washington.

ESPN NFL insider Jeremy Fowler addressed these rumors recently on SportsCenter, and he didn’t exactly shoot them down.

“Well, there’s a little bit of smoke there,” Fowler said, per On3. “So, people I talk to with the Commanders and other teams, they do believe Daniels is the favorite to be the pick at No. 2. Nothing set in stone of course, it is the draft. But I’m talking to somebody close with Daniels who believes that he has at least openly wondered about his options.”

If there's any truth to the rumor that Daniels doesn't like Washington, what's his alternative?

The Patriots seem to be in an equally bad (or worse) situation.  The only QB-needy teams that look like they're potentially a better situation are Minnesota and Vegas.

This narrative flared up a week or so ago.  It didn't make any sense that he would prefer the NE situation to WAS.  WAS actually has a fairly strong fan base.  The roster isn't in any worse shape than NE's.

The only scenario that I can construct that makes sense is that maybe MIN likes him.  MIN would trade up for him but not for Maye.  NE is willing to trade with MIN if Daniels falls to 3 because WAS takes Maye.  But WAS isn't willing to trade with MIN.  So if Daniels can talk his way out of being picked by WAS, then he can get to MIN.

That is a lot of dots to connect.  Plus Daniels is from CA, went to school in AZ and TX.  MIN does play in a dome but does he really want to play there?  I have some doubts about all of this.

« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 11:02:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

This narrative flared up a week or so ago.  It didn't make any sense that he would prefer the NE situation to WAS.  WAS actually has a fairly strong fan base.  The roster isn't in any worse shape than NE's.

The only scenario that I can construct that makes sense is that maybe MIN likes him.  MIN would trade up for him but not for Maye.  NE is willing to trade with MIN if Daniels falls to 3 because WAS takes Maye.  But WAS isn't willing to trade with MIN.  So if Daniels can talk his way out of being picked by WAS, then he can get to MIN.

That is a lot of dots to connect.  Plus Daniels is from CA, went to school in AZ and TX.  MIN does play in a dome but does he really want to play there?  I have some doubts about all of this.

MIN is a better situation that either WSH or NE right now.  Offense is much more equipped for a plug & play QB than either WSH or NE.  I could see why a prospect would be tempted to try and steer themself there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team